Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:30:46 AM EDT
I've never put much stock in them but its amazing when I read the profiles for each of my family members signs [mine included] how it suits us to a T.  When I was a little girl my grandfather read his horoscope and mine to me every morning while my grandmother cooked us breakfast.  It was a treat as Grandpa would always tease Grandma about who he was going to be playing footsies with that day.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i never gave any credence to astrology until i subjected it to critical (and antagonistic) study.  i came out of that having to acknowledge that it is generally valid in the evaluation of broad personality characteristics.  as for the daily stuff, i'm still skeptical, but the sun/moon/ascendant personality traits are as or more accurate that most basic psychological evaluations.

it is worth noting that isaac newton subjected natal astrology to deep study, and decided that it was sound.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It's the same every day:

God's will.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've never put much stock in them but its amazing when I read the profiles for each of my family members signs [mine included] how it suits us to a T.  

Just curious.  Do you ever read the profiles for signs other than yours to see if they fit you also?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Today's horoscopes...

Aquarius (Jan 23 - Feb 22) You have an inventive mind and are inclined
to be progressive. You lie a great deal.  You make the same mistakes
repeatedly because you are stupid. Everyone thinks you are a fucking
jerk.

Pisces (Feb 23 - Mar 22) You are a pioneer type and think most people
are dickheads. You are quick to reprimand, impatient and full of advice. You
do nothing but piss-off everyone you come in contact with.  You are a
prick.

Aries  (Mar 23 - April 22) You have a wild imagination and often think
you are being followed by the FBI or CIA.  You have minor influence on your
friends and people resent you for flaunting your power.  You lack
confidence and are a general dipshit.

Taurus (April 23 - May 22) You are practical and persistent. You have a
dogged determination and work like hell.  Most people think your are
stubborn and bullheaded. You are nothing but a damned communist.

Gemini (May 23 - June 22) You are a quick and intelligent thinker.
People like you because you are bisexual.  You are inclined to expect too much
for too little. This means you are never satisfied.  Geminis are notorious
for thriving on incest.

Cancer (June 23 - July 22) You are sympathetic and understanding to
other people's problems, which makes you a sucker.  You are always putting
things off. That is why you will always be on welfare and won't be worth a
shit.  Everyone in prison is a Cancer.

Leo (July 23 - Aug 22) You consider yourself a born leader.  Others
think you are an idiot. Most leos are bullies.  You are vain and cannot
tolerate criticism. Your arrogance is disgusting.  Leo people are thieving
motherfuckers and enjoy masturbation more than sex.

Virgo (Aug 23 - Sept 22) You are the logical type and hate disorder.
Your shit-picking attitude is sickening to your friends and co-workers. You
are cold and unemotional and often fall asleep while fucking. Virgos make
good bus drivers and pimps.

Libra (Sept 23 - Oct 22) You are the artistic type and have a difficult
time dealing with reality.  If you are a male you are probably a cross-dresser.
Chances for employment and monetary gain are nill.  Most Libra women are
whores. All Libras die of venereal disease.

Scorpio (Oct 23 - Nov 22) You are the worst of the lot.  You are shrewd
in business and cannot be trusted. You shall achieve the pinnacle of
success because of your total lack of ethics.  You are the perfect
son-of-a-bitch. Most Scorpios are murdered.

Sagittarius (Nov 23 - Dec 22) You are optimistic and enthusiastic. You
have a reckless tendency to rely on your luck since you have no talent. The
majority of  Sagittarians are drunks.  You are a worthless piece of
shit.

Capricorn (Dec 23 - Jan 22) You are conservative and afraid of taking
risks.You are basically  chickenshit.  There has never been a Capricorn
of any importance. You should kill yourself.

.... These horoscopes provided to you by Adam Sandler

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#5]

that's about 10 years old, but is still always funny.  saved for posterity.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't read my daily horoscope, but I do think that the different signs have their own definite personality traits.

edit to fix gratuitous use of the word 'do
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
do nothing but piss-off everyone you come in contact with. You are a
prick.

Dang its me
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

that's about 10 years old, but is still always funny.  saved for posterity.

that was funny, difinately not true [for me anyway!] but funny.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Aries (Mar 23 - April 22) You have a wild imagination and often think
you are being followed by the FBI or CIA. You have minor influence on your
friends and people resent you for flaunting your power. You lack
confidence and are a general dipshit

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Aries (Mar 23 - April 22) You have a wild imagination and often think
you are being followed by the FBI or CIA. You have minor influence on your
friends and people resent you for flaunting your power. You lack
confidence and are a general dipshit

Beat me to it Damnit

so if I have a 'wild imagination' I just might be eccentric or solitude .'CIA' is'nt that a ancient Bar pick up line?,my friends they are the ones I can count on and recently proved it Thank You I will never forget it,Confidence,I will survive some folks live on arrogance I like Truth and I live with it

as for being a 'general dipshit' well lets just say,,,,,,outlived a bunch of Buds and I'm here to mistype it
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
prick.

