Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2002 2:07:10 PM EDT
I picked up my Colt MT6400C today.   I am delightfully surprised at how tight the upper and lower fit.  Not only that, the fit and finish is excellent.   With the exception of the fixed stock and brake it looks like what it is supposed to be, a Colt M-4 Carbine.  I do not know what is going on at Colt, but this is one well-put together rifle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a nice rifle..posta pic sometime I'd like to see it and the brake they are using.. BTW what optics are you thinking of?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder how many 6400's Colt plans on making.  9div, check out the general firearms boards for all the 6400 pics.  I will more than likely buy one, because I think in the not to distant future this will be the next generation green label govt model.  I might be wrong, but I don't look for Colt to continue with the Match Target that much longer.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I will more than likely buy one, because I think in the not to distant future this will be the next generation green label govt model.  I might be wrong, but I don't look for Colt to continue with the Match Target that much longer.  
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  You will be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]

MT6400C M4 Comped 223 Rem 16" Matte 7.1 lbs-1 9rd MAG 1009.00

[url]http://www.lisc.net/p394.htm[/url]

Note:  that is the only model they dont have a picture of.....  [:(]

QCMGR...  did you pay this much?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

MT6400C M4 Comped 223 Rem 16" Matte 7.1 lbs-1 9rd MAG 1009.00

[url]http://www.lisc.net/p394.htm[/url]

Note:  that is the only model they dont have a picture of.....  [:(]

QCMGR...  did you pay this much?
View Quote

I think I paid a little less ($10 or so).  I was looking at my 6601 and 6724 (both post ban)and the 6400C is nicer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I won't be buying one simply because of Colt's attitude toward civilian shooters.  They make politically correct rifles which I have no use for.  Sear blocks, large pin parts, and the like aren't to my liking.  

I can understand thinking they might be the next great Colt investment, but my guns are tools and there is no room for safe queens in my collection.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I won't be buying one simply because of Colt's attitude toward civilian shooters.  They make politically correct rifles which I have no use for.  Sear blocks, large pin parts, and the like aren't to my liking.  

I can understand thinking they might be the next great Colt investment, but my guns are tools and there is no room for safe queens in my collection.

View Quote

What do you mean?  Mine is a shooter.  Why else would you buy a rifle if you are not going to shoot it.  As far as politically correct, it is the same as RRA and Bushmaster M forgeries except this is a Colt M-4.  For the record, please articulate Colts attitude.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A bit up there in the price dept. Sounds like a nice rifle though. Congrats. My next AR will most likely be a CavArms model....or an AK![}:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
$1009?

Hell I don't have much more than that in my preban M4gery!

Oh ya, but it doesn't say Colt.

Oh well!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt holds its fingers over its nose when it comes to civvie sales.

The "commercialized" ARs in their inventory suck too.

I live in CT and I refuse to purchase anything Colt. It is not the same company ol' Sam started in the 19th century. There is no link to Colt's Manufacturing and his company.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What do you mean?  Mine is a shooter.  Why else would you buy a rifle if you are not going to shoot it.  As far as politically correct, it is the same as RRA and Bushmaster M forgeries except this is a Colt M-4.  For the record, please articulate Colts attitude.
View Quote

Well, it's not really a "M4" is it ??  Really its an overpriced, sear blocked, large fire control pinned, ugly assed soda can of a muzzle braked post ban that they stamped "m4 carbine" in tiny little letters underneath the big old PC "MATCH TARGET" so as to get in on the lucrative "poser" postban M4gery market cuz they know the colt boys will eat em up cuz it says "m4 carbine" on it. I think thats what GodBlessTexas is referring to. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Compared to what?  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Compared to what?  
View Quote

Now, I haven't handled a Colt AR15 for about a year, but these are the differences I last noticed between it and my Armalite/Bushy collection:

1. Buttstock trapdoor is cheapo plastic kind like you'd see on a TV remote, not milspec like the other ARs.
2. The guard under the trigger is plastic, not aluminum milspec.
3. Sear block
4. Larger, non-conforming pivot-pin

Those are the differences I can think of off the top of my head right now. Feel free to add to the list.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
current production Colts have Aluminum trigger guards, No sear block, and standard push pins.

I don't know where you saw a colt with a plastic trigger guard.  Let alone any of the lesser manufacturers.

