Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2018 8:37:10 PM EDT
I don't think they are. Even at $600, that's a whole 15 years of buying an annual membership one year at a time, assuming $40 per year. Buying an annual membership for 5 year terms at a time is about 21 years worth of membership by the time you hit $600, assuming $140 for a 5 year membership. At $1500 the price is absolutely ludicrous. You'd be insane to pay that unless you just have money to blow. $1500 is 37.5 years of annual membership at $40 a year.

So fiscally the Life membership makes little sense. What about the benefits? Well, being a Lifer increases the max payout of the Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance from $5000 to $10,000. However, the terms of this insurance are very specific and strict. Other than that you can wear an NRA Lifer pin, get an NRA Lifer icon here on Arfcom with access to the NRA Lifer sub-forum here, and perhaps get some "special recognition" at NRA events. From what I can tell that's where all the Life member only benefits end.

Contrary to what some claim you can vote for the NRA Board of Directors as an annual member provided you've been an annual member for 5 or more consecutive years, so this is not a privilege restricted to Life members.

TL;DR - I can't be the only one who thinks Life membership in the NRA is massively overpriced for what you get. They've been upping the Life membership costs exorbitantly for the past few years with no increase in benefits. I think the current price is insane and I don't see how it can be justified.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
All depending on how you feel about the monetary value of it. Most people I know, give money to the NRA to help further the cause and not so much for what we will receive. ( not that there isn't some benefit you will receive)
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]
But you won't get your eagle
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on your age and how long you plan on being a member for it to pencil out.

The plus side is they stop bothering you for donations

Just kidding
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All depending on how you feel about the monetary value of it. Most people I know, give money to the NRA to help further the cause and not so much for what we will receive. ( not that there isn't some benefit you will receive)
View Quote
If your purpose in joining is to repeal gun control laws then that money would likely be better spent donating to the NRA-ILA, the part of the NRA that's actually involved in legislative action. Or spent on local orgs that participate in such actions, or perhaps a mix of both as the ILA often supports the actions of local orgs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
well the NRA did help the Russians get Trump elected
I have been a life member since 83 when my wife bought it for me the year our daughter was born so we got our money's worth
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok.
View Quote
OH im so in for the shit storm coming..
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my Life membership when they fucked up and put out an old price of $300 a couple years back. That was definitely the financially smart way to do it. Now I only give money to the ILA branch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a Lifer, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It depends on your age and how long you plan on being a member for it to pencil out.

Just kidding
View Quote
As laid out in the OP, the occasionally offered $600 "sale price" of a Life membership pays for 15 years of paying for annual membership one year at a time. The $1500 price covers 37.5 years of a $40 a year annual membership. It's really tough to justify it on a cost savings basis.

Quoted:
I have been a life member since 83 when my wife bought it for me the year our daughter was born so we got our money's worth
View Quote
Yes, but we're talking about the price now, not nearly 40 years ago. The price was once reasonable and even made fiscal sense to pay into being a Life member but that's not really the case now. I agree that there was a time when it made sense but my point is that there's a strong argument for that no longer being the case. I don't see why anyone would pay into it now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Life members?  Who the hell has that kind of money?  Buncha priv’lege all up in here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my life membership for $300 about ten years ago through a member on this site.

Worth it?  It will be if and when the leadership is removed.  Fuck LaPierre, Cox and Hammer.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to support a controlled opposition fake gun rights money lobbying group, then go ahead.  The only thing NRA I would support would be local / state NRA affiliate gun rights groups who actually care about and fight for the 2nd Amendment.

Does your state have a gun rights organization?  If so, and they are good (actually testify at the state house for / against bills, etc) become a life member of theirs.

The NRA really showed their true colors this past year.  Very disappointing!
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve been a life member since ‘86. Mom and dad gave it to me on my 21st birthday. I wouldn’t do it today.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought in at $300 during one of the panics. I was 28 IIRC. So yes, it was well worth it.

