Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:04:12 AM EDT
I just found out that my guard unit is being deployed to Kosovo in early 2004 for about a 6 month rotation.  They haven’t really told us anything yet about which camp we will be at, or exactly what we will be doing.  I’m in an infantry battalion, so I don’t know if that would make a difference in where we'll be or not.  

So if anyone has been over there, I’d be interested to hear what it was like, what you did, how dangerous it was, what are the facilities like, etc.  If you have any links to sites from people who have been there, or describing what I should expect that would be great too.

Also would like to know what to expect for pay.  I will be an E-4, possibly E-5 when I go over with 4 years in.  I know I will get separation pay for being married, and should get BAH1 based on where I live, but what else is there?  Do you get hazardous duty, or anything else added on?

Edited to correct spelling errors...

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You get family separation, hostile fire pay, and all of your pay is tax free.  I don't know how they do it for the Guard, but we get to keep our separate rations and BAH.  Makes it a bit easier.  I am leaving for Kosovo on Wednesday, so if you have any questions I should be able to answer them when I get there. It sounds like you guys are replacing my rotation.  Talk to you soon.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll get fam sep pay, haz pay, tax free, little per diem.  If it's winter - bring your flannel underware, summer - drink lots of water.

I liked it over there - but then again I am a field rat and love to deploy.

Enjoy.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
dont get your hopes up til you have orders in hand.  I was supposed to be in guantanamo bay cuba since march and that never happened.  They decided to leave the other battalion and a half from our brigade there for an additional 7 months
View Quote

I doubt that will happen, besides I'm not that lucky!  I don't want to go, but don't really have a choice, so I'm just starting to get prepared.  Like you said, things can change but it sounds like we will have orders in hand within a month...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.tffalcon.hqusareur.army.mil/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top