Link Posted: 6/18/2001 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.texasrepublic.com/flaglaw.html[/url]
Adding the gold fringe 'suspends the Constitution?'

Where's that from?

Eric The('Other'RepublicOfTexas)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The Flag is a advertisement of the nation it represents. The Flag of this nation is supposed to be displayed unadorned by law. Changing the manner in which it is displayed,(fringe, ball, eagle, spire on top of the staff) changes/ misrepresents what the Flag is meant to represent. Same as when you go into a court of law in the United States, all perons in the court are supposed to be on the same level (inuendo of equality). If the judge is seated on a elavated bench, this is also improper. Sorry, I don`t have the reference on this at hand. Will post it whenI find it once again, unless somebody can help me out here. The whole point being that our system does not and misrepresents what it is supposed to be, and what it represents itself as representing, intentionally or not. Myself, I don`t believe in coincedence.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey - what IS the deal with gold fringes on the flag???

I was under the impression that gold fringes were ONLY for military and court room flags.

The question comes up as we recently put flags at the front of the santuary at church. WITH fringes.

ANy help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Did anyone notice what it waid was the proper item on top of the pole for an American flag?  A plain ball?
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#5]
What it says is that The Flag of the United States of America is to be displayed UNADORNED. That means no fringe, no ball, no eagle, no spire, no teletubbi, nothing. To add anything is adorment. Moreover, the flaggs you see in court, federal, state, municipal places with these adornmemts, are representitive of the military, (marschal law). Do I think we`re under marschal law, probaly not. But just the same, it`s a improper display, and all those who claim to be American and display the Flag as a representation of that, should do it properly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I read somewhere that the fringe represents maritime law as opposed to common law.

All I know is that my flag has no fringe, but my old bell-bottoms do! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
What a bunch of paranoid claptrap.  The reason that folks fly flags with fringe and with eagles on the top of the flagpole is that they look neat and they don't know any better.

Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I went and measured all of the flags that I have and most have a ratio of between 1.6 and 1.7.  I do have one that has the legal 1.9 ratio and it looks out of proportion because we're so used to looking at shorter flags.

The 1.7 ratio is probably used because, as I recall, that is the golden rectangle of classical architecture.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top