Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:55:03 PM EDT
Thinking about it for smoking. Are there any legitimate objections to it based on Judeo-Christian theology or Scripture?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a friend whom I believe to have been Seventh Day Adventist.  He was scheduled for a class in forensic hypnosis as part of his training as a law enforcement officer but later found out that his church discouraged the practice of hypnosis by its members.  I think it had something to do with possession or some such thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:45:04 AM EDT
[#2]

KJV
Isa 26:3  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
Isa 26:4  Trust ye in the LORD forever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Shok
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have always believed that if you allow hypnotism to overcome you, then you in fact, are shutting out the Lord.   You are allowing a man to control your thoughts, instead of allowing God to guide them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have always believed that if you allow hypnotism to overcome you, then you in fact, are shutting out the Lord.   You are allowing a man to control your thoughts, instead of allowing God to guide them.

When God commanded us to be fruitful and multiply, subdue the Earth, etc. in Genesis did He not grant us free will?  We control our own thoughts.  What's wrong with making a conscious decision to allow another individual to temporarily take control?

People under hypnosis are not completely under another person's control BTW.  A hypnotist cannot make you do something that you would be morally opposed to or physically incapable of doing under a normal state of consciousness.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the purpose is the real crux of it.  If you are undergoing hypnotism to try and improve yourself, perhaps overcoming alcoholism or something, then you are just trying to live a better life right?  Sometimes people need the help of other people, I don't think that could be such a bad thing.  The way hypnotism is presented in the media is not all that accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top