Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:21:55 PM EDT
I am putting a website together for my new business. One of my friends has put together a couple of videos to put on my website. He is using some soundtrack music to accompany the video . . . what do I need to do in order to be legal according to copyright laws. I know I have to have it but I don't know what do to in order to get it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I just want it to be legit and legal since it is linked with my business.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I THINK you need to fill out a form and send a recording to the Library of Congress.

ETA:  Oh, duh, you're not talking about copyrighting music –– you're talking about USING someone else's copyrighted music.
Dunno, sorry.  I know there are "Fair Use" statutes, but the music/film biz treats that stuff differently than the publishing industry does with printed material.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
For business you'll have to pay BMI  & ASCAP a fee for use.  Once a year you'll have to fill out a form with Title, Artist and who wrote it, and send it back to them. This will give you rights to any music you use on the website, so no problems to arise later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top