Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 10:45:37 AM EDT
I took welding in H.S. and do weld occasionaly for my job, but I have a possible job as a welder as a fulltime job.
It would be in a factory (major farm and tractor equipment manufacturer) doing assembly line welding.
Does anyone have experience with this ?
What's the pay like ?, working conditions, how tough is it on you physically ?
Basically, is this something worth looking in to ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
All the welders on my job say to stay away from it, for whatever that's worth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the above...

If you want to make a career out of your weldng skills, I'd suggest looking for work in a fab shop or in a big industrial plant.

If you have any mechanical skills, you will be better off looking into a career as an industrial maintenance mechanic.
The job is different every day.
Sometimes good sometimes bad, but always changing...

If you take a job on an assembly line welding parts together, you wil be stuck there 8hrs or more a day = BORING.

Generally speaking, Maintenance Mechanics are the best paid people in the plant.

Entry level should be $12hr min.
$14-$22hr is average for a seasoned mechanic or electrician.
$26hr is fairly common for a supervisor...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Although I am not a welder, my father was for 40 years. It is a very tough job. I remember growing up he had got metal in his eyes at least a half dozen times, his clothes would be burnt all to hell, and some guy dropped a ten foot long pipe on his knee from about ten feet. In addition the pay was not that great, about 35k his last year before retirement in 2001. This was in southcentral PA. I don't know about a factory job, but it seems like it could be monotonous. At least my father went to different job sites.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If I was young I would go to school to become  a robotics and laser maintenance technician.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top