Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/26/2022 6:29:50 PM EDT
I’m not
Just did a loan for a retired enlisted guy for $102k on a 2021 Escalade.
5%

No signs of slowing, so maybe it’s just going to be a brick wall instead of coasting to a stop
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The company for which I work, f500, makes consumer products.  We are seeing target, Costco, etc sales slowing hard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My household we have reigned things in a bit.  

I’m meal prepping and taking food to work instead of dropping 12-15 bucks a day on lunch.

We aren’t poor but we are cutting back some.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The company for which I work, f500, makes consumer products.  We are seeing target, Costco, etc sales slowing hard.
View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Because one retard gets a $100k+ vehicle loan, we're making nationwide blanket statements? Please update us in 4 months when homeboy can't make his car payments for a revised nationwide blanket statement based off of one dude.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
GDP dropped 1.5% in the last month, that is not a good sign.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife seems to single handedly support Costco
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Monday
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
It's slowing down at work. All of the open positions are on hold. I'm barely going out, cooking at home. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because one retard gets a $100k+ vehicle loan, we're making nationwide blanket statements? Please update us in 4 months when homeboy can't make his car payments for a revised nationwide blanket statement based off of one dude.
View Quote

No, I’m asking a question and polling the community. That’s the most outrageous loan I’ve done today

Thanks for your insights
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I see it slowing.

Your example is interesting, but maybe an outlier?  Retired/fixed income folks aren’t concerned with things like layoffs, etc.  So inflation/purchasing power is the only thing likely to slow down their purchases.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t think anyone wants to admit it, but I believe there has been a significant drop in consumer spending around my area. One of the hottest car lots in the area has been full of 1-2 year old cars for a couple months now. The trucks especially are no longer moving.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep same here..  Mothers Day was a good bump but we are not seeing the increase that we normally see going into Memorial day weekend... this week is about even with last where it is normally up
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t think anyone wants to admit it, but I believe there has been a significant drop in consumer spending around my area. One of the hottest car lots in the area has been full of 1-2 year old cars for a couple months now. The trucks especially are no longer moving.
View Quote

Hell, would YOU buy something that got 15 MPG right now?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
IF you want a very real indicator of the economy starting tracking transportation volume. When transportation starts slowing down, it cuts across all boundaries.

Flash back to 2008 and read the signs before things tanked.

Politics aside-When the daily volume at UPS, FedEx and top ten trucking companies in the US start to trend negatively, hold on for the ride.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IF you want a very real indicator of the economy starting tracking transportation volume. When transportation starts slowing down, it cuts across all boundaries.

Politics aside-When the daily volume at UPS, FedEx and top ten trucking companies in the US start to trend negatively, hold on for the ride.
View Quote

Someone posted elsewhere that DEF was hard to find
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Absolutely.
Last summer I could put almost anything on fb marketplace and get hits on it. After the stimulus dried up it started slowing and then when gas began to really rise it completely stopped. My father in law wanted me to list his cherry mint condition such and such guitar. Zero interest.
Listed some very nice furniture that my wife refinished, no hits.
It's day and night difference for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't work in a customer-facing job. Personally, I've cut discretionary/entertainment/"fun" spending a good bit. Total of one meal out in the last month (to celebrate a business windfall), meal prepping all the time, and the like. I've upped spending on durable goods by a bit, while the cash I have in the bank is still worth something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
The next couple of years are going to be a very hard road to travel for many of us. We have curtailed some of our plans. And our trips/vacations are limited to no more than 5 hours travel from here. Wife says she thinks groceries are up over 50% from last fall. Some remodel and replacement expense items have been put on hold. Just today I bought a bag of my usual same brand of fertilizer from my same source as always. Last year it was $33.00 a bag; today it was $52.00 a bag for the exact same stuff.

Buckle Up; It's happening.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Seeing both an uptick on new riders on public transit and cars running out of gas in the middle of town.

Last time saw similar patterns trending was 2008.

