Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2003 4:47:48 AM EDT
I ordered 2 knives from Baysuppliers on Ebay on Nov. 30.  They never shipped them, no refund, and come to find out contact info. is bogus.  They sent me a tracking number from UPS showing that they reserved a tracking number electronically.  If you go to the detailed report it shows that that is it.  Never picked up, never checked in, Nothing!!

I disputed the charges with Paypal and they said since there was a tracking number that it shipped and it was on me.  Their detective skills are for sh**.

Also, Baysuppliers has been suspended from Ebay and I have contacted the police but so far I believe that I will have to chalk this one up to experience.

I will never use PayPal again!!  Learn from my mistake.

John
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard so many bad things about pay-pal I will never use it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used Paypal for 4-5 purchases and received a couple payments myself and never had any problems other then it working every time [:D]

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't deal with paypal. None of the safeguards of using a credit card. When I attempted to sign up, you had to use it like a debit system - so, they want to keep my money without interest, and still pretend that they're giving me credit?

[b]If you're running a business, pony up for the credit card hit or go home. [/b] If you're an individual - then I expect it to work just like buying something from the paper - cash, money order, or personal check.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The first time I used Pay Pal I had wanted to hurry and sell an item for I could buy something else before it got gone.  

I had a chance to buy a preban AR for a good price, the details are not important now.  But...the person was only going to hold it for me for two days.

Well I advertised another item for sale and I was in luck because I made a hit the same day.  I was selling an A3 McMillan stock at a real good price.

The Pay Pal transaction went through fine.  But I then found out it takes 3 to 5 business days before the money would be in my checking account.  (The seller of the preban was local and only wanted cash)

Well I lost the preban deal.  [furious]

Rambosky

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The only problem I had is when I won an auction for my M1.  I went to pay from Paypal, and did everything I could find to make sure the funds came from my CC, but they took the $ from my checking account, causing me to bounce half a dozen checks.  Fuggin pissed me off.  Now if I use it, I have become more familiar with where to change the funding source.  

Also, that 3-5 day wait to deposit $$ received into your account is BS.  They can TAKE it from my account immediately, so they should be able to DEPOSIT it immediately, too!

I think the concept is great, but have heard some horror stories...

I highly suggest paying/accepting payment for things using a USPS money order.  So if the other guy dicks around, it's mail tampering, or some shit like that that can get him in legal trouble.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#7]
UNBELIEVABLE!!!  I just got an email via Paypal confirming that money had been deposited.  The seller was refunding money for one knife and gave information that the other had shipped.  I checked and it actually did ship.

I also informed Paypal that I would dump them as soon as the money transferred to my bank account.  There is absolutely no safeguard in using their service. Remember Paypal said I had no grounds for my complaint. Hell, even Ebay will guarentee some of your money.  

What made the difference??  A fellow Ebayer sent me contact info for the local PD in the seller's hometown.  He called and they got scared.

A happy ending but my eyes are open now.  Paypal is great until you have a problem...... then you are on your own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Paypal and Ebay are bed buddies now.

Ebay canceled an auction of mine because I informed the [potential] buyer to add 3% to the final price if they wanted to use Paypal, to cover costs.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used PayPal for about 4 years without a problem. The one thing I dislike about PayPal is that they try to get you to become verified by providing them with your bank account information. There is no way I will give them or anyone else my bank account number and other information. They tell you that will give you an unlimited spending amount as opposed to the one thousand dollar limit on non verified members. When I got down to my thousand dollar limit somehow my limit got raised back up to one thousand dollars again. I am on my third one thousand limit now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I know people have had problems with the E-bay "Fraud-Insurance" that they offer. I have a fraud case with Gun Broker that I filed in May and have not heard anything from them yet. So much for the insurance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I ordered 2 knives from Baysuppliers on Ebay on Nov. 30.  They never shipped them, no refund, and come to find out contact info. is bogus.  They sent me a tracking number from UPS showing that they reserved a tracking number electronically.  If you go to the detailed report it shows that that is it.  Never picked up, never checked in, Nothing!!