There's a kid on here (Lotboy) whose Dad has an older colt with the Block pinned in and large front pin, but that things an old slab side from the 80's.

Also, I can't see any difference in my bushy, armalite, colt trap doors.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well, it's not really a "M4" is it ??  Really its an overpriced, sear blocked, large fire control pinned, ugly assed soda can of a muzzle braked post ban that they stamped "m4 carbine" in tiny little letters underneath the big old PC "MATCH TARGET" so as to get in on the lucrative "poser" postban M4gery market cuz they know the colt boys will eat em up cuz it says "m4 carbine" on it. I think thats what GodBlessTexas is referring to. [:D]
View Quote

Your point?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
My first AR was a Colt (early-mid 90s, since sold it). It had a milspec trapdoor but the three other cheap features I mentioned. Shortly after I sold it (mid 90s), I began seeing the TV remote-battery trapdoors.

If what you say is true about them abandoning the stupid "Colt" features I listed, I am very slightly impressed. One small step in the right direction.

Part of my problem is I had a chance to buy (2) pre-ban Colt Sporters directly from the factory (through an ffl of course) for $750 each. The package included one hard case and two genuine 20 rounders per rifle. I passed. That was when they were known for excellent quality. I was but a green newbie and didn't know what I was being offered.

[i][b]DAMN![/i][/b]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
current production Colts have Aluminum trigger guards, No sear block, and standard push pins.
View Quote

Are you saying that all new Colts are coming with push pins and no sear block?

If so, that would be GREAT!!  Heck, it might even get me to buy another Colt.  [rolleyes]

I would really like to see Colt get back on board with civilian sales of AR15's.  Heck, if the Krime Bill isn't replaced, I'd expect them to start [b]calling[/b] them AR15's again.

Don't you dream of the day when you can get a NIB milspec Colt marked "AR15" will all the evil trimmings?  [I know what you Bushmaster guys are typing, "we have it already, but it's stamped 'Bushmaster.'"]  Oh yeah, and for $689, including 2 NIW 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My first AR was a Colt (early-mid 90s, since sold it). It had a milspec trapdoor but the three other cheap features I mentioned. Shortly after I sold it (mid 90s), I began seeing the TV remote-battery trapdoors.

If what you say is true about them abandoning the stupid "Colt" features I listed, I am very slightly impressed. One small step in the right direction.

Part of my problem is I had a chance to buy (2) pre-ban Colt Sporters directly from the factory (through an ffl of course) for $750 each. The package included one hard case and two genuine 20 rounders per rifle. I passed. That was when they were known for excellent quality. I was but a green newbie and didn't know what I was being offered.

[i][b]DAMN![/i][/b]
View Quote

What model #'s have these features?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What model #'s have these features?
View Quote

That's the $64,000 question, isn't it? I couldn't tell you as I don't have mine anymore (as posted) and didn't think to write serial #s down when looking at their products. Also as posted, about a year ago was the last time I bothered to look a a Colt AR.

I am happy with my Armalite and Bushmaster ARs. I wasn't with my Colt.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I was not going to buy a 6400C.  Over the last few years I have been under-whelmed by the Quality of the Colts I have seen.  After I saw a 6400C and had a chance to look it over I was impressed.   These are really put together nice.  I am not easily impressed.  I am a Sr. Quality Engineer and I usually see the flaws in everything made.  I agree the soda can could look better, but the fake M-4 stock is well executed.  The receiver fits together so well I thought it had a accu-wedge.  The grips do not rattle and the finish is perfect.  If you can; look at one in person and then make up your mind.  Part of the reason I bought it was because it is a Colt but the main reason is because it is well made.  If Colt is finally getting back into the gun business it could get interesting.  As it stands the fit and finish on this is as good or better than my ArmaLites.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't know where you saw a colt with a plastic trigger guard.  Let alone any of the lesser manufacturers.

There's a kid on here (Lotboy) whose Dad has an older colt with the Block pinned in and large front pin, but that things an old slab side from the 80's.

