Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 2:17:58 PM EDT
So my grandfather walked back into the mountains here in Washington state to a Air Force plane which crashed back in the 40's.   The location of this plane is well known around here and it has been stripped clean in the last 60 years.   Anyway, I found two 50 caliber bullets which my Grandfather took from this AF plane and the bullets have been sitting in the basement for the last 60 years.

Are these rounds dangerous?   Could they blow up if dropped?  Can I shoot them out of a 50 cal?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Only on the receiving end....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They are pretty dangerous if you load them into a Barrett and point it at something.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Dnagerous? No.   Shoot them out of a .50 rifle? No.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, if you drop them and strike the primer they could go bang.

If you want to have some real fun, tie a 2' ribbon to the round and and tape a BB to the primer,
throw it 20 - 30' in the air and watch what happens (after taking cover).
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
"Are old 50 cal rounds dangerous?"

HELL YES, FROM WHAT I HEAR THEY CAN SHOOT DOWN SATELLITES!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"Are old 50 cal rounds dangerous?"

HELL YES, FROM WHAT I HEAR THEY CAN SHOOT DOWN SATELLITES!

Wow I thought they could only shoot through schools, I guess it shows what I know.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If they've been stored in a cool dry place, they are still good to go.
The primers are corrosive, so I wouldn't sjhoot them unless you want to be scrubbing a bore with hot soapy water then giving it a real good cleaning to neutralize the salts.

Other than that. Yeah, shoot 'em. Just not in my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If they've been stored in a cool dry place, they are still good to go.
The primers are corrosive, so I wouldn't sjhoot them unless you want to be scrubbing a bore with hot soapy water then giving it a real good cleaning to neutralize the salts.

Other than that. Yeah, shoot 'em. Just not in my rifle.

Just run a windex/ammonia solution soaked patch once or twice down the bore and clean as usual. Shooting corrosive ammo is not as big a deal as many people might claim, especially in old bolt actions.

ETA: How to clean after shooting corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]
That wouldn't happen to be the B-17 in Tull Canyon in the Olympics?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, if you drop them and strike the primer they could go bang.

If you want to have some real fun, tie a 2' ribbon to the round and and tape a BB to the primer,
throw it 20 - 30' in the air and watch what happens (after taking cover).

"Hey! Watch this!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That wouldn't happen to be the B-17 in Tull Canyon in the Olympics?

BTDT  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top