Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:31 AM EDT
Local guy has oen and I want ti but when I saw CAI I stopped and thought.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If its a CAI receiever....well, I would stay away.

First it has zero value for collectors. It is not a GI receiver, but an aftermarket cast receiver with GI parts added.

There has been mixed reviews about the receivers as far as quality.

But ultimately why buy an inferior copy when you can probably buy a real one for the same price?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

Mike

ps - don't know if this is indicative of their products, but certainly don't make me feel warm and fuzzy....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#4]
That's all I needed to know.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Iver Johnsons are good to go too. I LOVE mine
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He's talking about the US Rifle, Cal .30, M1...

not the US Carbine, Cal. 30, M1....

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Avoid like the plague.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's talking about the US Rifle, Cal .30, M1...

not the US Carbine, Cal. 30, M1....

D'Oh *smacks head*
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a M1 with CAI receiver, I wish I didn't, be GLAD you DON'T!

That is all

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont you have to be a member of a club for CMP?  I'm a vet and active duty soldier.. but not a member of any club.  So no CMP for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless I'm mistaken a vet and/or current military bypasses all the rules of the CMP. You automatically qualify for a rifle.
Can someone confirm or deny this.

I am almost 100% positive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Unless I'm mistaken a vet and/or current military bypasses all the rules of the CMP. You automatically qualify for a rifle.

wrong, you still need to be member of an affiliated club and an american citizen.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, join the Garand Collector's Association?  Pretty simple.  Send in the money, get the membership, order from CMP.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong, you still need to be member of an affiliated club and an american citizen.

But you don't have to shoot any matches, or is that even a requirement for anyone anymore?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes the receiver and workmanship of the build.

The "angry beavers" at CAI are known for their hit or miss quality.

If it is a good price it is worth more as parts.  Take it apart and sell the receiver for whatever you can get for it at a fun show and sell the USGI parts to me!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ah, join the Garand Collector's Association?  Pretty simple.  Send in the money, get the membership, order from CMP.

Good god, why has nobody shown me this before?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#18]
DON'T let the monkeys at Century build you a rifle. JUNK.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course they're good.  Hell, I buy all my tanks from Century.  I've got this T-72 in the backyard...  What's that?  A rifle?  I've go no idea but the guys on ARF.com tell me Century makes shit rifles  

A few more years of practice and I'll be ready to work in a gunshop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
There are clubs like the Garand Collectors available.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Dont you have to be a member of a club for CMP?  I'm a vet and active duty soldier.. but not a member of any club.  So no CMP for me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
My boss had the grand idea to buy a few a couple of years ago
about half of um  the op rod would come off the bolt  while just messing with it
the other half would bind most of the time
Sold um of cheap they were pretty scary
i sure would not actally use one as a firearm
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#23]
From the FAQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m in the U.S. military. Am I still required to belong to an affiliated club?
No. The military services are special affiliates.  A copy of your current/retiree  military ID card serves to prove as membership in a CMP affiliated organization.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to participate in another qualifying match?
Your application must include proof of firearms activity unless you are in one the following categories:

Active duty military, Reserves and Retirees – Submit a copy of your military ID card.
Veterans – Submit a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers showing honorable discharge.
Age 60 or older – Submit proof of age.
Handicapped or disabled and cannot participate in a qualifying match - submit a physicians report with application.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From the FAQ

I’m in the U.S. military. Am I still required to belong to an affiliated club?
No. The military services are special affiliates.  A copy of your current/retiree  military ID card serves to prove as membership in a CMP affiliated organization.

Do I need to participate in another qualifying match?
Your application must include proof of firearms activity unless you are in one the following categories:

Active duty military, Reserves and Retirees – Submit a copy of your military ID card.
Veterans – Submit a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers showing honorable discharge.
Age 60 or older – Submit proof of age.
Handicapped or disabled and cannot participate in a qualifying match - submit a physicians report with application.

there seems to be some confusion on that policy at the cmp. I have had a couple of guys whose sale was denied that were active duty even though they met that requirement but were not part of a club.

Thus the reason we began to give memberships to soldiers that wanted to join. they are putting their asses on the line, i felt it was the least we could do.

That is awesome.  I'ma have to get on this when I get back and buy one.

Thank you for this, BeerSlayer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Thus the reason we began to give memberships to soldiers that wanted to join. they are putting their asses on the line, i felt it was the least we could do.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't do it. Garands from the CMP all smell bad and are defective and unsafe. I am slowly buying them all to save all of you the heartache and possible exposure to unsafe, smelly, and ugly rifles.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The American Legion or Veterans of Foriegn Wars are now approved CMP clubs.  Spend the $10 to join the American Legion, make a copy of your id card to prove your club affliation, a copy of your military id which satisfies the marksmanship requirement, and a birth certificate to prove citizenship.  I know this works because this is how I ordered three Garands and two 1903 Spingfields from the CMP.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#29]
And do do it....don't wait.

