Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/13/2011 5:51:24 PM EDT
I always see posts by some people saying they can't carry because they can't get a CCW permit, but I'm wondering about those that can carry, but don't.

Personally I had a CCW permit for several years and when living in a real shitty area carried a G19 or at the very least a P3AT on me.  Roommate was stuck up on the block behind my house, a cop got shot on my neighbors sidewalk, a crack house operated across the street, local banks got robbed at gunpoint just blocks away, it was a dangerous area.  These days I live in a city where the crime is much lower and the bad areas are outside the city so you won't ever find yourself just driving through one.  Now I no longer feel the urge to carry and a few people tell me I'm crazy for it, but really I don't feel in danger of a criminal element.  

Whats the hive think?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I did for years.....just got around to getting my license in the past year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a CHL, but almost never carry
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't carried in years....
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a CHL, but almost never carry

This.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Guns are icky....  

I live in SE Michigan, about 20 miles from Detroit. I carry all the time!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]

VICTIM______

GUN OWNER___X__

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Despite 7yrs in LE, I don't CCW due to being too medicated anymore, too much of a liability.  Doubt my former boss would even sign off a permit for me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

but really I don't feel in danger of a criminal element.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If we had Constitutional carry I would.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guns are icky....  

I carried while visiting Detroit, would probably carry everyday if I still lived there.

These days I live in the Forbes voted most liveable city of Pittsburgh.  There are some ghettos outside the city I'd carry into, but inside the city is relatively safe unless your looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
it was such a big deal for me when I lived in the northeast, but now that I live in AZ, I hardly ever do.  just no longer that big a deal.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a ccw, but rarely carry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Varies by weather.  Fortunately it's cold and rainy a lot in WA.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
nope. about everyone I know does. Have leo's here on my block , one is best friend. no need
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a CCW for several years but aside from twice carrying my G19 in the center console of my car on a trip, I've never used it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
I wear a pistol, etc.,. as part of my daily "Meet the world" gear.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]

<textarea style="width:100%;height:100%;bottom:0"></textarea>
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a CCW since '95 and there were years where I didn't carry.  But I do it more as a hobby than anything else when I do.  I enjoy shooting and trying to figure out what will work best for me.  I'm in carry mode now, whenever it's feasible.  It's fun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in a town of 700 and I never leave home without my carry piece.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have not been outside of my house in years without a firearm on or about my person.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Got tired of carrying myself, so I hired a gunbearer.
Kind of like a caddy, but for guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Every time I get complacent and leave the house without a gun, something happens that makes me wish I hadn't left the house without a gun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have never carried.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every time I get complacent and leave the house without a gun, something happens that makes me wish I hadn't left the house without a gun.

Usually a few of those will get you carrying more.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Bunch of fucking hobbyists.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't because 90% of the places I go don't allow it.  For me, at least, it doesn't make sense to even have a CCW other than the lack of wait for a handgun and not needing a background check for firearm purchases.  I don't know if everywhere has the same or similar rules for CCW but here there are so many places / situations that you can't carry I err on the safe side and just leave it at home.  That being said I will carry if I'm going to somewhere questionable, as long as it's allowed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ditto.

I carry everywhere that I am not legally prohibited to do so.

I operate on the principle that I am going to feel really, REALLY dumb if the one time I happen to need my carry piece is the time I was too lazy to put it on.

Of course, I might feel really, really DEAD too.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I admit I have gotten lax about carrying the past couple of years.

I have to renew this October, so I probably need to renew my mindset as well.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Wouldn't leave the house without it!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm waiting for my permit to arrive in the mail and I will be carrying as much as possible once I can.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry almost always (except where prohibited).  If I am wearing gym shorts and just want to run to the store, I won't...but that happens less than once a month on average.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I think of it as a civic duty when I carry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I usually only carry if I'm going fishing/camping etc. I just don't like the constant stress of having to hide my gun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#35]
For the first 20 years I never left the house without some type of handgun , but in the last 12 years I have reached
the point where I almost never carry . Instead I have one in my vehicle and one or two at work that are quickly accessible .

I've found that situational awareness will pretty much eliminate the need to defend yourself 95% of the time .
So i'm gambling that having a gun nearby will more then cover that other 5%
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think of it as a civic duty when I carry.

This is a good point.

It might not be just your own bacon that you save someday.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
I wear a pistol, etc.,. as part of my daily "Meet the world" gear.

Yep. LE for several years now, over four counties. Nowadays I send at least two people to prison each month. I'm nut stupid enough to think one of them (or one of the hundreds I've arrested) won't try to accost me one day. It's happened to coworkers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Basically.  If I have shoes/boots on,  I have a gun on.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Technically yes, although that choice is influenced by possible jail time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Have leo's here on my block , one is best friend. no need

I hope you aren't serious.

This thread will not end well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I used to drive a really shitty car, so I always wore my seatbelt. Now I have a nice car, so I don't feel the need to buckle up anymore. Same with fire extinguishers. when I lived in a frame house, I kept two handy and had an escape plan, but when I moved to a brick house, I got rid of them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#42]
It's hard to carry in the summer without looking like a park ranger.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I used to drive a really shitty car, so I always wore my seatbelt. Now I have a nice car, so I don't feel the need to buckle up anymore. Same with fire extinguishers. when I lived in a frame house, I kept two handy and had an escape plan, but when I moved to a brick house, I got rid of them.

I'm guessing you don't carry around everything you might ever need with you everywhere you go...

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing you don't carry around everything you might ever need with you everywhere you go...

Just the things that might save my life, or those of my family.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

you keep them handy, you don't carry around a fire extinguisher or defibrillator with you on your person

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The shit you see when you aren't carrying is enough to make you carry 2.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I usually only carry if I'm going fishing/camping etc. I just don't like the constant stress of having to hide my gun.

People worry too much about this, 99% of people are too oblivious to notice. The 1% that does notice is probably one of us.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guns are icky....  

I carried while visiting Detroit, would probably carry everyday if I still lived there.

These days I live in the Forbes voted most liveable city of Pittsburgh.  There are some ghettos outside the city I'd carry into, but inside the city is relatively safe unless your looking for trouble.

Because bad guys never go into "good areas" to do bad things to good people.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you keep them handy, you don't carry around a fire extinguisher or defibrillator with you on your person

I have a defibrillator with me almost every day. Not on my person, though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a permit years ago and carried all the time when I lived in an area where the risk was much higher and had a job where it was stupid not to have a gun with me.  I haven't carried in years.  I figured out that it was easier to just move out of the city.  There are many other benefits to go along with the move.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top