Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 5:02:27 PM EDT
My room mate is getting ready to sign the papers for the Navy and he plans on being a SEAL. He feels pretty confadent that he can make it and I was wondering if anyone was a SEAL, DELTA, GREEN BARET, or Anyother SF.

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
One thing to think about if you sign up for the seals and you don't make it what else are you going to do in the navy?

I know a army ranger it took me a while until I even figured out he was a ranger. He wasn't bragging but from what I heard it sounded really tough but you could tell he loved the training.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, I was a delta .50 sniper in vietnam...by the way you wanna buy some beef jerky? I need more cash before I go to the next gun show[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor spent 12 years in SF. He was a Captain when he had his leg shattered in a jump. Your room mate has a very slim chance of making it thru into the SEALS. He had better have at least 3 or 4 backup deals worked out or he will get screwed in the end! Remember, the recruter just needs to get him to sign the papers. They will promise him ANYTHING to reach that goal.

Good luck to him but plan ahead. Because plan A never happens. Neither does plan B. That's why you have at least 2 more back-up plans in hand. And if he makes the SEALS, he'll learn this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The only SF guy I know who used to post here regularly got tired of all the paranoid tinfoil hat types and other know-it-alls and left.  He may still lurk here.

You do realize SF is Army, right?

As for the Navy, becoming a SEAL has been described as more difficult than making it into the NBA.  But hey, someone has to do it.

Check out [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=217510&w=searchPop]this[/url] recent thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I have learned, it appears the process of becoming a SEAL is more difficult than becoming a DELTA operator.

Better hope your buddy eats his Wheaties every morning...and is made of a mettle that less than one-half-of-one-percent of the military population is made of.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
GREEN BARET,.

Thanks Jerad
View Quote

Jerad, Stick to selling sandwiches.

My cousin used to wear a green baret in her hair.  But Ive never seen one that was live.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a 1st Lt. who wore a "green beret."
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the managers at my work was a cpatin in SF's. I dont know much about what he did but he fully supports me going back into the Marines as an officer and is pushing me to try to go for infantry. I also have another friend who made it though the sf's testing but didn't join because he decided to get out after an incident with an officer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Try going here: [url]www.socnetcentral.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Adam I assume you are talking about Combat_Diver? If you are, its a shame, he was always full of good information.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try going here: [url]www.socnetcentral.com[/url]
View Quote

Zardoz.........you gonna send that poor guy directly into the lions den! LOL!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
A "easier" way to get into Special Ops would be going the Army Ranger route!  I don't know if the Army lets one sign an enlistment package that will get you to the Ranger Battalions anymore. The Ranger Battalions are quick to discard those who can't cut it and that individual becomes "needs of the Army" Infantry.

If your friend can hack it as a scrolled Ranger, then he has opened the door for SF or Delta where a lot of Rangers move on to!

Here is a example of a Ranger Scroll [img]http://www.saundersinsignia.com/images/723BL.jpg[/img]

Here is a Ranger tab, for successful completion of Ranger School, don't confuse the two, the scroll is much harder to earn!
[img]http://www.saundersinsignia.com/images/724BL.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#13]
eodtech has the right idea,
I would be glad to answer any questions concerning ARMY SF that I can.

[img]http://carrasco.home.texas.net/mastpara.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
my kid is going to go the ranger route, i have a friend who is a ranger also, or was, he stretched his back on a jump, now he is out, he went all the way, not just the school
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I myself plan on going to Ranger route when I enlist. That will open alot of doors for me.

In my opinion, if you think positive, and have faith in yourself and can push yourself to the limits, there is nothing one cannot achieve. It's all in your head, you have to have faith in yourself. Without that, you have nothing.

Start running with a ruck and boots, and excercising like a madman. But, most of all, always think positive about yourself. Always. I can't stress that enough.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#16]
There are also some guys here who are in Mall SPECOPS.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#17]
As someone mentioned, what happens if he fails BUD/S?  He may not want to be stuck in the NAVY  (no offense).

I would also recommend the Ranger route, that or may be try AF Special Tactics.    

The good thing about going the ranger route is that if he finds that he can't cut it (not saying he can't), then at least he has the infantry or what ever else to fall back on.

