Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 1:35:21 AM EDT
I can sit down and read for hours without even looking up.  I can't sit still for five minutes and watch TV, even if it is something cool on the History channel.  This is odd.  Isn't the TV supposed to be easier on people with short attention spans?  Anyone like this or know why this happens?

I'm also the type who has trouble getting started on things, but once started will work at it for 8-10 hours at a stretch.  I don't know if that's related or not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually can't watch TV unless I'm doing something else to keep my mind occupied.  Reading a magazine or surfing the web, etc.  The TV is more like background music than a main source of entertainment.

Some people get mesmerized by the TV and get glued to the screen.  Not me.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I usually can't watch TV unless I'm doing something else to keep my mind occupied.  Reading a magazine or surfing the web, etc.  The TV is more like background music than a main source of entertainment.

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
TV makes me crazy.  I lose interest in whatever I'm watching when the commercials come on, I just go away, start doing something else and forget about it. I can read a book from cover to cover in one sitting though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Good, it isn't just me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree. I have only one TV show I actually try to watch and usually I am online at the same time.

I read after dinner now instead of turning on the TV.

My Brother in law is opposite. He grew up as a missionary kid in Mexico and they didn't have TV so he is glued to the TV when it is on. He won't even respond to someone's offscreen voice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

same here.

i can sit and read entire novels in one sitting, but i can't just watch tv.  in fact, the only time my tv is on is when i'm on the computer.  to be honest, i think reading is far more stimulating than the shit on tv.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
i think i'm going to get rid of my tv.

it's pretty much useless.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
TV makes me crazy.  I lose interest in whatever I'm watching when the commercials come on, I just go away, start doing something else and forget about it. I can read a book from cover to cover in one sitting though.

Yeah, that happens to me also.  The TV companies are so greedy and run so many commercials, that once the commercial segment starts, I have get up to do something else, or surf to another channel.  Sometimes, I never bother to go back to the station and don't even remember what the name of the show was.  The problem of the rating system is that they don't count what the audience is watching between the start of the program and the end.  They make the assumption you stay with the same program from the beginning to the end.

The TV companies are running at least 20 minutes of commercials per hour, and they are just loosing audience share to other activities and not just to other stations.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Commercials are to blame.  I can watch a good show, but the commercials make my mind and body start wandering off.  I have the same problem with trying to read magazines that make you flip through 20 pages of ads to get to the next part of the article.  No problem watching a DVD (at least after the mandatory intro commercials are over) or reading a book.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't watch commercials anymore.  Seriously.  I have an "A" program that I am really interested in, then a "B" program which I flip to during the commercials.  If both are on commercials I will flip through the channels to find something else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#12]
With the sole exception of live sporting events, we record all the shows and skip the commercials when we watch.  Other than sports though we don't watch very much at our house.

I like the "How it's made" program on the science channel so that gets recorded.

My wife likes "The Closer" - record for her

Both of us like "The Dog Whisperer" on national geographic - record.

That's it.

- CD
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The brain processes information differently from reading than from television.  The neocortex and language center are highly involved in reading, and as well, the imagination has to pick through all of one's lifetime of visual images to "envision" what is being described in words.

Television is visceral, requiring no thought whatsoever.  

I can actually "watch" about one, one hour program off of History or Science channel, reduced to 45 minutes or less with a recorder... but that is about it.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't watch commercials anymore.  Seriously.  I have an "A" program that I am really interested in, then a "B" program which I flip to during the commercials.  If both are on commercials I will flip through the channels to find something else.

You are lucky.  I can rarely find one program that interests me let alone two programs at the same time.  

When I flip through the channels, I usually go through the cycle twice without finding anything that interests me.  At that point, I turn off the TV.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I only watch things that I really, really want to watch, so I don't have that problem.

I don't use tv as filler or a time killer. Just a few shows a week that provide a high level of entertainment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't need TV, I have ARFCOM to rot my brain.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top