Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2003 9:05:24 PM EDT
Hello;
I have done a *lot* of searching, looking for a bench top drill press. An accurate, adjustable depth stop is important to me. Also, I need a DP with a minimum amount of runout. I would like this DP to also go deep into low speed territory.

For those reasons, most of the cheaper drill presses like Delta and Grizzly don't make the grade. I was at Sears today, and their Craftsman 12 in. Drill Press is on sale for $149. It seems like a tight unit with a really decent depth adjustment guage.
Craftsman 12"

The only thing is the lowest speed is 540 rpm. Higher than I'd like, but I might be able to do something creative about that. ;)

I'd like to invite comments from anyone that has this, or the the previously available Craftsman 10" benchtop unit.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 9:33:35 PM EDT by dpmmn]
Delta makes about one of the best drill presses out there. I have both the 12" and the 16" floor stand models. They work great for me. [url]www.deltawoodworking.com[/url] [img]http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Products/Tools/ExtraLarge/20021129200000_DP300_72dpi_400.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:59:54 AM EDT
FNBrowning, sounds more like you are expecting and demanding Vertical Mill performance out of a benchtop drillpress. Don't think you'll find it for reasonable $$.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 1:19:44 AM EDT
What Rayra said: A drill press is a quick and dirty way to make a hole. If you are truly looking for accuracy, you need a mill. To answer your question, I do have a Craftsman drill press that is about 30 years old and still going strong with ALOT of use. It is, however, not a mill.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:21:59 AM EDT
Gee dpmmn, didja notice that Delta there has no depth stop? [;)] [i]Of course[/i] a mill is the most accurate method of making a hole. There is no disputing this. But you assumed I was going to mill metal. Maybe I just want straight, consistant holes in hardwoods. [;)] But saying: >>"A drill press is a quick and dirty way to make a hole."<< Is also a way of saying: [i]We've gotten so used to accepting the innaccuracy of Taiwaneese tools that we forgot to demand what was previously possible with made-in-America products.[/i] There is no reason that we/I need to [i]accept[/i] poor runout in a drill press, because that's what Harbor Freight/Delta/Ryobi sells. I'll bet that 80FL's 30 year old press has less run out than many new $80 dollar specials. So the minimum choice is the Craftsman $149 12" DP. Or maybe I should look at a Jet or other model. That's why I asked the question. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:30:26 AM EDT
Not sure about this particular model, but some of the Craftsman drill presses are now made in China or Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:48:06 AM EDT
I have the model you are referring to. It's nice.My kid seems to use it for his mini-bikes and stuff more than me...
Top Top