Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 4:07:23 PM EDT
Seems that over about the past year or so many items that amazon used to sell are now sold by third party sellers thru amazon, or amazon "fulfills" the order.  I know they have had third party sellers for a long time, but they used to be the main seller and you had the option of the third party.  Now, for a lot of items, it seems that they don't even sell them at all.  I am speaking about popular items.  For example, I'm looking at sony camcorders, and for most of the models, amazon is not the seller, only third party.  I used to love shopping there, but seems to be going downhill.  Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've bought a few things recently with VERY good service.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats basically how its always been..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed that too.  However, I don't care where it comes from as long as it qualifies for the free Amazon Prime shipping!  We get a LOT of stuff from Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazon is great. I don't really care who stocks the stuff in their warehouse if the price is right and it gets here quick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
the ones fulfilled by others ship faster than ones from Amazon when using free shipping.  I ordered a bunch of stuff last month and the third party stuff got to me a week before the rest of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have bought from 3rd party sellers through Amazon more than once and never had an issue.  That said, if the price is the same I prefer to buy directly from Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Not on really popular items.  To me it stinks because I used to be able to just hit Amazon and know I was getting from a reputable dealer and for a good price.  Some of the third party sellers they use now are nothing special.  I know Amazon probably backs them up, but who wants to go thru the hassle.  I used to have great trust in anything I got from them, no so much anymore.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've noticed that too.  However, I don't care where it comes from as long as it qualifies for the free Amazon Prime shipping!  We get a LOT of stuff from Amazon.

This.

I ordered a UPS on Friday and for $3.99, they FedEx'ed it to me - Saturday delivery. Had it by 10:30AM!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It's damn near to the point where I look 2 places for an item- Google Shopping and Amazon.

Seems to get me the lowest price 95% of the time.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I almost impulse bought a $40 book at B&N the other day but I thought to myself, check Amazon.
$26.95 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon has been going downhill for some time in many areas, yet improving in others.  They never did come through for me on the bootleg CD that was sold through their site.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on really popular items.  To me it stinks because I used to be able to just hit Amazon and know I was getting from a reputable dealer and for a good price.  Some of the third party sellers they use now are nothing special.  I know Amazon probably backs them up, but who wants to go thru the hassle.  I used to have great trust in anything I got from them, no so much anymore.

Amazon was always like that. All the amazon-stocked items were always indicated so, but it was always a bunch of other sellers shipping things out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've sold stuff on amazon.  Amazon makes it pretty easy.  You can list items and ship them directly to the buyer or you can list items and ship the item to amazon before it is sold.  Amazon will then ship it to the buyer when it sells.

I've have good experiences as a buyer and a seller on amazon.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Odds and ends = 3rd party, usually.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon was always like that. All the amazon-stocked items were always indicated so, but it was always a bunch of other sellers shipping things out.

Thing is amazon used to always be listed as the primary seller and shipper, then you had other options.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them, but some things have me wondering where they are going.  If you go to the site, search for a Sony HDR-CX350V camcorder.  The first and largest add to cart vendor is fulfilled by amazon, but sold by "Wall Street Photo".  Anyone who is into cameras know that wall street photo is a sham.  There feedback even reflects it.  They are most likely a graymarket dealer.  If you go to their own website, there is no physical address or phone number.  I guess I just expected more from amazon in terms of who they would first in their list of "buy from this vendor".

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What hassle?  Amazon is doing all the work.  You are still buying the same product off from the same website.  And that's all you do, you don't deal with the other sellers really.

And really you have never known the differance?, you just have had it in your own mind that you were buying from "Amazon" who doesn't even own a store.  

And they have been doing this for years, so until you just figured it out, you have been satisfied with however Amazon conducted business.

You sound like a city person that just figured out that meat doesn't actually come from the store, that is raised on a farm first...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What hassle?  Amazon is doing all the work.  You are still buying the same product off from the same website.  And that's all you do, you don't deal with the other sellers really.

And really you have never known the differance?, you just have had it in your own mind that you were buying from "Amazon" who doesn't even own a store.  

And they have been doing this for years, so until you just figured it out, you have been satisfied with however Amazon conducted business.
You sound like a city person that just figured out that meat doesn't actually come from the store, that is raised on a farm first...

When buying electronics ($$) its important to use a "authorized" dealer.  Amazon used to be an "authorized dealer" for the items they sold.  When you purchase an item from them and they are not the actual dealer, you are taking your chances with the dealer.  Even if amazon fulfills the order, they are just a shipper (same way when amazon used to be the dealer someone else might be the shipper).  If I were to purchase the camcorder mentioned above thru amazon using "wall street photo" as the seller I would be screwed if something was wrong with the camera or if I needed service from sony.  Amazon would just send me back to wall street photo since they were only the shipper (this is the hassle).  I have no problem with anyone one else shipping items for amazon, as long as I am actually buying from amazon.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, around 30% of Amazon's sales is third-party.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I've bought a bunch of stuff from them (Cell phone, hard drives, controllers,
cables keyboards, etc.) Some Amazon fulfilled some others (3rd party).

