Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 5:06:01 PM EDT
I found two timed artillery fuzes and a solid projectile in a tin can yesterday. My father in law owned a factory that made munitions and various other military items but I don't know why he had these. The fuze looks to me like they are WW1 German, but I don't know anything about these things so I'm guessing.

There was also a solid steel projectile with a brass ring swagged on it to engage the rifleing. It has been cut to show this ring.

Anyone know anything about this stuff? (more info and pics below)
Fuze 1 Below

Stamped on it:

Dopp . Z . 92 o Vorst.

Sp 18

The time ring goes from 2 - 40

Fuze 2

H . Z . 05 . 17 . Sonr

Sb 18

Time ring goes from 3 -70

Here's the solid steel projectile cutaway.

It measures 25MM at the raised brass ring X 99MM long.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on guns. And that is pretty neat

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Ever heard of a 'StarGate'?

Well don't fuck with the time rings or we're all doomed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Does a artilery fuse have any type of explosive in it? Hit it with a hammer numerous times to make sure it is inert....
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't tell you anything about them, but cool find
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does a artilery fuse have any type of explosive in it? Hit it with a hammer numerous times to make sure it is inert....

I don't think so...

I found them by knocking the tin can from a shelf that was about 7 feet from a concrete floor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope those fuzes dont have the Boosters in them. Especially being that old.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't fuck with em, but thats just me.

I'm lucky I still have all 9 fingers considering my past history with gun related stuff blowing up in me face.

ETA: 10! I have 10 fingers!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#8]
We found this at work at the old Charleston Navy base.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Ummm yeah.

There could still be a few grams of something  very nasty in those units.  

Just because they did not detonate when they hit the deck the first time means nothing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/strycnine/0315090650-1.jpg

And I'd go "HAHA Fuck you, I'm walking thataway."

Old ordnance, especially unidentifiable does not make Freerider a happy person.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/strycnine/0315090650-1.jpg

And I'd go "HAHA Fuck you, I'm walking thataway."

Old ordnance, especially unidentifiable does not make Freerider a happy person.  

An employee was turning the fuse. I got the fuck out of there.

Airforce guys came by and got it.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm lucky I still have all 9 fingers considering my past history with gun related stuff blowing up in me face.

wat?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
No, but I found this old one in St. Micheals MD, my wife wont let me bring it in the house.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Do NOT fuck with UXO unless you want the nickname 'stumpy'.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
The steel projo is probably a training cutaway, of an  early anti-tank rifle round...

The cavity in the back would be for tracer compound...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Messing with UXOs is so a bad idea.............
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat?

My 10 fat fingers apparently don't work together with my brain when typing

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 8 fingers and 2 thumbs....so far.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Uh . . . yeah.  Former artillery officer here.  Yes, fuses have a small amount of HE in them, they are the initiator for the explosive chain and they detonate the primary charge.  That's more or less the whole point of a fuze.   Now, on a modern fuze you can play baseball with it and you would be OK, because the fuze only arms after it spins for a little bit after the shell is fired.  On a fuze this old who knows?  Obviously, as you said you already knocked it off a shelf and still have all your fingers and toes.  It's either inert by design or you got lucky or it needs to be fired and spin first before it arms.  Anyway, you are better off having it properly disposed of.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

ETA: 10! I have 10 fingers!
lulz

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]
The two fuzes are powder train time fuzes probably used in front ejecting shrapnel rounds.  Hot gases from the projectile propellant ignite a pyrotechnic composition in the fuze which has the burn length adjusted by turning the rings.  I don't have my WWI German ordnance pubs at home so I can't look up the exact identification/functioning.  The second fuze is very similar to the fuze found in US/French 75mm shrapnel projectiles.

I've graduated EOD school in 1980 and only have 8 fingers.

And two thumbs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The stamping definitely looks German.