Dang its me

+1
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
prick.

Dang its me

+1

Yep, fits me to a "T", i already knew that , ya bunch of dickheads !
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Patty............wanna play footsie.......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Sagittarius (Nov 23 - Dec 22) You are optimistic and enthusiastic. You
have a reckless tendency to rely on your luck since you have no talent. The
majority of Sagittarians are drunks. You are a worthless piece of
shit.

Mostly true, not a drunk though.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I think they are possibly the dumbest thing ever. It's like Weekly World News, only more people believe it.

There is absolutely no evidence that time of the year during birth could actually make people inherently different. It's illogical and to me, annoying that anyone would believe it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think they are possibly the dumbest thing ever. It's like Weekly World News, only more people believe it.

There is absolutely no evidence that time of the year during birth could actually make people inherently different. It's illogical and to me, annoying that anyone would believe it.

It's so ridiculously illogical that it can be disproven easily.

If astrology is true, babies born in the same maternity ward at the same hospital on the same day should have pretty much exactly the same personality.

In reality of course, even TWINS, who not only have completely identical astrological signs (not just limited to month, but even specific location and time, relative star and planet positions, etc. etc, blah blah blah), but also have completely identical DNA, still can end up with widly different personalities.  Based on the logic of astrology, that should not be possible.

Horoscope predictions always seem to "sound" true - because they are sufficiently vague and general to resonate with most people - but when you think about the underlying logic, it is completely retarded.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey Patty............wanna play footsie.......

How YOU doin?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i never gave any credence to astrology until i subjected it to critical (and antagonistic) study.  i came out of that having to acknowledge that it is generally valid in the evaluation of broad personality characteristics.  as for the daily stuff, i'm still skeptical, but the sun/moon/ascendant personality traits are as or more accurate that most basic psychological evaluations.

it is worth noting that isaac newton subjected natal astrology to deep study, and decided that it was sound.

That's interesting.  I don't know about all months or people but the general discription of a Leo fits me to a T.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If astrology is true, babies born in the same maternity ward at the same hospital on the same day should have pretty much exactly the same personality.

In reality of course, even TWINS, who not only have completely identical astrological signs (not just limited to month, but even specific location and time, relative star and planet positions, etc. etc, blah blah blah), but also have completely identical DNA, still can end up with widly different personalities.  Based on the logic of astrology, that should not be possible.

Horoscope predictions always seem to "sound" true - because they are sufficiently vague and general to resonate with most people - but when you think about the underlying logic, it is completely retarded.

YEP!!!!
I don't fit the "mold" of my horoscope at all. Never read it. Never dated a man who was of the sign I was supposedly "attracted" to.

All a bunch of crap.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Cancer (June 23 - July 22) You are sympathetic and understanding to
other people's problems, which makes you a sucker. You are always putting
things off. That is why you will always be on welfare and won't be worth a
shit. Everyone in prison is a Cancer.
   ouch!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
that may be too frightening
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With DK-Prof backing me up, I must be right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

YEP!!!!
I don't fit the "mold" of my horoscope at all. Never read it. Never dated a man who was of the sign I was supposedly "attracted" to.

All a bunch of crap.

so you've never read it, but you're sure that you don't fit?  how amusing.

a challenge for you.  post or IM me your complete birthdate, including the time of day and location of your birth in lat/long or nearest major city.  i'll trust your to integrity regarding accuracy.  from this, i'll do a basic natal chart, including sun sign, moon sign, and ascendant.  time permitting, i'll do your basic planets, as well, and you can tell me how near or far the basic overview is.  again, i'll trust your honesty.

my sister always believed that she didn't fit the mold of virgo, until she took the time and made the intellectual effort to study it.  she was as skeptical as i was, until she quit being mentally lazy.

post away, and look for results on sunday.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEP!!!!

All a bunch of crap.

a challenge for you.  post or IM me your complete birthdate, including the time of day and location of your birth in lat/long or nearest major city.  i'll trust your to integrity regarding accuracy.  from this, i'll do a basic natal chart, including sun sign, moon sign, and ascendant.  time permitting, i'll do your basic planets, as well, and you can tell me how near or far the basic overview is.  again, i'll trust your honesty.

my sister always believed that she didn't fit the mold of virgo, until she took the time and made the intellectual effort to study it.  she was as skeptical as i was, until she quit being mentally lazy.

All that is necessary is that it should be sufficiently vague.

If you can explain, logically, how such things would have an actual impact on a human's character, then please do so.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEP!!!!

All a bunch of crap.

