Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2002 2:39:49 PM EDT
Hey guys, a range friend of mine told me he's selling his 9mm carbine for $1400. It looks great but I've seen him run hundreds of rounds of that crappy "Wolf" ammo thru it.

My question being: is this a "blowback" system or does it use a gas system like on regular AR's. My concern is if is a "gas" system, I'll be afraid to buy it due to the high number of substandard rounds thru it and the fouling it will cause.

If its a blowback system, I doubt the ammo choice make a difference and I'd probably buy it.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Blowback...

What kind of 9mm Carbine?

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6249006[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The one I'm looking at is a pre-ban, Colt collapsible-stock, w/flash-suppresor and 12-magazines. Not a post-ban w/muzzle brake & one mag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's blowback operated.  If you want more info, here's a link:

[url]http://home.indy.net/~shooter2/ar9.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Blowback.  You should see them bumpfire!!!

The COLT magazines sell for $100 (20rd) each and $139 (32rd)at recent guns shows.  I have one seen 2 for sale since 1999.  I got mine back in 1995, but the magazines are almost impossible to find.  Slightly modified UZI mags work okay, but the bolt won't stay back.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a 2 piece magwell adapter from Brownells and modify it to use $2 Sten mags from TAPCO!!! I have done this with the help (instructions) from several other board members here!! If you need or want the instructions email me and I can send them to you. It can be done with only hand tools and a Dremel and the money you save will be huge.

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The one I'm looking at is a pre-ban, Colt collapsible-stock, w/flash-suppresor and 12-magazines. Not a post-ban w/muzzle brake & one mag.
View Quote

If you have a chance to buy a preban Colt for $1,400 you shouldn't be thinking about it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have a chance to buy a preban Colt for $1,400 you shouldn't be thinking about it.
View Quote

Exactly.  You shouldn't spend that much on one!!  That is way too overpriced!!!  Why don't you give me this guy's contact information and I will set him straight. [;)]

Remember when these "pre-ban" 9mm were around $500 brand new?????  [:(]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a 2 piece magwell adapter from Brownells and modify it to use $2 Sten mags from TAPCO!!! I have done this with the help (instructions) from several other board members here!! If you need or want the instructions email me and I can send them to you. It can be done with only hand tools and a Dremel and the money you save will be huge.

[beer]
View Quote

I think my Colt takes Sten mags too.  But they do not hold back the bolt when empty.

Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[beer]
View Quote

I think my Colt takes Sten mags too.  But they do not hold back the bolt when empty.

View Quote

Neither does an MP5, an UZI, or an AK-47.  No one complains about those. For $100 per mag I would rather save the $98 and not have it myself!! If you Colt will take Sten mags the original Colt mags should not work because the Stens are much deeper.

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
what about those south african mags that cdnn sells cheap?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
what about those south african mags that cdnn sells cheap?
View Quote

I understand those are UZI knock offs and can be modified to work the same as an UZI mag. You would still use the normal unmodified magwell adapter for those, on a Colt 9mm system.

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top