Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:58:29 AM EDT
Oo-ee-oo

I jumped on Wikipedia for something and Today's Feature Artcile is about the TARDIS. Kind of brought back some memories. I used to watch it when I was a kid... what a weird, kind of eerie show sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#1]
All the time. Worst special effects ever, though.

Not sure if I'm going to watch the new one on scifi though. Don't want to see it ruined (Again)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Didn't watch a lot of TV as a kid, but Doctor Who was a special treat.  Watched it from behind the couch sometimes.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Was never really into Dr Who, but the Cyber Men scared the shit out of us kids
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I never really knew WTF was ever going on in that show... always some weird blob aliens or talking spiders or something. I mostly remember the Tom Baker ones. I only remember seeing the Doctor before Tom Baker every so often and barely any of the others after Tom Baker. Whenever it wasn't him I was always confused as all get out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!!!!

watched it all the time- i think one episode of 24 cost more than the entire series of Dr Who.did.

Liked so much I even bought the Pinball machine...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I LOVED Dr. Who.  I watched it all the time.  But if it wasn't Tom Baker I wasn't all that interested.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to watch it on occasion. I loved the cheap effects. They were amusing.  He always had real babes as side kicks. Not super models, but the cute and well proportioned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember watching it all the time. I was too young to notice the bad special effects though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He always had real babes as side kicks. Not super models, but the cute and well proportioned.

You thought Tegan was cute?  

(She was a side-kick to the replacement for Tom Baker, Peter Davidson - and I found her most un-cute)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not sure if I'm going to watch the new one on scifi though. Don't want to see it ruined (Again)

I used to watch it.  I know the special effects were pretty amateurish, but the story line was pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I used to watch it on occasion. I loved the cheap effects. They were amusing.  He always had real babes as side kicks. Not super models, but the cute and well proportioned.

Have you seen the current one?
Doctor Who
Rose Tyler... not too shabby at all.
Doctor Who's Companions

DK... Tegan was nasty. I don't remember Leela... but I wish I did.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
My Dad would watch it when I was young.

I never got it.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Louise Jameson helped me get through puberty.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Didnt he always eat  jelly beans or some type of candy??
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Didnt he always eat  jelly beans or some type of candy??

I think that was just Tom Baker's Doctor...
Source

He quickly made the part his own. As the Doctor, his eccentric style of dress and speech — particularly his trademark long scarf and fondness for jelly babies — made him an immediately recognisable figure
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Come on, who are you kidding?  As a pre-teen, I would've hit any of those sidekicks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to watch it all the time.  It was broadcast for years on the local PBS station here in the Philly area (WHYY ch12).

I've seen all the episodes (TWICE) from the first Jon Pertwee (Dr. #3) episode through Sylvester McCoy (Dr. #7).  I've seen a few of the earlier B&W William Hartnell and Partick Troughton episodes, too.
My favorite Dr. was Peter Davison.  I thought his episodes were the best.  I liked his companions the best as well.

It's been over a dozen years since they were last broadcast here in my viewing area.  I've forgotten most of the Dr. Who data and lore I once knew.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep!

Dr. Who was just one of those things when I was a kid....you either were into it or not....The effects were cheesy, but you still got into what they were offering as Sci-Fi.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The one SciFi is showing is Official British Dr. Who.  Well, at least as official as we can get.  Not like that awful US made movie thing.  Gha that sucked.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I definitely remember it.

I did'nt see all that many episodes, and I don't recall usually getting it neither... but it was a cool show. Definitely was enough to scare/creep me out as a kid. Certain things I no longer remember, whichever specific type of aliens, boy they would freak me out pretty good.

I'd love to see all the episodes some day. I've never been much of a sci-fi fan but something about Doctor Who was just very cool. And Daleks still kick ass!

I look forward to checking out this new series! I don't watch the Sci-fi channel so I did'nt have any idea this was coming. March 17th
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I used to watch it all the time.  It was broadcast for years on the local PBS station here in the Philly area (WHYY ch12).

Man... that's hilarious. I lived in Berlin, NJ and that's the station I used to get to watch it on as well. How funny is that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I LOVED Dr. Who.  I watched it all the time.  But if it wasn't Tom Baker I wasn't all that interested.

Baker WAS the Doctor for me and my friends.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The one SciFi is showing is Official British Dr. Who.  Well, at least as official as we can get.  Not like that awful US made movie thing.  Gha that sucked.

Actually, the made for TV move of 1996 was a British/Canadian effort.  Don't blame the US for that POS.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#24]
It was on PBS from time to time when I was a kid and I remembered liking it.

I recently bought two DVDs (Spearhead Fron Space, Ark in Space) and they were kinda cheezy.

Potentially good stories but let down by low production values and bad acting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I like Rose.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah, but who else ever owned a copy of the "Doctoring the Tardis" by the Timelords?

A cordless Dremel is almost as good as a sonic screwdriver...

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Tom Baker was my favorite Dr. Who of all time.

Gotta get me a scarth like his.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I quit watching it when K-9 appeared.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Tom Baker was my favorite Dr. Who of all time.

A big +1 on that.  He was THE Doctor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Jelly Babies for all
The TARDIS or Time And Relative Dimension In Space

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Watched it when I could, but not religiously as it wasn't convenient to watch for some reason.  they were fun.

If the DVDs ever get to a reasonable price, might get them and waatch in the right order to follow the story line.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Our PBS is still playing them every saturday night.   We've been through the series a few times.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I never missed a Tom Baker episode, mostly because I had a thing for Romana (Lalla Ward).  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#34]
i would alway try to wait for a peek up that leather "skirt thing" never did though
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i would alway try to wait for a peek up that leather "skirt thing" never did though

I think you're talking about Leela, played by Louise Jameson.  She was hot too, but there was something about Lalla Ward that made me crazy.  Just too damn cute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top