Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2002 12:16:05 PM EDT
I feel like complete sh*t.  I've called into work the last two days hoping that the rest would do me good, but it hasn't.  Worst of all, we had our first sunny, beautiful, 60+ degree day yesterday and I couldn't do anything except lie down and watch TV.  Today is the same thing, only a little cooler.  It sucks to be sick.

Kevin.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I feel like complete sh*t.  I've called into work the last two days hoping that the rest would do me good, but it hasn't.  Worst of all, we had our first sunny, beautiful, 60+ degree day yesterday and I couldn't do anything except lie down and watch TV.  Today is the same thing, only a little cooler.  It sucks to be sick.

Kevin.
View Quote

Mass quantities of Vitamin C, lots of fluids, plenty of rest. I just got rid of a simultanious case of flu and strep (sp?) throat.
I ended up going to the doc for antibiotics, which is very rare for me. It worked though. Usually I prefer to let my own body wage the war - keeps the immune system strong. This time, the bug won.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I was hit pretty hard by the Flu a few weeks ago.  I didn't eat anything solid for three days.  Started forcing food down after that.  I was out for almost a week and felt weak for another 4 to 5 days.  The only thing that works is taking meds for the symptoms and time.

I think they have new meds that can shorten the duration of the Flu if taken early enough. Call your Doc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Take Two herbs in combination: Ecchinacea & Goldenseal.

Go see a Chiropractor and get adjusted.

Sit in a steam room for at least an hour while drinking good clean water.
Sweat it out.

Work EVERYTIME for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you mean by the "flu"?

If respiratory influenza see your doc asap and get some Flumadine. You need to start it early for it to be effective. Cough syrup and ibuprofen are about the only other things that help. If you've ever had a seizure I would avoid the Flumadine and try Tamiflu. That covers influenza B as well as A but doesn't work as well as flumadine. Even if tis been several days I would still try the Flumadine.

If "stomach flu" there is nothing curative per se but meds to relieve nausea and vomiting are about as good as it gets. Ibuprofen for abdominal cramps. Clear liquids(not water) such as 7-up or pwerade and Immodium for diarrhea.

Let me know if there is something else going on.

Doc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Flu shot! At least for me, I starting getting them 5 years ago and never again got the flu. Yeah its too late you would have to wait until next year, but I know people who swear they would never get the shot, but I have to say 5 years and I have not gotten the flu. Before that I would catch the flu once every winter. This winter though, I didn't even catch a cold. Amazing for me. Also considering in NY it seems we would have one or two 60 degree days, then the next day would be 20 out. That fluxuation usually gets people sick. I also contribute it to being on Mega vitamins for a year now, and have been working out/exercising better then any other period in my life!

My advice, take vitamins not just C, rest, lots of food (force yourself) and plenty of fluid. Try to get out for a few minutes on the nicer days and walk a little. Even if its just up and down the driveway! Hope you feel better, I hate the flu!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Vit C, etc don't do shit once your sick. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I drink lots of Jim Beam. I don't know if it cures anything but I feel better about the world in general.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Oslow I was even too sick to drink Jim Beam.  Acutaly the thought of it would have probably killed me.

I had respiratory influenza.  Lots of nasty stuff came out of my lungs and I was weak after I thought I was well.  I generally don't go to the doctor unless I am very ill or I am certain I have an infection.  In retrospect I should have gone to the doctor this time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
You're right about Jim Beam, that crap will make you sick.  [;)]  Large quantities of a good single malt scotch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

...Also considering in NY it seems we would have one or two 60 degree days, then the next day would be 20 out. That fluxuation usually gets people sick....
View Quote

Sorry, but [b]being cold[/b] and [b]catching a cold[/b] are not in any way related.  Bacteria and viruses cause the infection and they could care less what your body temp or the outside air temp is.  

That's right up there with the "don't go outside with your hair wet, you'll get sick" theory.  Just ain't so...

As to the question:  time, my friend, time.  Rest, fluids, and more rest should take care of it eventually.  If not, go see your doctor-  respiratory infections can lead to pneumonia and will require antibiotics.

Anybody know how long to wait until you suspect pneumonia?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Every time I get a sniffle or feel something coming on i take two shots of Southern Comfort, a glass of water and go to bed. Wake up fine the next morning. [beer]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Puke. Squirt. Take aspirin. Stay in bed.
Don't go to work. Wait 3 days.  Great, huh?

I just had it.
My favorite part was the food I ate all day starting to come up again, oh, about 11PM.
First, the bile and chunks of dinner.
Then, the rest of that about midnight.
1AM brought up lunch, partially digested.  Yummy.
Then, about 2 or 3, the rest of lunch and any water/7-up/GingerAle I'd tried to drink for  dehydration after the first 3 pukes!

Just so you don't feel all alone!   No food or smoking for almost 4 days.
 Finally, the dreaded 'gas'...which is really a bubble of shit that's been hiding inside you for almost a week...oops.
Feeling better, now?
[;D]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Now [i]I'm[/i] beginning to feel sick...

[puke]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The perfect cure......

.357 under the chin.  Cures all.

Second best is alcohol.  I really think it helps.  I've tried this many times and it seems to reduce the symptoms.  Just stay away from work and behind the wheel.  Last think we need is a sick drunk on the road!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, try Echinacea.  Also some junk called "protease" (but which appears to be a papaya enzyme extract) that the health-food stores sell.

I didn't believe in this stuff at all.  Then I got severely ill, literally too weak to move, and my father force-fed it to me.  Within hours I was actually up and functioning again.  After a few more hours, I was feeling horrible again, and took more, and got better again. . . .  Repeated this for about three days.  It turned a really vicious case of the flu into one that was about average in intensity and much shorter in duration.

My father tried to insist that I take the stuff "every 20 minutes", but I adamantly refused.  It seems like about every four hours would work out fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If it is viral a trip to the doctor will help. A total liquid diet if you can't keep anything down.(stomach) I know this may sound weird, but drink Pedilyte or Gatorade so you don't mess up your electrolytes and get dehydrated.
Lots of hot tea with honey and lemon work too.
Hope you feel better soon....[;)]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I always have chicken soup/crackers and drink hot tea, honey,lemon and Christian Brothers brandy. I have the flu right now even though I received a flu shot last November, but it seems not to be as bad as last year. I hope you I and anyone else that has it fells better soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top