At $600 I'm not sure it's fiscally worth it, but the money is not why I got the life membership. I wanted voting rights and to not have to worry about renewing every year. Plus I wanted my eagle!
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I jumped on it when it was a super deal a few years ago.  That way I don't have to remember each year.  Downside is that I use to paid annual fee and get a pass to the Nation's gunshow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought in at $300 during one of the panics. I was 28 IIRC. So yes, it was well worth it.

At $600 I'm not sure it's fiscally worth it, but the money is not why I got the life membership. I wanted voting rights and to not have to worry about renewing every year. Plus I wanted my eagle!
View Quote
Again, as laid out in the OP, you do not need to be a Life member to vote for BOD elections. Just be an annual member for 5 consecutive years. That may apply even when 5 years have not passed, as long as you're paid up through 5 years.

I might be wrong about getting voting rights instantly upon simply paying for a 5 year membership though and haven't bothered to ask them for clarification but I'll be doing so at some point.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my son California Rifle & Pistol and NRA for his birthday, will add others as time goes on if I can. The more organizations the better when funds become available
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]
F the NRA.

Bunch of swamp creature cucks

Join the GOA. They support real gun rights... Like full mother fucking autos.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As laid out in the OP, the occasionally offered $600 "sale price" of a Life membership pays for 15 years of paying for annual membership one year at a time. The $1500 price covers 37.5 years of a $40 a year annual membership. It's really tough to justify it on a cost savings basis.

Yes, but we're talking about the price now, not nearly 40 years ago. The price was once reasonable and even made fiscal sense to pay into being a Life member but that's not really the case now. I agree that there was a time when it made sense but my point is that there's a strong argument for that no longer being the case. I don't see why anyone would pay into it now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just kidding

Quoted:
As I said. How old are you and do you plan to stay a member.

It’s simply math.

I got mine and my wife’s @$500 each. We are required to carry nra memberships for our gun club. It penciled out for us and it’s 1 thing less to do every year.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I got mine in 1995, for $250 or $300. For me, much worth.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bingo. That is why I did it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I am through giving the NRA money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly.  I donate to many organizations that work to further my interests.  THAT'S why you pay organizations like this.  We pool our money to fight a battle none of us can fight on our own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
You sound like the type of guy that goes to a charity auction looking for a bargain.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh. Fuck remembering to pay every year or 5.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You sound like the type of guy that goes to a charity auction looking for a bargain.
View Quote
I'm a current NRA annual member about to renew for another 5 years, a Life member of the Second Amendment Foundation, and have donated multiple times to the NRA-ILA and CRPA Foundation.

The current NRA Life membership cost is exorbitant. No one has so far been able to argue very strongly otherwise. The only instance in which it can make sense is if you snag a $600 Life membership and are very young.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
But you won't get your eagle
View Quote
Ive been a Life for 10 years, never bothered to get my Eagle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  Spend the money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#33]
You get a lifetime of watching them push for laws that infringe on the 2nd amendment

So if you hate the rights of Americans its a good deal for a lifetime of winning
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm a current NRA annual member about to renew for another 5 years, a Life member of the Second Amendment Foundation, and have donated multiple times to the NRA-ILA and CRPA Foundation.

The current NRA Life membership cost is exorbitant. No one has so far been able to argue very strongly otherwise. The only instance in which it can make sense is if you snag a $600 Life membership and are very young.
View Quote
That is assuming annual dues never go up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't think they are. Even at $600, that's a whole 15 years of buying an annual membership one year at a time, assuming $40 per year. Buying an annual membership for 5 year terms at a time is about 21 years worth of membership by the time you hit $600, assuming $140 for a 5 year membership.
View Quote
You make it sound as though you don't expect to live another 21 years.

Or maybe you think life here is like those lifetime warranties that don't actually last the span of your natural life. (Not so here.)
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you're right about that. I guess the dues are going up on August 1st, increasing by $5. They did the same in 2016 along with the increase in Life membership cost from $1000 to $1500.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought mine for $300, quarterly payments of $25, a lot more than 20 years ago.

Now I just send money to the ILA when I can afford it.