This has become a popular program...and at some point they WILL run out of guns, then those who waited will be SOL....

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The American Legion or Veterans of Foriegn Wars are now approved CMP clubs.  Spend the $10 to join the American Legion, make a copy of your id card to prove your club affliation, a copy of your military id which satisfies the marksmanship requirement, and a birth certificate to prove citizenship.  I know this works because this is how I ordered three Garands and two 1903 Spingfields from the CMP.

Does it have to be a birth certificate.  How about a DL or passport?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
there seems to be some confusion on that policy at the cmp. I have had a couple of guys whose sale was denied that were active duty even though they met that requirement but were not part of a club.

Does that include those of us who put our asses on the line a long time ago?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.  You have to demonstrate that you are a citizen of the United States so I presume a passport would work.

And I need to correct my earlier post, I meant a copy of your DD214, not your military id.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

passport yes, DL no.

go here for complete eligibility requirements, it's not a big deal, and it's not rocket science....

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

U.S. Citizenship:
You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization
You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our "CLUB Info" tab on our web site at www.odcmp.com. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing [email protected]. We will find one for you.  In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates.  Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase.  These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees.  Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.  proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm
The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card  in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

Order Form and Purchaser Certification and Agreement
Order forms and other required documents may be downloaded from http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf. For those customers who receive our hard-copy catalog, we recommend they make several copies of the blank form for use in placing future orders. Customers should complete both the Order Form and the Purchaser Certification and Agreement and sign it before a notary. Orders received without notarized signature will not be processed.

Repeat Customers
In the summer of 2003, the CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public on or after July 1, 2003, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized - provided that the “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same.

Although for repeat orders you will not have to have the forms notarized, hard copy liability/order/certification forms – pages 1a,2a,and 3a – must still be completed and sent to the CMP with original (wet) signatures. These orders may not be faxed or emailed.

After three years a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement will be required for any additional rifle purchase. Any change of address on the order form automatically will require a new notarized Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement.

Please note that this streamlined procedure is available only to customers who have completed a notarized “Universal” Purchaser Certification and Agreement. An application submitted on an earlier form (dated before summer 2003) will still be processed by CMP, but for that transaction only; it will not be accepted for repeat sales.

Proof of citizenship, age, CMP-affiliated club membership and competitive shooting participation, and any copy of any license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card required by your State or locality submitted with your initial “Universal” application will be kept on file by the CMP. If any item of proof above has expired, you must submit proof of current status with any subsequent application.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know.  You have to demonstrate that you are a citizen of the United States so I presume a passport would work.

And I need to correct my earlier post, I meant a copy of your DD214, not your military id.  

I have the passport.  I am glad that will suffice.  My real father abandoned my family when I was about 4, so I went to school, etc using my stepfather's name.  There was never an official adoption, so the birth certificate still shows my real father's last name.

Since I had gone to school, etc using my stepfather's name, I have kept it out of respect for the fact that he did a lot more for me than my real father ever did.  It was a hassle when I went in the military and also when I got my passport.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the passport.  I am glad that will suffice.  My real father abandoned my family when I was about 4, so I went to school, etc using my stepfather's name.  There was never an official adoption, so the birth certificate still shows my real father's last name.

Since I had gone to school, etc using my stepfather's name, I have kept it out of respect for the fact that he did a lot more for me than my real father ever did.  It was a hassle when I went in the military and also when I got my passport.  

I was real happy with the way the CMP is doing this.  You just download the forms, get a copy of all the stuff they need (passport/birthcertificate, DD214, copy of American Legion card), get the form notorized, and mail it in.  If you're going to do it, do it now.  It takes a while for them to ship it and get to you, so the sooner you get the stuff mailed in the better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Run away from a CAI M1, the receivers are not right, you will more than likely have big problems with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Join the Garand collectors club for $25. They update their rosters with CMP on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

There has been something wrong with many things coming out of CAI for years. Poorly quality  firearms and mis-labelled ammo are just two of the most egregious examples.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What are you new?!?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#41]

What are you new?!?

You're right Steyr, I should have known better. But I have had so many ideas on what my next purchase should be that I've jumped from a PTR, then thought about a custom built clone by you and your guy, then it was a shitty MP5 clone from Spechul Weapons, I won't even mention the handguns I've gone through....and now a Garand

Lord help me, I'm going out of my mind man  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top