Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2001 5:54:15 AM EDT
I just checked my webserver logs, and it's like 90% of my traffic.  It's beginning to really piss me off that SO many people have webservers running and don't know how to properly patch their computers.  The more I check the servers, the more I realize that most of these people probably don't even know that they have IIS running.

Please, everyone, if you're running Windows 2000 (I don't care if you have IIS installed or not), download the patch at: [url]http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=32011[/url] and reboot your computer.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Code Red? The new red Mountain Dew? Yeah that's some mean stuff. I love it. Hard to drive by a store without picking up a case.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahahahahahahahahaha....

Seriously, please, do it for the children.  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Now at the bar you say ill take a code red "7"!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Code Red doesn't damage any system files or cause failures, although it is possible that another virus could have.

Code Red, once it installs itself on your server, will actively search the internet for other computers running IIS 4.0 or IIS 5.0 (Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 web server software).  When it find it, it installs itself and then begins to replicate from there.  It continues to do this until the 19th of the month, and from that point until the first of the next month it does its best to do a distributed denial of service attack on the IP addresses used by the White House.

Rebooting will eliminate the virus.  Installing the patch will prevent it from reinfecting your computer.  Pretty simple really.

An ounce of prevention...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top