Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 2:01:21 PM EDT
I plan on getting a little "tipsy" tonight,but don't want to be bed-ridden all day tomorrow.

Anybody have a tried and true recipe?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Moderation?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It's as simple as drinking some water in moderation throughout the evening.  At least have a glass or two before you hit the sack / pass out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Don't drink so much!![:D]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Drinking water is the only way I've found works.  I've never had a hangover!  Hangovers in my experience are nothing but dehydration.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's as simple as drinking some water in moderation throughout the evening.  At least have a glass or two before you hit the sack / pass out.
View Quote
That's the key, but don't drink too much water or it will give you a hangover for sure. Also, right at bedtime take two asprin or equilvalent (No TYLENOL).
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't drink.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have always done a combination of what everyone is saying and have never had a hangover...

Two aspirin before you drink

Drink water between each drink you have

Take two more aspirin when you go to bed

Have fun
View Quote

Slightly amended to:

Use water as your mix (ex. scotch & water)

Ginger ale in the morning for cotton-mouth.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Moderation
2. Don't mix your alcohols
3. Milk Thistle
4. Vitamin B&C supplements
5. Sugar seems to make hangovers worse in some people
6. Pace your drinks
7. Gatorade in the morning

The only thing that will work for sure is:
Say your the designated driver and get free sodas all night
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Sure are a lot of teetotaler's in here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe, but it does decrease the incident of hangovers considerably!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Eat a nice healthy meal before you drink! Also, don't mix different alcohol classifications. (IE: Champagne and beer)

Drink lots of water before bed, and you should be fine.

Have fun and don't get in trouble!!

T

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the drink water throughout the evening method.  And of course a couple of asprin are great for a pre-emptive strike.  

I have heard stories of army medics starting IV's for their hungover buddies the morning after, and some crew chiefs of C-130's sucking on the O2 the next day.  Don't know about the O2, but the IV is a neat idea.  Of course if you are plugging your veins to rehydrate the next day, I think you might have more serious problems than a hangover.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to agree with "drink water" . I usually have at least 2 big glasses of water and Mrs. Caveman makes me something to eat right before I go to sleep. It seems that sandwiches work best.    
Bread to "soak up" the booze?
The biggest key to no hangover..........sleep the whole next day[;D].

Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Liquor before beer, never fear.

Beer before liquor, never sicker.

Lots of water. When you wake up to piss at 4:00AM take 2 asprin. Drink more water.

Sleep tight!  [:)]

-elliott
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Water and a B-complex vitamin before going to sleep. Or, my brother's advice on avoiding a hangover is to,
[b][size=2][red] Stay drunk![/red][/size=2][/b] [beer]

coyote3
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
A bottle of Powerade before bed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If your worried about the hangover befote you start drinking, Drink Shirly Temples.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Drink a half pint of dark eyes when you wake up. If you throw up, drink the other half and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
A point that hasn't been mentioned is to drink high quality alcohol.
With less impurities you will notice a difference in the morning.
I have drank a considerable amount of cheap Vodka and really felt like shit the next day.
When drinking high quality, expensive Vodka while I may not feel like a million bucks in the morning the difference is a drastically less severe hangover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#22]
What just about everyelse has said.

Best way...is not to drink.

Then...Stay drunk the next day.

I prefer to drink 2-3 big glasses of water when I get home and take 4-5 asprin just before I go to bed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Plenty of fluids before you go to bed. You want to metabolize all that alcohol in your stomach while you're sleeping, and if you run out of fluids the alcohol can just sit there until the AM, when they'll kick in again when you have breakfast. Fluids with sugar, such as OJ, seem to work for me, but that might be just be my imagination.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, I agree, don't drink or stay drunk.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Drink a large glass of warm salt water into which you've stirred 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard and a 1/4 cup of bacon grease.  Then, run in place for 30 minutes while you sing the James Brown tune "I Feel Good" over and over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Try drinking Heineken beer.  Some people who I work with including myself claim that Heineken beer does'nt leave you in a fog the next day.  No guarantees.  But give it a try.  Don't forget.  Heineken goes good with aku poke.  Broke da mout!  Soup em!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Best way to cure a hangover is never to drink enough to get "tipsy."  If you simply must get "tipsy," the only cure is to never quite being "tipsy."
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#28]
The best way is to stay up till the effects have worn off.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#29]
When you wake up with a hangover, slice a lemon in half and rub it in you armpits like a stick of deodorant.