So your argument is that ANY child born in the same city as PlaymoreMinds at the same time would have pretty much the same personality?  That's amazing.  You should publish those findings in Science, or the Journal of Applied Psychology or some other APA journal that deals with personality research - because that would be an absolutely earthshattering finding, that completely invalidates hundreds of years of rigorous research by highly trained academics.  How do YOU explain identical twins with completely different personalities?  All of the researchers that have been studying personality for decades and decades would love to know the answers.  And all without the trouble of actually getting a Ph.D., reading the research, or actually understanding anything about developmental psychology etc.

I also love the typical tactic of the BS artist - to imply that people who don't believe the mumbo-jumbo are somehow just "mentally lazy" or not exerting sufficient "intellectual effort"  

The reality is that ANYONE who actually bothers to make a real intellectual effort to understand personality and behavior, very quickly realizes that astrology is nothing but nonsensical mumbo-jumbo, a hold-over from when a lack of sophisticated understanding of the physical world led people to make up stories - like thunder being the sound of Thor's carriage, and the sun being pulled by horses in a chariot across the sky.  The fact that people still believe it in our modern age is depressing (and at a certian level, almost intellectually offensive).

ETA: By the way - if it truly was "real" or deterministic in ANY way, the test should NOT be whether PlaymoreMinds finds any vague predictions or desciptions of her behavior accurate after she tells her birthdate.  Rather, a more reasonable test would be for her to describe her personality and behavioral traits, and then YOU would be able to determine her brithdate.  I'm sure you have no interest in such a test.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't do daily horoscopes, but I have dabbled in tarot and it has been accurate every time. My best friend used to do my tarot back in Ohio. It provides such much needed clarity sometimes.

Flame away
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So your argument is that ANY child born in the same city as PlaymoreMinds at the same time would have pretty much the same personality?  That's amazing.  You should publish those findings in Science, or the Journal of Applied Psychology or some other APA journal that deals with personality research - because that would be an absolutely earthshattering finding, that completely invalidates hundreds of years of rigorous research by highly trained academics.  How do YOU explain identical twins with completely different personalities?  All of the researchers that have been studying personality for decades and decades would love to know the answers.  And all without the trouble of actually getting a Ph.D., reading the research, or actually understanding anything about developmental psychology etc.

according to my sister, who is doing post-grad research at SMU, there is a growing view in the psychological community that natal astrology is a statistically significant modifier of personality traits.  one study being worked on now is a correlation of meyers-briggs with traditional sun-sign characteristics.  i'll see if i can't track down a draft abstract.

and just out of curiosity, how do YOU define "completely different personalities"?  surely you mean more than simplistic differences such as introvert/extrovert, right?  are we talking social behavior, or moral paradigm, or what?  i would hope that you wouldn't enter this kind of debate without at least a basic understanding of astrology.  you've done more than read the back of a magazine, correct?  you seem like an intelligent guy, and a critical thinker, so i can't imagine that you would claim something is inaccurate without developing at least a basic understanding of the subject material.

after all, i'd hate to dismiss you as easily as newton dismissed halley in regards to the validity of astrology, with the statement "sir, i have studied the matter.  you have not."

The reality is that ANYONE who actually bothers to make a real intellectual effort to understand personality and behavior, very quickly realizes that astrology is nothing but nonsensical mumbo-jumbo, a hold-over from when a lack of sophisticated understanding of the physical world led people to make up stories - like thunder being the sound of Thor's carriage, and the sun being pulled by horses in a chariot across the sky.  

actually, astrology was one of the first truly observational sciences.  it began with the anecdotal observation that people born at about the same time exhibited broadly similar personality characteristics.  observe-assess-correlate.  sounds like scientific methodology to me.  that the variable is time of year, instead of...say...socioeconomic background, doesn't really bear on the outcome of the data.  as long as it is verifiable, that is.

ETA: By the way - if it truly was "real" or deterministic in ANY way, the test should NOT be whether PlaymoreMinds finds any vague predictions or desciptions of her behavior accurate after she tells her birthdate.  Rather, a more reasonable test would be for her to describe her personality and behavioral traits, and then YOU would be able to determine her brithdate.  I'm sure you have no interest in such a test.

actually, it can be played either way, but there are enough permutations of sun/moon/ascendant to render your way a little tricky.  after all, one's chart is only a personality modifier, not some kind of blueprint.  not to mention that the subject usually is less than forthcoming about many important characteristics.  there is another complicating factor, which is that most people, when describing themselves, talk about their inner life--their motives as opposed to their actions.  in astrological terms, most people describe their moon sign, rather than their sun sign.  simplistically, the sun sign is indicative of how you behave externally, while the moon sign is how you behave internally.  one's ascendant influences both.

but we can play it your way, and why not start with you?  tell me about yourself, honestly, in psychological terms, and let's see what we find out.

i'm game.  are you?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I put about as much stock into horoscopes as I do fortune cookies and Ted Kennedy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top