Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:23:11 AM EDT
Maybe I am going nuts but after many years of shooting I don’t perceive or notice a .45 ACP round as big as it use to be.  It looks normal and I think, “Man those 9mm are small”.  I can remember thinking those .45 bullets are huge!  One should do and my 1911 holds 8.  What am I going to do with the other 7?  Funny how 5.56mm looks normal and 7.62x54 looks huge and 30-06 is gigantic.  This from an old time M1A shooter.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
In short, presbyopia.  It's an eye condition.

Long version:  As you age, your eyes become weaker, and it's more difficult to focus on objects close to you.  To compensate, you hold them further away.

Things that are further away look smaller.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Just go buy something with a bigger bullet  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
As I was growing up I thought 30-06 was a big round, and a 300 Win Mag was a monster!  I always thought the gun rag authors were full of shit when they refered to 30-06 as a small bore.

I recieved a .416 Rigby on my 10th wedding anniversary and I came to realize the gun rag authors were right on the money.  30-06 IS a small bore!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As I was growing up I thought 30-06 was a big round, and a 300 Win Mag was a monster!  I always thought the gun rag authors were full of shit when they refered to 30-06 as a small bore.

I recieved a .416 Rigby on my 10th wedding anniversary and I came to realize the gun rag authors were right on the money.  30-06 IS a small bore!

.416 Rigby...sweet...gonna get you some Cape Buffalo???
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you need a 500 Magnum.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I was watching a video of me shooting my Danish Garand last Saturday and I noticed that I was reacquiring my cheek weld after every shot.  I also noticed on the next day that my shoulder wanted to remind me how it feels to crank out 100 rounds of 30/06 while wearing just a sleeveless t-shirt.  Then there were the burns on my forearm from the hot brass resting against them.

Last night I was checking out my RRA ARFCOM LEGP's new A4 stock and new Phantom FH (THANKS ADCO!!!).

Man!  Are those M193 shell casings tiny!  And the recoil, (although a little sharper with the smaller buffer) was downright pleasant.  And I was lot more accurate (and with me with a rifle in my hands isn't saying much) as the M1!

Smaller is sometimes better.  Only hits count right?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#7]
get one of these...it will solve that problem

http://guncrafterindustries.com/model_1.htm
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I know when I first started to re-load .454 Casull rounds I thought "Holy crap , these are darn cigars I'm making!" Well after making literally 1000's of rounds now they don't seem so big. The same goes with the.45 acp. When I was a kid , I thought looked like a smaller version of a 500 lb. bomb! Now it's just kind of "oh yeah, eh.....45 acp" I think after you handle somethin for a while , you just get used to it. I was looking at some 9 MM shells yesterday and also thought " man these are tiny!" Oh well. MY 2 cents. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of this theme.  Last year, I visited my elementary school for the first time since I was 10 (23 years ago).  I remember the halls and the rooms being so big.  I bet three adults couldn't walk down a hall shoulder to shoulder.  The teachers desks, which I remember being so big, was just a standard little student's desk, 30" wide by 24" deep.  It was a Lillaputian moment for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top