Also, I can't see any difference in my bushy, armalite, colt trap doors.
View Quote

Every new colt I have seen, including this new "m4" still have the sear block in the form of the webbing left unmachined behind the fire control group.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Um, no.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now, I haven't handled a Colt AR15 for about a year, but these are the differences I last noticed between it and my Armalite/Bushy collection:

1. Buttstock trapdoor is cheapo plastic kind like you'd see on a TV remote, not milspec like the other ARs.
2. The guard under the trigger is plastic, not aluminum milspec.
3. Sear block
4. Larger, non-conforming pivot-pin

Those are the differences I can think of off the top of my head right now. Feel free to add to the list.
View Quote

Hey Wobblin,

Better check your Bushy again, they are the ones that fit the plastic trigger guard to their AR's.

Secondly, Bushy's also incorporate a sear block, not as pronounced as the Colt, buy will not allow the fitting of a DIAS with removing some metal.

Thirdly, all current production Colts use a standard mil spec push pins.

Any more complaints??

-
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Pics and info in this thread from GFD: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127733[/url]

Eric
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Your point?
View Quote

If you don't get the point, then you didn't read the post.  Once again, it's a Politically Correct firearm because it has a SEAR block and larger than mil-spec pins for the fire control parts so it can't be converted into an evil machine gun, not even legally with a registered DIAS.  This is the compromise that Colt made to help divert flack away from them when the "assault weapons" started coming under fire in the 80's.  The reason it bothers me is because Colt chose to compromise instead of standing their ground.  I choose to not support companies that choose to compromise on their products, especially when it comes to firearms.

A Bushmaster doesn't have this problem at all, and I've shot a legally converted Bushmaster that was originally a post-ban before installation of the registered DIAS and mil-spec select fire fire control parts.

And as far as their feelings towards civilian shooters, AR-15 style rifles weren't even listed in most of their product literature and on-line in any form other than Law Enforcement models.  Only recently has that changed.

They're getting everyone hot and bothered by a rifle erroniously labelled with M4 on it.  If you want to buy it, that's fine.  The topic that you started was "Anyone else going to buy a Colt MT6400C?" to which I replied no and gave my reason why.  Colt hasn't given a crap about civilian shooters in a long time, and now they're trying to cash in on M4 fever.  It's a cheap ploy and I can certainly understand that some people think it's great.  But their sudden change of heart doesn't mean anything to me.

I want my AR-15's as mil-spec as is possible in a legally ownable civilian firearm and I want the manufacturer to care about my business as somoething more than their financial bottom line.  Colt fails on both accounts by my judgement.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I would really like to buy one, but with so many other things siphoning away my money right now I'm not sure I can swing it. Already having a bunch a Colt AR15s, including a pre-ban configured as an M4 carbine, makes it tough to justify buying a post-ban model, but I'd still like to show my support for Colt.

If the MT6400C is anything like my MT6731, it's damn near perfect and worth every penny.

Regarding Colt's "politically correct" "Match Target" name, what do you expect? Their "AR15" trademark had been explicitly banned in numerous state and national legislation. They [b]CAN'T[/b] use it anymore. Get it yet?

As far as the sear block or trigger pin sizes, I buy my AR15s as semi-automatic tools, at which my Colts all excel. If there is ever some cataclysmic event and TSHF, I ain't gonna be trying to stick the parts out of some M16 I found into one of my AR15s. I'll just use the M16 in it's entireity. Duh.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...It's a cheap ploy and I can certainly understand that some people think it's great.  But their sudden change of heart doesn't mean anything to me.
I want my AR-15's as mil-spec as is possible in a legally ownable civilian firearm and I want the manufacturer to care about my business as somoething more than their financial bottom line.  Colt fails on both accounts by my judgement.
View Quote

So what exactly is it you do not like about Colt?  

Non-interchangeability with Government rifles was a result of a commercial agreement from the beginning.  Uncle Sugar did not want G.I.'s stealing parts.  If you  do a web search you can find copies of the original contract stating same.  There a sound commercial reasons for not using the AR-15 roll stamp and blocking the receiver.  All of which do not detract from the fact it is a well put together piece. The bottom line is it is a great rifle.  We get the point, you do not like them but I cannot imagine the marketing blunders over the last few years was directed at you.  The 1984 C-4 Corvette was a POS, GM did not listen to their customers.  When they did they made the new C-5 and I bought one because I realize although GM is f-ck up, the Corvette is a world class car.  I am not going to deny myself a world class auto because GM screwed up in the 80's.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BTW what optics are you thinking of?
View Quote

Thinking Aimpoint CompM.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW what optics are you thinking of?
View Quote

Thinking Aimpoint CompM.
View Quote

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top