Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I get my money’s worth when I play. My cost per swing is low compared to the guys I golf with on occasion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I took my kids to TopGolf yesterday. It’s the perfect way to have fun smacking a golf ball. It also tracks where those hooks and slices go that I completely lose once the club makes contact. It gives you trajectories as well as ball speed. Kids really enjoy it as well. Plus no pretentious old farts scowling at you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I suck at golf and don’t care.

I’m actually missing the part of the brain that allows a man to hit a white dimpled ball.

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
100 yards is a pitching wedge. Not a driver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Back when I had a functioning right shoulder, I used to play a little golf.

I hit these incredible 400 yard drives, 200 yards down the fairway and then 200 yards to the right. I have actually sliced a ball two fairways away at a little local club with a tight layout.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The best part of golf is aiming for the guy on the ball-retriever tractor on the driving range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the golf envy in these threads.  Those who can't act as if it's dumb to have fun.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Only when the golf ball cheats.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
yes
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love the golf envy in these threads.  Those who can't act as if it's dumb to have fun.  
View Quote

There are a lot of ways to have fun. If someone enjoys golf, more power to em. I'm glad that they won't be in the way of me doing something that I enjoy. I'd rather do just about anything outside other than play golf. It seems incredibly boring and lame to me, but I respect that others can enjoy different things for me. Just as I prefer the appearance of athletic women, some prefer the appearance of land whales.

In fact, I'm about to go do one of arfcom's least favorite things: ride my bike on the roads. Of course the roads here are dirt and gravel other than the highway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Robin Williams Live on Broadway: Golf
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's important to you, is it? That everyone likes what you like?

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#14]
all you need is a putter and a wrist rocket
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is golf really a rich person activity?

You can get decent clubs and a bag these days for $500-$700.
Balls/tees $50.

Local lower end courses are $30-$50 for 18 holes.

I don't buy it that golf is some expensive hobby only enjoyed only by the elite.
View Quote

I bought a set from the scrap yard for 2 bucks!  Came with a bag. I'm not good enough to notice whether they are good or bad clubs but they are fun
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have no problem hitting the Golf ball, it just doesn't go where I want some of the time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I do not engage in faggot hockey
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are a lot of ways to have fun. If someone enjoys golf, more power to em. I'm glad that they won't be in the way of me doing something that I enjoy. I'd rather do just about anything outside other than play golf. It seems incredibly boring and lame to me, but I respect that others can enjoy different things for me. Just as I prefer the appearance of athletic women, some prefer the appearance of land whales.

In fact, I'm about to go do one of arfcom's least favorite things: ride my bike on the roads. Of course the roads here are dirt and gravel other than the highway.
View Quote

Heck golf isn't for everyone.  Neither is biking, hiking, shooting, hunting etc.  I just find it funny how some guys around here act as if for some reason golf is a substandard way to have fun and a "waste of a good range" etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's important to you, is it? That everyone likes what you like?

View Quote

Not at all important.  It makes me laugh the envy of some about something they probably never tried.  They probably never try a lot of things in life because it's not something they are told they are supposed to like.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Balls/tees $50.

I don't buy it that golf is some expensive hobby only enjoyed only by the elite.
View Quote

Just don't drop $150k for child support with the beer cart girl.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Golf is a good walk wasted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a golfer but I gotta say, Top Golf is an extraordinarily fun evening. I think one is being built in Mobile soon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm so bad at golf it wouldn't make sense to get mad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not at all important.  It makes me laugh the envy of some about something they probably never tried.  They probably never try a lot of things in life because it's not something they are told they are supposed to like.  

View Quote

The only envy I see is the one in your assumption.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently started golfing again after a 10 years off. I forgot how much I enjoy it. Costs me $9 on the local course for 9 holes. My clubs were purchased 20 years ago and it cost me $30 and an hour to regrip and clean them up. Its like any other sport. Its what you make of it.
And a good drive is just as satisfying as the crack of a bat at the ball game.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never gotten into it.  I Jane a set of clubs that were less than a few boxes of 9mm ammo.

I don't get mad because why would I?  I only do it once every so many years and mostly it's drinking and driving a golf cart.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Generally the more pissed off and harder you try the worse you will play.

Golf is a very xen thing
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had free use of a golf course one summer and spent a lot of time on it as a total rookie looking to learn. First spent a bunch of time on on the driving range with some instruction. Got pretty good. Could hit a ball straight at a distance of 100 yards.

Then I tried playing a round.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/medium-398.gif

The whacker I used was suggested by the more knowledgeable than I, and it was not a whacker with a bulbous far end.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Golf is a very xen thing
View Quote

Agreed, and the opposite is often true.  Doing a very simple, relaxed, "9-to-3" swing and seeing the ball effortlessly go 80-90% as far as a swing where you feel like you're trying to take off your ex-wife's head with the club, is really humbling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who gets pissed off because they can’t hit a golf ball?

Or are you one of those guys who look down at that little plastic ball and say see this big hunk of metal fixing to spank your ass?
View Quote

Golfers are a confused strange group of people.

