Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:39:59 AM EDT
I am in the process of sell my 911 and considering a new Lancer Evolution X. I was just wondering if anyone on here has one or has a friend who does and can give me pros and cons. I am going to test drive a few tomorrow. However, they rarely let you REALLY drive a car during a test drive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only driven a evo 8 but it was unsupervised. I had a big for the rest of the night. I know that they had some customer service issues a when the 8-9 was out but haven't heard anything lately. Just note that if you do find yourself at a track, remove your plates and cover your vin.

I would also give strong consideration to a subi but imho the current sti is really fugly.

-JTP
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking about buying an EVO. I test drove one a few weeks ago, along with the new WRX STI. I can't stand the new styling of the STI but YMMV. The Evo was like a little rocket on wheels. It felt like it was glued into the road. The salesman that went along encouraged me to have a little fun with it. What a blast. The only thing right now holding me back from buying it is, that my trucked is paid off and only has 104K on the odometer. It will probably last me several more years and they dont want to give me shit for a trade right now because its a gas hog.

Toiyabe66 is the man to talk to about Evo's drop him an IM

Here's a thread of his you may like
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=695086
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The dealership I work for bought a Mitsubishi franchise.  I have a little bit of seat and class time on the EVO X.

The chassis is superhuman.  The electronic nannies make the car unshakable in all but the hardest, craziest driving situations.  The car is deceptively fast - I thought I was puttering along, short shifting like my granny, when I looked down at the speedo I was in the triple digits in 4th gear with plenty of go-pedal left.  Power delivery is buttery smooth - they say the VIII and IX are faster, but the power delivery is like a light switch, kinda dull down low then WHAM, you're moving.  Not this car.  The 4B11 in the X does away with timing belts, so you don't have to worry about that every 60K or however many miles.

I've been told that all Evolutions are hard on clutches, whether they're driven easy or not.  As a 911 owner it probably doesn't bother you, but the ride quality is pretty brisk on broken, rough pavement.  

I'd love to own one myself, so long as I didn't have to fix it when it breaks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a IX and X. (and GVR4 for that matter)
The X is full of win for a everyday car that also kicks some ass. It is NOT the raw, pissed off street legal race car that the IX is. Before the X came out I never used to recommend the EVO to anyone who wasn't already looking for one. They were a very special car that took a very special owner, and most people would not appreciate it. But the new X is a car that anyone looking for a sports sedan should really consider. It's very easy to get to mid to upper 3xx AWHP range with the X, we had our shop car to 440awhp 6-8weeks after we got it.

It runs 11's now but this is a good video-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi79VikWLH8

Get one and buy parts here (proceeds go toward hookers+ blow+ NFA toys)-
www.agpturbo.com/home.php?cat=323

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a dealer that was willing to sell new Evo X's for $29k. The Evo X just feels too much like the Lancer in terms of quality/finish. It's a fun car that is superior to other cars in the same price range for performance and handling.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I found a dealer that was willing to sell new Evo X's for $29k. The Evo X just feels too much like the Lancer in terms of quality/finish. It's a fun car that is superior to other cars in the same price range for performance and handling.

Where might this dealer be?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The X is full of win for a everyday car that also kicks some ass. It is NOT the raw, pissed off street legal race car that the IX is. Before the X came out I never used to recommend the EVO to anyone who wasn't already looking for one. They were a very special car that took a very special owner, and most people would not appreciate it. But the new X is a car that anyone looking for a sports sedan should really consider. It's very easy to get to mid to upper 3xx AWHP range with the X, we had our shop car to 440awhp 6-8weeks after we got it.

Thanks for the info! What kind of trap speeds are you seeing on the 11 second runs? That thing looked like a rocket in the video. And unlike most 11 or 12 second cars, it can also REALLY take the twisties (which is what I love to do).

I was reading on Edmunds that Vishnu Performance Systems is beta testing a new PROcede module that adds 75 HP with no other mods. The article states that with a new exhaust they were getting 400bhp. I have also read good things about the AGP intercooler and cold air intake. I wonder what the combo of all three would get me to...

Since I am currently driving an older 911 that has been judiciously modified for handling, a harsh ride is really not a concern for me. I had been looking at an VIII or IX, but the side curtain airbags for the rear passengers (I have kids) is a selling point with the wife unit. We are going to test drive the X this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1000.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Just returned from the test drive. WOW!

The only thing I did not like was the electronic throttle which does not really provide throttle position feedback. It will take some getting used to. Otherwise, it was great. I feigned unfamiliarity while winding it out: "Man, this thing really gets to speed a lot quicker than it seems." "Oops, I guess I was going a little faster than I thought around that corner."

The only issue is the one I drove is WAY over-equipped. It had basically every option you can get. The salesman did not seem to understand when I kept telling him that I want a base EVO. It is the engine, S-AWD system, chassis and brakes I am interested in. Not a 650 watt stereo. Not a navigation system. Not the extra-high rear wing and side skirts...

I finally convinced them to find me a base one and we will talk.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
We got four base models, if you're wanting to come to Georgia and buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top