The Only problem I ever had was last week:

I bought an item and the vendor did not have it, but mistakenly
shipped me a kids game. They (the vendor) apologized, refunded
my money and told me to keep the game all before it even arrived.
(I gave the game to my neighbor for his kids to play with).

So I've been pretty happy with them

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I find thet most of the shooting related stuff I buy from Amazon cones from a 3rd party company.

The only downside for me is that they don't then qualify for the Amazon Prime free shipping - which has saved me a ton of cash on my other purchases.  If you aren't a Prime member it is worth taking a look at.  $70 or so a year but free 2nd day shipping on al qualifying products.  My daughter needed a pack of index cards that were out of stock at a local store - normally you would hate to buy that $1.20 product online because of 3 or 4 dolar shipping, but order placed and arrived 2 days later.  Awesome.

If Cheaper Than Dirt had something like this I would buy a lot more from them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Amazon is still Good to Go.

Under the "Seller" Tab you can pick Amazon or any of the others.

Ever better:

Under the "Shipping Option" Tab you can pick Free Super Saver Shipping
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hasn't Amazon always been a "middle man?"

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm still failing to see the problem here.

Third party fulfilled by Amazon is a winner for me, as a Prime customer.  I can get even MORE stuff here free 2nd day or $3.99 overnight than I could even 12 months ago.

Yep, it's a terrible deal I tell you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I was wrong

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Amazon is still Good to Go.

Under the "Seller" Tab you can pick Amazon or any of the others.

Ever better:

Under the "Shipping Option" Tab you can pick Free Super Saver Shipping

Yep. That works fine for me.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When buying electronics ($$) its important to use a "authorized" dealer.  Amazon used to be an "authorized dealer" for the items they sold.  When you purchase an item from them and they are not the actual dealer, you are taking your chances with the dealer.  Even if amazon fulfills the order, they are just a shipper (same way when amazon used to be the dealer someone else might be the shipper).  If I were to purchase the camcorder mentioned above thru amazon using "wall street photo" as the seller I would be screwed if something was wrong with the camera or if I needed service from sony.  Amazon would just send me back to wall street photo since they were only the shipper (this is the hassle).  I have no problem with anyone one else shipping items for amazon, as long as I am actually buying from amazon.  

You do realize that orders fulfilled for a third party by Amazon are subject to Amazons (fantastic) return policy, right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015711

Have you had any actual problems with Amzon?  This is all much ado about nothing.

I think what he's saying is that...

say two years down the line, he might could run into warranty issues with the MFR.

Gray market goods don't carry a manufacturers warranty in some cases.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that orders fulfilled for a third party by Amazon are subject to Amazons (fantastic) return policy, right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15015711

Have you had any actual problems with Amzon?  This is all much ado about nothing.

I think what he's saying is that...

say two years down the line, he might could run into warranty issues with the MFR.

Gray market goods don't carry a manufacturers warranty in some cases.

Yeah I figured that out

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Amazon is great. I don't really care who stocks the stuff in their warehouse if the price is right and it gets here quick.

+a billion

I got a year free 2 day shipping free with a college email and between that and no taxes its fucking incredible.

Theres a great line in the movie the kingdom when Jamie Foxx is busting the other agents balls and tells him he probably buys his car batteries and his dress shirts in the same store....

next time your on there just search for something random for the hell of it... last time I did that I ended up with another uzi collapsable stock, they literally carry every single item known to man

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

THIS.

I fuckin' LOVE Amazon Prime.  It's more than paid for itself in sales + shipping savings.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I prefer the sold by amazo stuff too, but have ordered several items from 3rd parties fulfilled by amazon w/ zero issue, I just bought an MP3 player for an insanely low price and used amazon to pay for it even though geeks is a seperate entity
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#31]
sears.com is doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep. It seems like more and more vendors are available through Prime now in comparison to the few (if any) a year or two ago.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#33]
You pay taxes on inventory, you have to insure it, warehouse it, you lose inventory to theft and breakage and spoilage, unsold inventory has to be cleared out at a loss.  A lot of major net and brick and mortar retailers are desperate to heap those problems onto somebody else's shoulders.  For instance, much of what you find on the shelf at Wal-Mart doesn't belong to them, it belongs to the manufacturer until you buy it, Wal-Mart takes a percentage of the sale and acts like the manager of a marketplace selling on consignment.  Bigger retailers will always be trying to shift cost and risk onto their suppliers, better get used to it as long as just in time shipping is practical.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I buy A LOT of things off Amazon. I don't really care where it's coming from as long as I'm getting what I'm ordering and it's a good price. And, really, I haven't had any problems with them for as long as I've been using them. In fact, the only time they screwed up, I ended up getting a textbook I ordered for free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Amazon and Amazon Prime rock my freakin socks off.  However, if they ever start taxing internet sales, I can quickly see me using them much less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#36]
The only real difference for me is that a third party seller who sells you a product fulfilled by Amazon gets your contact info.  You may experience some spam from those sellers as a result; if it was directly from Amazon you don't get any spam.