They all want to put their ball in a hole.

Real men want to put their putter in the hole.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I play golf a few times a month and never get angry.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#33]
No. I look down, and address the ball. "Hello, ball."

Classic Honeymooners Golf Scene
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Golf is a good walk wasted.
View Quote

Ewww, who the fuck walks and golfs?

I would be a pro if every hole was a par 4 and dog legged left, I could drive the green every time

But when I try and straighten it out, I can drive like 220 at best. If I use my 4 iron I can smack it straight as an arrow bout 240-245 off the Tee box but that’s as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Probably beat but can't resist....

Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Golf seems like a waste of perfectly good hunting lands.
View Quote

Most golf courses are in city limits.  You’d never get the insurance to allow the land to be used as a hunting ground.  It would be more profitable just to sell it to a developer and let them build zero space lots.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
The year I lived in FL my neighbor had a 3 hold par 3 course on his property. I play every so often. Not as often as I used to. Started in high school as a PE. Played golf a few years ago with an owner of a business I do a lot of work for. He's in his  60's and played with a woods that were ctually wods. He hot about 6 over par. Humbling to say the least.

Nearest park to me is a state park and they open it for deer hunting every year. Fairways make great places to hunt on. I have the attitude that I hit the ball as far as I can. If I find it I hit it agian. Famous saying.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I do not take it in the ass nor do I fuck dudes in the ass so I know nothing of golf.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Golf is a very xen thing
View Quote

Caddyshack (1980) - Be the Ball Scene (1/9) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I only get mad at myself when I hit the perfect shot, only to find out I used the wrong club because I'm too cheap to buy a decent laser rangefinder.  But I don't actually get visibly upset.. because I'm not since I actually hit a good shot.

I don't understand the guys who get mad.  My brother has broken clubs out of frustration.  It's golf.  You are never going to be paid to do it, so you might as well enjoy it even if your score sucks at the end.  If you play enough, you will get better.  It's a fun sport, and I really enjoy it the handful or fewer times a year I get to play.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I’d rather go shooting or hunting but the times I have played I found it pretty easy once you get the hang of it, just actually wasting the time to get really good at it ain’t my bag. I’d rather just play pool. The people who get angry playing (any sport) value the wrong things imo and lack emotional stability.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Balls/tees $50.

View Quote
I had 2 sets of clubs with bags, that I could barely give away.   I've seen multiple set of clubs in the town recycling metals dumpster.
I did it once.   I was OK fun.   I played with my wife's uncle, who was big into it.
One time, I went to a country club and bought a bucket of balls.  Wife thought I'd hit one, analyze what I did and how, etc.  Fuck no - I just set 'em up and banged 'em out, one right after the other.  Then went home.   Wife always laughed about that one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Holy shit, talk about someone who obviously hasn't been around poors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Balls/tees $50.

Holy shit, talk about someone who obviously hasn't been around poors.
Yeah, for $700 you can get an AR or a couple Daggers and a bunch of ammo!
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’d rather go shooting or hunting but the times I have played I found it pretty easy once you get the hang of it, just actually wasting the time to get really good at it ain’t my bag. I’d rather just play pool. The people who get angry playing (any sport) value the wrong things imo and lack emotional stability.
View Quote

That's the thing. Everyone should do hobbies they like not what some "group think" says they should like.  I no longer like to shoot.  Just too much trouble to pack up the guns, load the mags, drive 45 minutes each way and pay to shoot on a line with random strangers who may or may not have a clue about gun safety.  Then when home got to clean the guns.  And unless you do it a lot your skills degrade and they don't improve with once a year kind of practice.  

At my age and status in life it is doubtful I will ever need shooting skills of any kind so only reason to shoot is if I like it.  Having said that since I am laid up healing from hip replacement I just might have to go shooting and get the machine guns out.  Never know when it's the last time and I decide to sell them.  And I don't belittle those who do like shooting.  I used to.  I get it the feeling of a clean series of shots.  Golf is the same but some here just have a weird emotional attitude  towards it.  No idea why.  

As to people who show emotional immaturity - absofuckinglutely.  I get it when a pro is on the 18th hole and hits a really bad shot.  It might cost him big money or worse he might lose his tour card.  Good reason to be angry.  But us amateurs?  WTF it's supposed to be fun and we should laugh at how freeking hard this game is.  I play 4 times a week (when not healing) and you'd never know I was angry with myself on the course even though there are times when I'd like to throw a club or act childish.  It's just a game.  And guys who throw clubs and rant are usually not welcome to join in the group competitions cause no one wants to spend 4 hours on the course with them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2023 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I can hit a golf ball at 500 yards  .... with my 300wm

-P
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#46]
I thought I was good until I found out the lowest score is what you are going for.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got my long drive trophy from a city tournament years ago up on my shelf.
Put it within 6 feet at the par 4,  made the put too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I can hit a golf ball at 500 yards  .... with my 300wm

-P
View Quote

That is damn fine shooting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted: