Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 4:31:15 PM EDT
I am far from living in a high-rise in downtown manhattan, however I live about 1 mile from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and I have to say I love it.  I live in a duplex, across from a park (which has it's ups and downs, but for the most part it's ups), 2 miles from the beach.  I am surrounded by places to eat, things to do, bars to drink at, and two highways are within 3 miles of my house so I can quickly get anwywhere I want to be.
Hot chicks everywhere, jogging, riding bicycles, and during the spring break months they are drunk & hanging out at the beach wearing almost nothing.

I visited Chicago a while back, and if it wasn't for the weather and the shitty gunlaws I'd live there in a heartbeat.  It was everything my current place is (minus the beach) but more so.  I'm looking around the South now for a place that might be a warmer alternative, but with owning the Harley it's hard to beat South Florida.

Now I understand things would be different if I was married with kids.  Evidently the public schools that are zoned for this area are a nighmare, complete with annual "bash the white kids" days.  But I don't have kids (unless you count the dog) and I damn sure ain't married.

So, anyone else live in a congested or crowded area & love it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
i used to live on the east side of milwaukee and hated it
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't much like the city.  Aside from the fact I can go almost anywhere and see a womenz whom I would love to jump her bones right there, the city sucks.
Too much traffic, too many overly noisy neighbors, too many fart-can-equipped Ricers with speakers approaching the level of rolling acoustic nonlethal weapons, too many wusses, too many people who don't have the first clue about properly parking a vehicle, too much traffic.  
Traffic lights.  I HATE traffic lights.  Traffic too.
I want to step off my back porch shoulder my rifle and squeeze the trigger until I get bored and go back inside.  In the city the responding SWAT team would shoot you down.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
NYC is about 30 mins away from me and I go there once or twice a month for misc reasons.  All I can say is I absolutly hate it.  The people are dicks with their "only in new york" attitude, driving theres a bitch and it smells funny.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I live dead in the middle of Nashville. Yes, it does have good points but I'm really wanting to live where I can shoot in my backyard. I miss La.
Some aspects of Nashville don't seem very "southern" to me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess for me it's maybe just something new, but it's fun as hell right now.
I grew up in Tallahassee, which is a relatively small and VERY southern town.  Went to school in Gainesville, and even smaller, but more liberal, town.  Moving down here was major culture shock (including the language) and I hated it at first.  But that was because I lived in a shitty section with the old folks & welfare cases.  The area I'm in now has been "gentrified", but my little duplex has still snuck in.  I couldn't afford to buy in this area if I wanted to, but for now I can afford to rent & have a great time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]

All I need is a DSL connection, some water and electricity, oh, and a stockpile of money!

Eric The(Rustic)Hunhr

rgr that
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF is with the "bash the white kids day"?  Why don't the white kids form groups and kick the shit out of hte POSs?

I like the country just fine.  Cities suck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Los Angeles. Any questions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate living in the country...

Living in the city is ok...

Small towns are the best. Little cities like under 15k.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WTF is with the "bash the white kids day"?  Why don't the white kids form groups and kick the shit out of hte POSs?

Huh? You get more shit from wiggers than the real black kids most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Grew up in NYC, currently living in Miami. HATE them both.

Can't wait to GTF outta here and go out west where you can actually look up and see the sky without having to worry about some insane foreigner who doesn't speak the language and can't drive running you over.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've lived in a big city.

I much prefer living in the country. Nothing beats having your own shooting range right out your back door!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never lived more than 3 hours from a major city. Buffalo, Chicago, Philly, NY, Mobile (It is a city and I did like it there).

Give me a nice rustic home in the woods any day of the week. If I want to be in a city, that's why I have a car and friends who like to live in them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh? You get more shit from wiggers than the real black kids most of the time.

Deersniper, they would, but then everyone would make them out to be nazis and they would get raped by by the cops.

ZRH, just throw a mirror at them and tell them to look at what there real color is.  So far most have given me either blank stares or just left without saying anything.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#17]
You can keep your city.  
I shoot off the back porch.  I ride my horses when I want to.  The dogs (4) don't have to be walked on a leash, they run loose.  The neighbors, what few there are, are real friendly.  We don't have to lock the doors.  I got a garden (legal stuff).  I hunt in the back yard.  
Now the down side.  What restaurants?  Your own cooking will have to suffice.  There are no bars.  Drinking on the front porch will have to do.  Police protection/hassle is nonexistent. What more can I say.  You can have it.        
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]
City life is great when you're young and more open to the liberalism that comes with it. As you get older, the things that add "character" to city life start to bother you. Lack of parking, crowds, constant displays of questionable morality, the homeless, addicts, etc.

I never lived in the city myself, but my brother had a flat in San Francisco for a few years because of his job, and we had some great times there.

However, today, 20 years later, I would never live there. But the memories are good!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Post from MartyA -

Yes, it does have good points but I'm really wanting to live where I can shoot in my backyard. I miss La.

Whereabouts in Louisiana did you live, Son?

I am basically a Shreveporter, but I loved living in the country in southern Caddo Parish!

I know you miss the food, don't you, boy?

Eric The(OldTimesThereAreNotForgotten)Hunhr

Baton Rouge.

Don't get me started.
I've been in the restaurant business for way way way too long.
                                              I miss the food more than my parents.

I love guns, but if I had a choice, I'd rather the food I can prepare.
Believe it or not, I'm a bad mofo that can cook too!