If you can't get an answer here. These chaps can help
British Ordnance Collectors Network Forums
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#23]
The brass ring on the small projectile is known as the "rotating band" despite the fact that it isn't supposed to rotate.  To determine the size of the projectile you have to measure at the widest part of the steel body, not the outside of the rotating band.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]
To Metalman - if your cannon ball has a brass plug-like thing in it, it probably contains a black powder filler and is still very dangerous.  The plug is about the size of a nickel or quarter and should be obvious.  If the ball is all iron with no plug it still has a DDOT hazard associated with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuze 1 Below
Stamped on it:
Dopp . Z . 92 o Vorst.
Sp 18

"Fuze 1"
Dopp. = Doppel Zunder: Time & Percussion Fuse
Z. = Zunder: Fuze
92 = 1892 (year adopted)
17=?
O Vorst. Vorstecker means "safety pin". I believe the O may be an abbreviation for "Ohne" which means "without". So without safety pin?
The time graduations are 6/8 to 28 in seconds and eights of of a second. When the setting mark is opposite the cross, the fuse is set for percussion

Quoted:
Fuze 2
H . Z . 05 . 17 . Sonr
Sb 18

The H.Z. 05 is listed under "Obsolete German Artillery Fuzes." pg.4 (c) Fuzes for Universal Shell.
"Fuze 2"
H.Z. = Haubitz-ziinder: Howitzer Fuse
05 = 1905 (year adopted)
Schr not "scnr". Schr = Schrapnel: Shrapnel

Source: "Notes of German Fuzes 1918"
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:36:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The two fuzes are powder train time fuzes probably used in front ejecting shrapnel rounds. Hot gases from the projectile propellant ignite a pyrotechnic composition in the fuze which has the burn length adjusted by turning the rings. I don't have my WWI German ordnance pubs at home so I can't look up the exact identification/functioning. The second fuze is very similar to the fuze found in US/French 75mm shrapnel projectiles.

I've graduated EOD school in 1980 and only have 8 fingers.
And two thumbs.

Not that this means much, but the second fuze has a wax pencil marking on it in two places that says "75". More than likely written by my father in law. His company made things like this during WWII and there was a pile of old stuff like this that they had around for examples. Most was disposed of long ago but some of it is still turning up.

I know they made hand grenades, I found a whole 55 gallon drum of them years ago in a backroom of the plant. The lid was marked "dispose". They weren't live, just the main part, no paint, no go boom stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The brass ring on the small projectile is known as the "rotating band" despite the fact that it isn't supposed to rotate. To determine the size of the projectile you have to measure at the widest part of the steel body, not the outside of the rotating band.

That part measures 24.89mm. An odd size.

The actual diameter on the raised ring is 25.54.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuze 1 Below

Stamped on it:

Dopp . Z . 92 o Vorst.

Sp 18

"Fuze 1"

Dopp. = Doppel Zunder: Time & Percussion Fuse

Z. = Zunder: Fuze

92 = 1892 (year adopted)

17=?

O Vorst. Vorstecker means "safety pin". I believe the O may be an abbreviation for "Ohne" which means "without". So without safety pin?

The time graduations are 6/8 to 28 in seconds and eights of of a second. When the setting mark is opposite the cross, the fuse is set for percussion

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4540/pg114fromnotesongermanf.jpg
Quoted:

Fuze 2

H . Z . 05 . 17 . Sonr

Sb 18

The H.Z. 05 is listed under "Obsolete German Artillery Fuzes." pg.4 (c) Fuzes for Universal Shell.

"Fuze 2"

H.Z. = Haubitz-ziinder: Howitzer Fuse

05 = 1905 (year adopted)

Schr not "scnr". Schr = Schrapnel: Shrapnel

Source: "Notes of German Fuzes 1918"

Thank you for the info.

So I guessed right? They are WWI German.
And THANK YOU to all that replied.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Would he not be able to see any material through the hole/holes in the bottom with a bright light?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To Metalman - if your cannon ball has a brass plug-like thing in it, it probably contains a black powder filler and is still very dangerous.  The plug is about the size of a nickel or quarter and should be obvious.  If the ball is all iron with no plug it still has a DDOT hazard associated with it.

Some cannonballs also used wooden fuses.  I know that I got sick of inerting cannonballs, with both brass and wood fuses, when I was with the 45th EOD at Ft Polk in 1966.  They had been under water for over a hundred years and some still had dry powder inside.

I know someone wants to ask. DDOT means "don't drop on toe."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I know someone wants to ask. DDOT means "don't drop on toe."

In my line of work, we call that a FYFPOSTFH (fuck! you fucking piece of shit! that fucking hurt!) that hazard.

I guess yours is a bit easier

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There is no brass plug but it does look like there might be a cast iron plug about the size of a quarter corroded into it. I do think it is solid though, it weighs 29 lbs 5 ounces.
A little back story St. Michaels was "The town that fooled the British" during the War of 1812, I don't now for sure this is from then but it is neat to think it might.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top