I know this sounds like bullshit, but IT WORKS.

Try it

Ed
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't drink alcohol...ever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Have a beer, first thing, when you get up...
what works for me, is nice cold Iced Tea, about a liter of it.
It gives your body sugar and water, which is what it needs.  That is why you have a sore head.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Have a beer, first thing, when you get up...
what works for me, is nice cold Iced Tea, about a liter of it.
It gives your body sugar and water, which is what it needs.  That is why you have a sore head.

BISHOP
View Quote

Dude, I have been wrong all this time?  I thought that your liver breaks down all that alcohol into simple sugars!  

Either way, what works for me (when I remember to do it) is:
1.  Eat a good meal prior to drinking.  
2.  Load up on water the day before you are planning on partyin'.  Your body will go through a lot of water processing that booze.
4.  If you are having mixers, that pop will dehydrate yo' a**.  When doing mixed drinks, alternate with a small glass of water , between every drink.
5.  When you stumble into the house, FORCE YOURSELF to down a 32 oz cup of cool water.  Somewhere in the middle of that glass, down a couple tablets of your favorite pain reliever, following the recommendations on the bottle regarding alcohol consumption of course!
6.  If you wake up still a little bit runk, EAT SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY!!!  With lot's of water!

It works for me....my hangovers always seem to be deydration related.  Your mileage may vary, no guarantees are expressed or implied!  Always be safe, never drink and drive!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Lots of water. When you wake up to piss at 4:00AM take 2 asprin. Drink more water.

Sleep tight!  [:)]

-elliott
View Quote

Whenever I get drunk enough to worry about a hangover, there ain't no gettin up at 4am, maybe 4pm. Hell, 4am is only 'go home' time.

I'll throw my $.02 in and go with the guys that say take asprin, or Advil or whatever. I'll take some before I go out and if I'm still conscious enough to remember when I get home I'll take some more. Drink lots of fluids and eat as soon as you think you can without puking after you wake up, after taking some more asprin/whatever of course.

[b]***Disregard everything if you end up eating a dozen or so cherries that were soaked in Everclear for two weeks. After that nothin's gonna help ya***[/b]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#34]
In my experience, drinking Gatorade the next morning is a sure-fire way of worshipping at the porcelain altar.

Don't take anything with acetametaphin (sp?) as it can lead to liver damage when combined w/alcohol. Aspirin and alcohol can also cause stomach bleeding in some people.

Molitas is right on quality of alcohol. Quality beers don't bother me like drinking alot of Milwaukee's Beast will.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When you wake up with a hangover, slice a lemon in half and rub it in you armpits like a stick of deodorant.

Try it

Ed
View Quote

Yup- sounds like BS
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it

Ed
View Quote

Yup- sounds like BS
View Quote

I heard you should take one half of the lemon in each hand and squeeze it in the respective eye.    [shock]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I have heard of college students drinking Pedialite because its made to absorb into your system faster than Gatoraid.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#38]
In all honesty, the absolute best way to prevent hangovers is to always stay hydrated.  The human body needs a minimum of 4 pints (that's one GI 1-quart canteen) per day to function normally.  Most people simply walk around dehydrated most of their lives.  Drinking lots of water will help you lose weight faster (although I've never seen any studies to back it up I swear it helps), will help keep away stank breath, make your skin softer and less likely to chap (although not important to you guys, the ladies don't like touching rough, flaky skin), you will have an easier time digesting food (less cases of indigestion, heartburn, gas, and the GIs).  

Alcohol is broken down into sugar by you liver and kidneys, the process is highly inefficient and needs tons of water.  If you really don't want to have a hangover and still get ripped, drink a gallon or so of water the day before and day of your immoderation.  You'll be pissing like a racehorse all day, for that reason it is a bad idea if you've ever had trouble getting your fly undone while drinking (i.e. you piss yourself when really drunk).