Since transportation usually ranks fairly high on personal budgets those are not good signs going forward if trends continue to rise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Retired and haven't cut back, yet.

I can see it coming in the near future, though.  

FJB
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
AND, truckers paying $6.00 a gallon and up for diesel fuel are going to demand and get higher rates or get out of trucking. It could and likely will get bad enough that their will be a flood of diesel truck rigs for sale and still a major transport shortage in the industry.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
An escalade, lol...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#24]
$102k for an Escalade?  Gross.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]
We're racing inflation to wrap up a few things but then we're crawling right back under our rock.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, why not. Everything else in the fleet gets close to the same...
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The next couple of years are going to be a very hard road to travel for many of us. We have curtailed some of our plans. And our trips/vacations are limited to no more than 5 hours travel from here. Wife says she thinks groceries are up over 50% from last fall. Some remodel and replacement expense items have been put on hold. Just today I bought a bag of my usual same brand of fertilizer from my same source as always. Last year it was $33.00 a bag; today it was $52.00 a bag for the exact same stuff.

View Quote

Check the bag. There is a good chance it is smaller.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a news release on this last week.  Walmart is in the same boat and they overestimated their inventory levels drastically.  One of which was 42%.  TV's and workout equipment is sitting and necessities are stable, however many consumers are buying the off brands.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#29]
We are seeing it. Reduced web orders and fewer phone orders.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep got feed for our meat chickens cost was up 4.00 a bag here’s the kicker the 50 lb bag is now 40
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope. I have not seen that whatsoever. I seriously suspect people are emptying their bank accounts and retirements to keep things normal-ish.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure that will be a really good indicator this time around. Customer shop online much more than they used to, and with buy online pickup in store options much more available the core shippers may continue to stay very busy. Especially with gas at $4-5 gallon people are weighing the trip to the store vs buying online much more than they used to.

I'm in retail, and the only slowdown we have really seen is just because a lack of product. But it is coming. Prices have gone through the roof, product is unavailable and consumers will only take that for so long before they adjust spending habits and their needs permanently correct.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nope. I have not seen that whatsoever. I seriously suspect people are emptying their bank accounts and retirements to keep things normal-ish.
View Quote

They're also running up the credit cards.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything will be fine
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#36]
The stores are jam-packed around here and the gas station is full of people pumping gas. The fast food restaurants have a line for the drive-thru.  All my neighbors have bought campers or RV's. The house across the street sold for almost 200k more than I paid for mine. I don't know where everyone is getting all this money.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Things are just getting noticeably shittier and more ghetto.  Even outside of the city.  I don’t know if that means anything about consumer spending.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also lol at spending six figures and then choosing an Escalade.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
People are still buying Ag chemicals like crazy. Not farmers, homeowners who will order 1k worth of Snapshot or Cornerstone sent to their home. I'd classify that as discretionary spending.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Everything will be fine
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine is higher
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Someone posted elsewhere that DEF was hard to find
View Quote
Conversation with the boss as he headed out today for 6 weeks with a large RV towing a 1 ton dually behind it...
Boss: I heard there was a DEF shortage?
Me: Yep, and good luck and call me when you run out of gas money out west somewhere. I'll wire you some more to get home.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Judging by the EE, we are in for a rough ride.

Yee haw
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#44]
MY consumer spending is slowing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#45]
We cut back, eating more at home.

HD posted same store sales up over 4% last quarter. Prices up 12% and transactions are down.

Many other retailers “beat” expectations but nobody had this level of inflation worked into their expectations.

Consumer spending is slowing.

Used car dealers are going to get caught holding a very expensive bag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#46]
It’s slowing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep got feed for our meat chickens cost was up 4.00 a bag here’s the kicker the 50 lb bag is now 40
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy. I'm paying $17 for meatbird feed ($7 when the bag is ripped open ) and around $12 for layer feed. Should I stock up?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I didn’t buy a gun or single gun accessory in May.
The months not over but it’s still not looking hopeful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I think it's slowing down.  More money spent on fuel and food leaving less disposable capital.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top