I've had Amazon Prime for two years now and love it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I have no problems.  I use them for books more than anything else.  

I bought my Lodge camp dutch ovens from Amazon.  Not only were their prices as low as any I could find they also shipped free.  

That's huge on cast iron!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Never had a problem with amazon, but haven't ordered anything for a while.  If your order is over $25 you usually get free shipping.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#39]
The whole third party things means that you can buy just about anything on Amazon.  

I like that I can go on Amazon, find what I want, and all my info like shipping addresses and CC info is saved.  It sure beats having your info spewed out across the internet with 100 different stores.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#40]
I always tell the website to not show me anything not actually sold by Amazon.  If a third-party is selling it, I'm not interested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+a billion

I got a year free 2 day shipping free with a college email and between that and no taxes its fucking incredible.

Theres a great line in the movie the kingdom when Jamie Foxx is busting the other agents balls and tells him he probably buys his car batteries and his dress shirts in the same store....

next time your on there just search for something random for the hell of it... last time I did that I ended up with another uzi collapsable stock, they literally carry every single item known to man

Pens, MP3s, watertight cases, memory cards, Surefire lights, etc etc etc
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#42]
If it is a popular item that is a current model Amazon usually sells it. When new models come out Amazon burns through stock on the old items pretty quickly so you often have the third party retailers selling it only. If it is a current model Amazon is again probably just out of stock at the moment. Check back in a few weeks and see if they have it then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on really popular items.  To me it stinks because I used to be able to just hit Amazon and know I was getting from a reputable dealer and for a good price.  Some of the third party sellers they use now are nothing special. I know Amazon probably backs them up, but who wants to go thru the hassle.  I used to have great trust in anything I got from them, no so much anymore.

If it's fulfilled by another company and shipped via Amazon Prime, Amazon handles the return/warranty work though your account page.

Edit, so something like this is sold by "Pavilion Electronics", but it is fulfilled by "Amazon LLC"...  So you're still covered their guarantee.   So I don't see where you think this is a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Casio G-Shock watch through Amazon that was supplied by a third party. It was no hassle at all and I'm 100% satisfied with the transaction and the merchandise.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I've only had a problem once with a book order I placed. The third party seller had mislabeled two books, so I got one that was in worse condition than described and another that was an uncorrected paperback proof when it was supposed to be a "like new" hardcover. Amazon made it very easy to return and get my refund. All I had to do was go into my cart, select the items I wanted to return, print out a bar code, tape that to the box the books were originally sent in, and put it in my mailbox. Amazon arranged for pickup and I was immediately refunded for the cost of the books plus shipping, even though I didn't pay shipping in the first place (got it with the $25+ free shipping deal). I was told to just keep the shipping money, so I actually ended up making about $4.

I don't know how things would be handled with electronics warranties, but for immediate returns, Amazon couldn't have made it any easier or safer for customers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on really popular items.  To me it stinks because I used to be able to just hit Amazon and know I was getting from a reputable dealer and for a good price.  Some of the third party sellers they use now are nothing special. I know Amazon probably backs them up, but who wants to go thru the hassle.  I used to have great trust in anything I got from them, no so much anymore.

If it's fulfilled by another company and shipped via Amazon Prime, Amazon handles the return/warranty work though your account page.

Edit, so something like this is sold by "Pavilion Electronics", but it is fulfilled by "Amazon LLC"...  So you're still covered their guarantee.   So I don't see where you think this is a big deal.

Its that statement that makes the gaurantee not worth it:

Warranty Coverage:

• If your item becomes defective more than 30 days past the shipment date and it is under warranty, you must contact the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

So, buy a $1000 camera from a not so great third party and have it break after 30 days, you might be screwed.

I don't think I expressed the problem I am seeing with amazon clerly.  I don't have a problem with third party sellers.  I have a problem when amazon is degrading their rep with bad electronics sellers.  Most of these are shady NYC dealers who stay in business in the city because of mostly tourists.  They sell graymarket crap or they sell you a $1000 camera for $600 but there are no cables or accessoris in the package?  Need those?  Price jumps.  Just wish amazon would at least police their third party sellers better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top