Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:45:22 AM EDT
A friend has one, and the first thing that occurred to me was that it should be curved the other way.

Think about it - the outer edges are curved IN, so that NARROWS the field of view. If the screen were curved the other way - the outer edges curved back - it would WIDEN the field of view.

I laugh at your high-dollar curved TV's.

That's all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
nope, you're wrong
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh, nope.  Idea is a more consistent viewing angle across the screen.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Curved TVs are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  Might make a tiny bit of sense as a computer monitor, but in a living room, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Right. They don't need to be curved. A flat screen is just fine, and OP has a good point. They are just coming up with crazy shyt to sell more stuff.

Think about it -- even these huge screens at movies are not curved as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread has potential.  OP, you do not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right. They don't need to be curved. A flat screen is just fine, and OP has a good point. They are just coming up with crazy shyt to sell more stuff.

Think about it -- even these huge screens at movies are not curved as far as I know.
View Quote

IMAX
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't want a curved TV screen.

My 34" curved computer monitor is freaking awesome though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This thread has potential.  OP, you do not.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Curved screens are just bc they have the tech to do it. Flat makes way more sense from a viewing experience.

It's a gimmick to sell to the peeps that gotta have the 'new shiny'
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you sit dead center it's better, if you sit off center it's worse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
lol OP so wrong
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Curved TVs are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  Might make a tiny bit of sense as a computer monitor, but in a living room, not so much.
View Quote

This.

In a large format 100"+ (like a theater), it makes some sense, but for a small direct view display in a non light controlled room, it is exactly as described (solution in search of a problem or the answer to a question nobody was asking).

And the glare.....oh God the glare.

I try to steer clients away from curved tvs. Have grudgingly provided 2-3 of them over the past few years. Currently working on a project where the cabinet is being built to match the arc of the display. Asthetically speaking it will probably look awesome, but meh from a performance point of view.

IMO, curved tvs will quietly go away soon.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got our first curved TV, a Samsung 50" Smart 4K TV in January. I will not be watching any other TV in my house ever again.

No camera on this unit, turned off the voice recognition for added protection. Built in internet browser works fine to surf ARFCOM at night with the blueooth pointer remote. Than means it works from under the covers in the winter LOL. Apps like Pluto, Crackle, Hulu, Netflix and the ever important for gun vids Youtube work excellent. It can do more but thats all I need. When viewing 4k content the picture is like nothing I have ever seen.  If it was curved the other way I don't think I would want it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope, you are wrong....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
OP Fails.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP Fails.
View Quote

Yep. I think he's curved thewrong way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
distance to the center of a regular TV is shorter than to the edges.

It is curved the correct way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes they are.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

In a large format 100"+ (like a theater), it makes some sense, but for a small direct view display in a non light controlled room, it is exactly as described (solution in search of a problem or the answer to a question nobody was asking).

I try to steer clients away from curved tvs. Have grudgingly provided 2-3 of them over the past few years. Currently working on a project where the cabinet is being built to match the arc of the display. Asthetically speaking it will probably look awesome, but meh from a performance point of view.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Curved TVs are no longer the new hotness.  It's 4K TVs.  If curved had a place you'd see curved 4K TVs being the newest hotness.  But they're not the new hotness and curved TVs going out with non-4K TVs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

IMAX
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMAX
Projection is different, curved screen makes the lenses easier to design / build.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A friend has one, and the first thing that occurred to me was that it should be curved the other way.

Think about it - the outer edges are curved IN, so that NARROWS the field of view. If the screen were curved the other way - the outer edges curved back - it would WIDEN the field of view.

That's all.
View Quote

The apparent viewing area of the screen - assuming it's curved the same amount in both cases - is smaller when it's curved away from you for reasons of linear perspective.   It's also smaller than a flat screen of the same size.  Additionally, you're going to get even more distortion than a flat screen  

Maybe we should turn this thread into one of those "I ain't ever gonna use math/geometry in everyday life" threads.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#23]
GF gave me a Samsung 9500. While there are many features I'm impressed with, I think the curved screen is a gimmick insofar as there isn't any noticeable difference on center, or high off bore sight in my living room. Seems the same as my last flat screen
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#24]
most people have over 180* field of veiw, but can only focus on 3* of their veiw
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  In reality, with a family and multiple people watching, it may be better for 1 or 2 and worse for others.

For a lone dude with an ideal setup, a little better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Curved TVs are no longer the new hotness.  It's 4K TVs.  If curved had a place you'd see curved 4K TVs being the newest hotness.  But they're not the new hotness and curved TVs going out with non-4K TVs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Wat.

There are a ton of 4k curved TVs
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Advertising gimmick.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That's all.
View Quote
Wrong

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I think that the curve solves some of the light problems people have with big screen TVs and bright open windows. I had to turn my flat screen a bit away from my sliding glass door. It can get reflection/washed out when it's noon to 3 pm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top