One other thing to consider, the US ARMY Special Forces is taking direct recruits now (at least they were as of earlier this year).  They take you as a raw recruit and then build you up into a special forces soldier.  I think when the main training is done, you graduate as a sargent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#18]
On Average, 70% of BUDS students choose to "ring-the-bell" and drop out from training on their own. They are then sent back to the fleet to finish their time with the Navy.

[img]http://www.homesafe.com/mudpuppy/buds/media/buds7.gif[/img]

Ding.. Ding.. Ding..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I think he'd be better off going the Marine route. Then he could work his way into Recon. If he was able to hack that he could go the SEAL route. The SEALs are the Best of the Best in my book. If you're a SEAL you're the cream of the crop, not to take anything away from Rangers/SF's/Delta. One thing he'll need to get use to is the cold. During Hell Week he'll be cold,tired and hungry for the whole week. If you can try to catch some of the BUD's/SEAL traing programs that they show on the History Ch. from time to time. After he watches a couple of those shows he just may change his mind. If he does make it my hat will be off to him because he'll truly be a man among men.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As someone mentioned, what happens if he fails BUD/S?  He may not want to be stuck in the NAVY  (no offense).

I would also recommend the Ranger route, that or may be try AF Special Tactics.    

The good thing about going the ranger route is that if he finds that he can't cut it (not saying he can't), then at least he has the infantry or what ever else to fall back on.

One other thing to consider, the US ARMY Special Forces is taking direct recruits now (at least they were as of earlier this year).  They take you as a raw recruit and then build you up into a special forces soldier.  I think when the main training is done, you graduate as a sargent.
View Quote

Better off going through the Ranger Battalion first than SF!  The Ranger Battalions turn out complete squared-away combat soldiers who have the their Infantry skills mastered!  Then going to SF is not a big jump and the Ranger skills pay dividends when SHTF!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
On Average, 70% of BUDS students choose to "ring-the-bell" and drop out from training on their own. They are then sent back to the fleet to finish their time with the Navy.

[url]http://www.homesafe.com/mudpuppy/buds/media/buds7.gif[/url]

Ding.. Ding.. Ding..
View Quote

I love the Bell, we had one of those at EOD school!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#22]
my baby brother is special forces. he is a 1lt. waiting to make captain in january, he was a sf's e-6 medic but went to p.a. school and thus became a medical officer. he has already been to afghanistan where he earned his combat medic badge and is going back there in march when they deploy again.he has his jump wings, cmb and flight surgeon wings..he wants to go to scuba school also. he is quite a soldier, i am very proud of him.he loves sf's!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I went through SF selection. I hurt my back. My enlisment in regular army was up at the time so they attached me to an SF NG unit. I was supposed to do airborne and then Q course, but I found out how bad my back was, and that ended everything. I'm on Morphine right now as we speak. I have my second back surgery Wednesday. Tell your friend to have a plan B. No matter how tough he thinks he is. Oh, and Navy seals aren't Special Forces,they're special operations. Special Forces are Army. The news mixes that up all the time.
I wish your friend good luck.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
First of all, nobody enlists as a SEAL.  They wash out something like 90% of all applicants in initial training.  Have a backup plan.

I worked with three on one TDY a few years ago. One was a supply puke, one was a salvage diver and one has some sort of fabricating speciality. They were blowing up old piers for practice and having a really good time. All had volunteered and made it into the SEALs after enlisting.

I have one friend in the Army SF, he was a Ranger first, airborne and air assault qualified.  He was a terrible shot, but 2 years on our rifle team fixed that.  Now he is a dangerous and very healthy man. He had 7 years active duty before he got to SF.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I went through SF selection. I hurt my back. My enlisment in regular army was up at the time so they attached me to an SF NG unit. I was supposed to do airborne and then Q course, but I found out how bad my back was, and that ended everything. I'm on Morphine right now as we speak. I have my second back surgery Wednesday. Tell your friend to have a plan B. No matter how tough he thinks he is. Oh, and Navy seals aren't Special Forces,they're special operations. Special Forces are Army. The news mixes that up all the time.
I wish your friend good luck.
View Quote

Good luck with the surgery doc, let us know how it goes.

How long will you be offline??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top