Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
2 days ago my sister and I got rear ended, not to much damage to the car but both of us are hurting.  I saw it coming and tensed up so strained pretty much every muscle in my neck.  The other driver was totally at fault, she was cited, and she had Allstate insurance.  I know we get our medical bills and lost wages paid, my question is, how is Allstate about the pain money?   I've had different people tell us different things and usually on here if you ask a question, you can get about half the truth which is more than I expect out of then general population.  We're not trying to get a big fat check or anything but something would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No one ever?  yOu bastards!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife has.
We were insured by Allstate for some 12+ years.
My wife was stopped at a stop light behind approximately 10 other cars.
Guy failed to even slow down....rear-ended my wife sending her car into the one in front of it.
He had no licence, no insurance, and it was a borrowed car.
Allstate wouldn't even cover the pay-off on our car. [just purchased  used two months earlier].
I ended up paying off a car that had been totaled.

btw...the guy was never charged for the accident.
We dropped Allstate..and got better rates and coverage elsewhere.

eta.....Allstate did pay for the injuries to my step-mother who was in my wifes car with her....just barely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I got sued for an accident while I had Allstate. They offered to settle for $6k (the cost of the lawyer if it had to go to trial).

(The dirtbags that sued me got some scheister lawyer, a scheister doctor, ran up $12k in medical bills for a cut finger, and sued for $100k each. A jury of their peers awarded them $6k, leaving them $6k in debt for their medical bills, plus attorney fees.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wife has.
Guy failed to even slow down....rear-ended my wife sending her car into the one in front of it.
Allstate wouldn't even cover the pay-off on our car. [just purchased  used two months earlier].

eta.....Allstate did pay for the injuries to my step-mother who was in my wifes car with her....just barely.

I guess she did not have uninsured motorist insurance?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
This chick had All State.  Not that bad of a wreck but my sister and I were both treated for whiplash.  That shit hurts.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I got broadsided by an Allstate insured.  The idiot came from a long private drive at 40+ miles an hour and picked me out of a line of cars on the state highway.  I have never felt so helpless as when I get shoved sideways into oncoming traffic with a broken steering box giving me a dead and useless wheel.  Fortunately I ended up on the lawn of the local fire department and didn't get into a headon collision.

Allstate was very good.   Paid for my truck in 3 days (more than it was worth on the open market).  Paid for the towing to a facility of my choosing.  Paid for the rental while I shopped for another truck.  

I ended up switching to Allstate from Nationwide.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just be glad they didnt have Farmers Insurance.... I got hammered by a 16yr. old girlwhile she was blabbing on her cell phone...

What a fucking nightmare... Not the wreck... Farmers Insurance....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So you want some money for your suffering?   You do realize it is called an "accident", as in "not on purpose"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a lawyer...not now, but a week ago.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So you want some money for your suffering?   You do realize it is called an "accident", as in "not on purpose"

I realize if your traveling along a road you need to pay attention to cars in front of you, she didn't and she tried to ram her olds up my sister's kia's ass.  That's not an accident, thats being an irresponsible driver and me having to miss work and spend time in the damn hospitial when I could be having a better time cutting my toenails or getting laid.  Instead I was laid up in the hospitial and have to be either be drowsy and drunk from these pain meds, or I get to hurt so bad I can't really see straight.  Yeah a little money would be nice.  It wasn't an accident, it was her not paying attention.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize if your traveling along a road you need to pay attention to cars in front of you, she didn't and she tried to ram her olds up my sister's kia's ass.  That's not an accident, thats being an irresponsible driver and me having to miss work and spend time in the damn hospitial when I could be having a better time cutting my toenails or getting laid.  Instead I was laid up in the hospitial and have to be either be drowsy and drunk from these pain meds, or I get to hurt so bad I can't really see straight.  Yeah a little money would be nice.  It wasn't an accident, it was her not paying attention.

+1

Accidents are one thing, negligence is another.

What is that thing most here on the board say about "accidental" discharges?  Case rested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My sister in law was insured by Allstate as was the car that hit her. They ended up paying for damage to the car only. Her permanent neck damage is her problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Accidents are one thing, negligence is another.

What is that thing most here on the board say about "accidental" discharges?  Case rested.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my response.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Grab your phone book.  If the PI attorneys don't have their ad on the cover, check the yellow pages.  Usually a free initial visit.  While I'm against frivolous law suits, you should know your rights.  Insurance companies have been know to lie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My wife has.

I guess she did not have uninsured motorist insurance?

We have always carried 100%+ coverage.....and we asked our agent if we needed anything more....he told we were better than fully covered....yes, we had uninsured protection.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Had Allstate now for 18+ years on our personal vehicles. I bought a new truck in 2000 and got hit twice in 3 weeks while standing still at
A.) A stop sign.
B.) A stop light.
B. happened 7 days after I got truck back from A.
Allstate was excellent, and always has been.
I even got my deductibles back both times with no more than them doing the foot work, though MET-F%$#*&-LIFE took a year to accept that their client had lied to them, but finally paid up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Also, a lot depends on your State law.  If you are a no-fault state, it changes things.  You will get nothing for pain and suffering until the medical bills are huge.  It will occur in stages:  first, up to the amount on YOUR policy for actual medical expense; then, the other company's policy, and then you can sue personally.

I know because I got hit in the rear at a red light last Spring.  Naturally, I did the inquiries.  No, I had no intention of being a profiteer or wise guy.  But, my car was only 8 months old.  We all know I'd take a big hit on the depreciation.  The classic means to avoid being (financially) upside-down was to sue, or at least have the credible threat of suing, for injuries to get enough just to cover the car.  But, we're no-fault so that could go nowhere and I was out $10,000. or a bit more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Screw ALLSTATE .  I was involved in a hit and run accident and my vehicle had $2800 in damages . ALLSTATE paid for my claim then promptly upped my premium to cover it .  I'm with
PROGRESSIVE now . Cheaper and easier to deal with . Off the point but I just wanted to bitch .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I was rear-ended on I-5 a few years back.

Fairly serious collision: I was stopped in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and hit by a GMC pick up truck traveling approx 35-40 mph.

Missed a few days work - went to chiropractor / massage therapist ( hot little red head ) for the better part of 9 months.

Ended up getting my rig fixed ( about $5K damage ) all my medical bills paid ( approx $10K ) and I think around $6-7K in my pocket for all the pain / suffering.

Both drivers ( me & him ) had Farmers Ins.

Most insurance companies try to bully you around. Know your rights and fight your fight by being nice / playing hardball w/ them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I know someone insured by Allstate preparing for litigation right now. BOTH drivers were insured through Allstate. The accident was wholly the other driver's fault. She was on the right in an open intersection and was hit in the rear quarter. Additionally, the other party, an elderly man, has admitted fault.

Allstate has offered to pay for repair of her car and 1/2 of her medical bills and nothing for pain and suffering or lost wages.

Needless to say, that is unacceptable. I should concede, at this point, that most insurers are notoriously bad at paying legitimate claims without litigation or at least the threat of litigation.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#21]
does me going in the ditch and having allstate count?
no pain payments involved, and their adjuster actually came out a few dollars over the estimate the dealership gave me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top