Might sign the wife up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
F the NRA.

Bunch of swamp creature cucks

Join the GOA. They support real gun rights... Like full mother fucking autos.
View Quote
And are completely ineffective
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to think it was worth it.

They have put a lot of effort into changing my mind over the past several years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I got one of the $300 life memberships a few years back.

The upside is I get the magazine for the rest of my life, but the downside is I didn't get the leather jacket at that price lol.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I upgraded to Endowment level after the Vegas shooting and before they threw bump stocks under the bus. I got a jacket in the mail but never received my Endowment membership pin and card. Meh.

When they publicly support machine gun deregulation, I will climb back on board. So probably never.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#42]
If they would promise to never call me again, I would go lifer twice.  Otherwise, I will continue my annual membership and send money at bonus time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If your purpose in joining is to repeal gun control laws then that money would likely be better spent donating to the NRA-ILA, the part of the NRA that's actually involved in legislative action. Or spent on local orgs that participate in such actions, or perhaps a mix of both as the ILA often supports the actions of local orgs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These are both true. I got a life membership for me and my son years ago. There's value in that because the number of members is significant. But, rather than getting my wife and daughter LM, and rather than upgrading mine to the additional endowment and eagle levels, I put that money towards ILA so that it can be used directly for political purposes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
This is an idiot thread.
It's a charitable donation, that's all.
Donate/don't donate, donate more/donate less--it's up to you.
Any tangible benefits (like a magazine) are piddling.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Of course.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Or maybe you think life here is like those lifetime warranties that don't actually last the span of your natural life. (Not so here.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think they are. Even at $600, that's a whole 15 years of buying an annual membership one year at a time, assuming $40 per year. Buying an annual membership for 5 year terms at a time is about 21 years worth of membership by the time you hit $600, assuming $140 for a 5 year membership.

My problem is with the ratio, especially given that $600 price is not the standard price and is therefore not guaranteed to be seen again in the future, never mind that it's only available through certain affiliate programs with the NRA (such as the one AR15.com has with them) so you don't have the $600 option if you sign up directly from the NRA's website.

Annual vs. Life with SAF is $15 and $150, meaning their Life membership equates to only 10 years of their annual membership costs. That's an extremely fair cost ratio. The cost ratio of the NRA's life membership is triple that with the standard $1500 price at just over 33 years of annual membership costs. Annual vs. Life with the CRPA is $35 vs. $500, so CRPA Life equates to just over 14 years of their annual membership costs.

And yes, the NRA is a much larger organization whose activities extend far beyond legislative action but I'm of the opinion that their Life member cost ratio is out of line, especially when Wayne is taking a million+ dollar salary, or Marion Hammer who as of 2010 was taking over $190,000 in salary, this being the same person who hasn't showed up to a single Board meeting for the past 2 years.

Correction: Marion Hammers pay was for "consulting work".
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is not supposed to make any kind of fiscal sense. The NRA is either an organization you agree with and believe in or not. The level of your membership, and the amount you choose to donate is based on how much you want to support them and what you can afford. If that level is determined by how much swag you get or saving a few bucks over the period of your LIFETIME, then your doing it wrong.

I personally don't accept any of the gifts nor printed copies of the magazines.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I disagree. The first thing is to get guaranteed high membership numbers, which equals political clout, then donate in those other areas.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is not supposed to make any kind of fiscal sense. The NRA is either an organization you agree with and believe in or not. The level of your membership, and the amount you choose to donate is based on how much you want to support them and what you can afford. If that level is determined by how much swag you get or saving a few bucks over the period of your LIFETIME, then your doing it wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there's no point to it. The money would be better spent on the NRA-ILA or local legislative orgs. The purpose of "lifetime memberships" is to act as a show of dedication to the organization that is rewarded with a collectively lower membership cost, after which you can donate as much extra as you choose to. The NRA's ballooning lifetime membership cost is defeating this purpose and the possible implications (eventually pushing non lifers out of voting for the NRA BOD) are not good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#50]
To answer the OP's question:  Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top