My SHTF ammo is being able to cook. The barter system.
Hell, the guys from the midwest will eat better after the SHTF if they end up near me. Poor bastards.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
freedom is pissing off your front porch and nobody giving a shit or knowing any different...........don't ask why, it just is
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
No.

Austin is a wonderful city.

But I much prefer the rural/small town life.  Just like ETH said, high speed internet access, running water, and electricity is all the luxury I really want.  A nice big pile of money would be very nice, but having just enough to keep the taxman happy, the utilities on, and food on the table is all I would really need.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I lived in downtown Cincinnati briefly and really enjoyed that.  Otherwise, I'm a suburbanite.  But I dream of being a blue collar hick.  So 3 minutes after my house sells (any minute now, I hope), I'm gonna build a new one out on the farm and put up an 8,000+ square foot workshop.  The roads, water well, septic tank, phone lines, power lines, barns, livestock pens and a stocked pond are already in place.  The only other thing I need is a high speed internet connection, so after I build the radio tower, I'll be able to establish a microwave link with my office downtown.  I'm working on the terrain survey for that now.  Green Acres is the place for me.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I love living in the city.

I lived in Downtown Seattle and it was pretty cool. The only problem is that everything is expensive (Food, parking, and rent), however, everything is at your door. The other downside is that the Seattle police are so bad that _wanted felons_ hung out down the street and they drank and fought in public all the time, so you packed a gun all the time.
The upside was that I lived 15 minutes walking distance from work so I did not need a car. I could drink with friends and walk home in 5 or 10 minutes. Entertainment was always cheap because of all the free/cheap art stuff (Plays, shows) in Downtown Seattle (Yes, as Man and a hardcore gun owner, I like that crap).

On the other hand, my brother use to live Valley Center in San Diego and it was the "sticks". I use to like visting him; people were friendly, the local cheap bar was cool and there was a gun range down the road. So I think I could get use to that, however, it took 45 minutes to get anywhere!

If I had my choice now, I would live and work in Downtown San Diego. I could park my car, drive it on the weekends, and walk everywhere else. You can get some decent places for $700 and a lot of new condos are coming on the market that are right on the bay. All the best bars, clubs and entertainment are in Downtown San Diego.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#25]
It is grand!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am far from living in a high-rise in downtown manhattan, however I live about 1 mile from downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and I have to say I love it.  I live in a duplex, across from a park (which has it's ups and downs, but for the most part it's ups), 2 miles from the beach.  I am surrounded by places to eat, things to do, bars to drink at, and two highways are within 3 miles of my house so I can quickly get anwywhere I want to be.
Hot chicks everywhere, jogging, riding bicycles, and during the spring break months they are drunk & hanging out at the beach wearing almost nothing.

I visited Chicago a while back, and if it wasn't for the weather and the shitty gunlaws I'd live there in a heartbeat.  It was everything my current place is (minus the beach) but more so.  I'm looking around the South now for a place that might be a warmer alternative, but with owning the Harley it's hard to beat South Florida.

Now I understand things would be different if I was married with kids.  Evidently the public schools that are zoned for this area are a nighmare, complete with annual "bash the white kids" days.  But I don't have kids (unless you count the dog) and I damn sure ain't married.

So, anyone else live in a congested or crowded area & love it?

So where do you shoot?

Actually, there's 3 IDPA shoots a month within an hour of me.  Two of them are within 30 minutes.  I haven't been able to find anyplace else that has as many.  There's also IPSC and CAS and steel plate (bullseye?  can't remember what it's called) at least once a month.  About the only thing I'm missing is a place to "plink", but with so many organized action shoots I really don't have the time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#27]
MR_MULLEN, I like San Diego too! Been there twice this year cause Jr is in the Navy and stationed there. He lives in Chula Vista. Anyway, my daughter an I have spent almost a month there it's alot of fun. I live out aways in CT in town with about 20k people. Houses are far apart so no neighbor troubles. BobK
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#29]
The urban scene is okay when you're younger or in college what with lots of different things going on and all.  I'm older now and like living in a small town very much.  I commute into center city Philadelphia on I-95 every day from 35 miles away.  I don't like the city, but I do like my job and the institution I work for very much.  At home, my local gun club is only 4.5 miles from my house and I've got another indoor range approx. 12 miles away.  I also like to handload ammuntion, ride my mountain bike, work on my house and sometimes read or build model kits.  The city really doesn't offer anything to someone like me, at least not entertainmentwise.   There are more single women in the city, but I don't have anything in common with them, so why should I care about 'em?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I was born and raised in Chicago (south side). Chicago can't be beat when it comes to the bar/live music scene (I'm a musician)and the cool food options there are second to none, but living there sucked. Being a kid you had to drive to find open space to play. Growing up during the race riots really sucked as well.

I moved to Phoenix in '89 and I really liked it there. People have been overloading it for a few years now so to find some open space you really need to look out around Apache Junction to get land at a reasonable price.

I was offered a job in Stillwater, OK this year and I took it. Small town (with big college), cheap real estate, etc. Forget big famous eateries (and great pizza), but I love living rural.

Have an opportunity to pick up 10 acres with home for a REALLY cheap price in January. I'm all over it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#31]
i've got to root for cities here.  i thrive on grit, and life is too short to be safe, comfortable, and bored.  give me shootings and sirens any day of the week.

god bless the concrete and chaos it keeps
         - lars fredrickson and the bastards
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I love living in a city.

I love the outdoors, but I like good night life more. I can always drive to the country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top