I disputed the charges with Paypal and they said since there was a tracking number that it shipped and it was on me.  Their detective skills are for sh**.

Also, Baysuppliers has been suspended from Ebay and I have contacted the police but so far I believe that I will have to chalk this one up to experience.

I will never use PayPal again!!  Learn from my mistake.

John
View Quote

Pay-pal isn't the problem, you could have had that happen with any method of payment, including a money order. Point out to pay-pal that although there is a track #, the shipper never received the package, (this can be verified with the shipper). If you used a debit or credit card, perhaps get your bank involved too. Always remember, unless you are face to face, and the merchandise is on the table, there's always risk involved.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.paypalsucks.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
How many times do i have to say it.
Paypal sucks and is ANTI-GUN.
Tooooooo many alternatives to use Paypal.
GET RID OF THEM.
Eric the ammoman
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Isn't it safe if you used your credit card through paypal to pay?  It would seem that if one got swindled then the charge on the credit card could be disputed.

I know they require using your "balance" first so I keep it at zero.

Anyone have experience with this strategy?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isn't it safe if you used your credit card through paypal to pay?  It would seem that if one got swindled then the charge on the credit card could be disputed.

I know they require using your "balance" first so I keep it at zero.

Anyone have experience with this strategy?
View Quote

'Safe' debatable...

'Safer' probably, depends on your CC policy. PP is far from friendly.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I think if you use paypal as a bank account, that's where you come into issue's. If you use it to TRANSFER funds you should be OK.

Paypal sucks cause THEY are the jury, judge, and exacutioner. That and Ebay made them bigger then they need to be.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered a Playstation 2 game from an internet company, and payed $28.15 by PayPal.

The company sends me a music CD.  I go back to their website to tell them, and NO voice telephone number, just a fax.

I fax three days in a row about the problem, and no reply.  I e-mailed too, and their mailbox is full.  THEN, the PS2 game has an updated price on their website of $62!  After the third day/try, I'm PISSED and lodge a complaint through PayPal.

PayPal was on their A*S and TOOK what they could from the seller's account.  I receive a [u]very[/u] quick response from the seller that he doesn't know what the problem is, and that he can't just send me what I ordered since they don't have anymore.  I know now he's FULL OF SH*T because it's still on his website, with a $40 price increase!  At this time, I'm PISSED!!  [PISSED]

Didn't matter what he said though, because PayPal FROZE his account until he paid up, and I got my money back.  [;)]

I've got no problems with PayPal.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#20]
No - if you use your credit card to pay PayPal, you're still screwed to the same degree as if you gave cash to Paypal.

The issue here is that the transaction which the credit card was used for was to pay PayPal. PayPal held up their end of the bargain - all they ever promised to do was give it to someone else. Same for using the credit card directly on Ebay payments - they're an intermediary, and you pretty much lose chargeback rights when dealing with an intermediary.

Clark Howard deals with this from time to time on his radio show.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a major ebay user, but have utilized paypal a few times.  Never any trouble.  Typically small amounts, don't think I've ever spent more than $25 or $30.  Actually prefer using paypal to waiting two weeks for a check or going to the credit union for a m.o.  Alsom makes international transactions much easier.

In fact I typically avoid sellers who don't use paypal unless its something I really want or its really cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I got burned outta about $260.00 by using paypal.  What happens is people will jack other people's account and use them.  Than when the account owner see funds missing, they retract payment and your screwed.  thier seller protection is a joke.  Will never use them again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Ran $16,000 this month through their interface.  No problem whatsoever.  Buying or selling or transferring cash in, or transferring cash out.

Some people would have no luck, if it weren't all bad.

Sorry to hear your stories.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How many times do i have to say it.
Paypal sucks and is ANTI-GUN.
Tooooooo many alternatives to use Paypal.
GET RID OF THEM.
Eric the ammoman
View Quote

Eric:

With all due respect, which is a sincere statment....

VISA and MasterCard are likely anti-gun too.  You'll see them sponsor these PSA's from time to time about guns.  That won't stop many gun consumers from using them.

Ed

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#25]
2 words = FUCK PAYPAL!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top