When I plan to drink to excess I drink lots of water immediately beforehand.  I drink only good alcohol (Molitas is correct about good v. bad booze) and I pace myself while drinking, allowing the alcohol to take effect.  I have a shot or two of bourbon or Irish whiskey before drinking beer (Beer before liquor and you'll never be sicker; Liquor before beer and you're in the clear).  I never ever drink wine with anything else but wine, same goes for champagne (of course, I really don't like wine or champagne, but the rule still stands if you don't want to be sick).  I eat [b]plain[/b] chips or crackers (stay the Hell away from dips, cheeses, spreads, etc.) while I'm drinking.  I normally wait until the buzz is starting to wear off and then I take a couple aspirin and force down a quart of water.

Recap:

Lots and lots of water the day before and of.

Drink good booze.

Pace yourself, allowing the alcohol to take effect before consuming more.

Drink a few shots or mixes of liquor before having beer.  

If drinking wine or champagne, stick to wine and champagne.

Eat something starchy while drinking.

Wait for the booze to start to wear off, then take a couple aspirin and drink a lot of water.

***Special Note:  If you take shots with beer chasers (like I do), take a couple (2-3) shots before drinking any beer.  Pace yourself, wait for those shots to make you feel good.  Drink 12 oz. of beer per 3-4 shots minimum, more beer to liquor is generally better (and cheaper).  Doing it that way, it shouldn't take more than 7-8 shots and a 6-pack to get nice and warm.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A point that hasn't been mentioned is to drink high quality alcohol.
With less impurities you will notice a difference in the morning.
I have drank a considerable amount of cheap Vodka and really felt like shit the next day.
When drinking high quality, expensive Vodka while I may not feel like a million bucks in the morning the difference is a drastically less severe hangover.
View Quote

This is _very_ important.  You also need to be concerned with the makeup of the beverage.  Many bottled beers have preservatives which in high quantities will make you quite sick or aggravate a hangover.  Beers with live yeast, like certain Belgian white ales are not too good in vast quantities.  Vodka that's been distilled several times (Grey Goose, Belvedeer) does not have the character of Russian vodka, but has less impurities.  Despite how good of a brand it may be, Gin is made from berries and will hurt like heck in the morning.  Same with tequila, even good Anejo or Reposado is rife with impurities and is best had in smaller amounts.

Liquor before beer isn't an issue if you 'keep it in the family', scotch whisky starts out as essentially beer and mixing the two is generally pretty safe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]
How to prevent a hangover?

Basic problem solving skills....

Figure out what causes them, and avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Being married to a doctor, the best thing is pure oxygen.

A few hits on it will clear your body of the posions, you will fell like a new man.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Best way to avoid a hangover is to stay drunk.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#43]
water and about 2000MG of ginseng...it works for the koreans and me......no hangovers
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#44]

"Here's a drink a few of us invented one Friday night at our "local". We were all very shit-faced and decided to try sober
up slightly (Without non-alcoholic drinks) so that we could move on to somewhere else.

We call it the "STUNTMAN"

It consists of your basic tequila, lemon and salt........only the method of drinking it changes.

Step 1. Put a liberal amount of salt on the back of your hand. Sniff vigorously in to one nostril.
Step 2. Shoot the tequila down your throat.
Step 3. Squeeze lemon generously in to open eye.

Let me tell ya.....If this doesn't wake you up, nothing will.
To get the best effect, repeat.........use other nostril and other eye second time round.

Enjoy!!"

Never tried it, just heard of it

Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I don't believe all of the posts here have not mentioned MY method......throw up....
I have a trick stomach.....I have a very low tolerance and when I get to the point of a severe buzz....everything bounces. I am not talking severe expensive drinking....one night it was just 5 club margaritas......dollar drinks. And I am fine the next day.....other than the residual soreness in my torso, but hey it is a good work out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#46]
You need to find balance, Yin and Yang.
Yin being drunk, while Yang is dealing with the hangover.
Without that there would be no balance in the universe.
FYI, I just drink H20 and suffer through the rest, teaches me a lesson for about 12 hrs
mat
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Try drinkin the brine/juice from dill pickles. Works for me.

OlDad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top