Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 4:27:55 AM EDT
Reading their reactions to the new documents, I have been amazed at the amount of denial and rejection of any possiblity of reality, but this guy is nuts:

"If it was an IBM Selectric, he could have just changed the typeball to one with a smaller font size, manually raised the platen 1/2 a line, and typed a "t" and an "h".

Then, he could have replaced the original typeball, and returned the platen to the original position.

Also note, that no special "th" character is needed."

He really thinks this is a valid train of thought?  Who is going to do that?  WHO?

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
wtf are you talking about
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The biggest political story of the day:  CBS tried to pass some blatently forged memos that bad mouthed Bush's Guard duty and was caught red-handed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The biggest political story of the day:  CBS tried to pass some blatently forged memos that bad mouthed Bush's Guard duty and was caught red-handed.

Yup...in a nutshell...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Reading their reactions to the new documents, I have been amazed at the amount of denial and rejection of any possiblity of reality, but this guy is nuts:

"If it was an IBM Selectric, he could have just changed the typeball to one with a smaller font size, manually raised the platen 1/2 a line, and typed a "t" and an "h".

Then, he could have replaced the original typeball, and returned the platen to the original position.

He really thinks this is a valid train of thought?  Who is going to do that?  WHO?

He is prob trying to defend his handywork.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You wouldn't bother doing that if you were just typing the document, but you WOULD do that if you were attempting to FORGE a document to try to cover the other forgeries...and besides, it doesn't explain the TIMES ROMAN FONT!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What bureaucratic paper-pusher is going to go through all that for a superscript?  These guys need muzzles to go along with their blinders.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone needs to go to jail.  Will it happen?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, mabey when the guy typed the original document he did all that covert stuff
to make the Dems look bad in the future.

GM
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey, mabey when the guy typed the original document he did all that covert stuff
to make the Dems look bad in the future.

Yeah, yeah, it was Karl Rove, EARLY in his career when he was working as an admin clerk in the Air Force.  That's the ticket, it's a long range plot by that evil genius Karl Rove...

What a bunch of clueless n00bs at CBS.  Sheesh.

- CD

PS: Where's my tinfoil hat?  Oh, I have it on already....  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I can see someone having to go down but putting up a  fight.... but for Christ sake, eject if you have to.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Someone needs to go to jail. Will it happen?

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Morons.

All that is irrelevant when the document can be retyped on a modern PC in Word, printed, and overlayed on top of the original with all the text lining up perfectly. The probability that it would align so perfectly to ANY machine that created a document back then is virtually zero.

CBS was complicit in a fraud. If so many average people online can so readily see it, they could have also. They chose to go with the story to wound GWB. CBS News has ZERO integrity, and should die a flaming death in the ratings.

Have CBS released the name of their "document expert" who validated the memos yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup, they say we are the ones that lie and cheat, yet all the while, they lie and cheat to try and prove that we lie and cheat!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
What also gets me is how much they HATE the media for being against them about everything.  Lord...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Someone needs to go to jail.  Will it happen?

At least tie them up in court and use their resources for libel and slander suits.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the Justice Dept. should arrest Dan RAthER during the evening news, haul him off the set and hold him as an enemy combatant, lock him up with his buddy Sadam and they can swap stories and be butt buddies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think the Justice Dept. should arrest Dan RAthER during the evening news, haul him off the set and hold him as an enemy combatant, lock him up with his buddy Sadam and they can swap stories and be butt buddies.

But Dan Rather would like that.  How about instead, he is lectured too, non-stop by 3rd graders on the meaning of patriotism and integrity?  Give him a few months of that and he will kill himself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#19]
What? Like you guys have never gone to all this trouble to write a simple memo
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's see - forging government documents. . .isn't that a crime?  Even if they are memos, they were supposedly created by a government offical - one even considered an "order". . .
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
(eta)sent through above link:

Mr. Rather sacrificed what little journalistic integrity he may have had to air reports, based on VERY suspect documents, critical of President Bush.  Reports are now being made that these documents were OBVIOUS fakes.

A journalist of his standing should resign over this nonsense.

I do not watch the CBS Evening News.  I will not.  When and if I discover who advertises during this show, I will contact their management and inform them that I will not purchase their products or services until Mr. Rather's employment with CBS is ended.

Perhaps Mr. Goldberg was right.

Sincerely,

(Brisk322)
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So he's suggesting someone in 1973 went through the effort to put a superscript "th" in a minor, inconsequential document so the document would match the fonts in a software program which wouldn't be invented for many years? It couldn't be known in 1973 that these documents would ever be seen again, so why the effort for  this document?

Edit: Fixed year and some grammar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top