Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So what do you call it when people on the right do exactly the same thing? Like half of GD posts are just a circklejerk of people parroting pundits on the right. It is practically impossible to have a reasonable rational conversation here any more. If you don't fall in line with the horde and regurgitate the slogans of the group you get ruthlessly mocked or dismissed. "Sorry your girl lost." Nuance has been eliminated. Then there are the almost daily posts from people asking how they should think about something or how to argue against a specific subject. People absolutely worship at the alter of progressivism but pretty much all of Arfcom worships at the alter of conservatism and/or 2A absolutism.
View Quote
I would call it something else, because the phrase "virtue signalling" is specifically injurious to the left, and I wouldn't want to take the sting out of that phrase, like was done with the "politically correct" example I noted above.

Given that the left is my enemy, a generic application of the term, like say applying it to the right, diminishes the effect the term has in injuring the left and leftists.

If I doubted someone's sincerity on a particular issue and they were on my side, I'd say something to that effect.

I'd avoid pejoratives for people on my side, however, because in a war it's rarely productive to shoot at your own troops.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you meet assholes all day....
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Virtue signaling is as it sounds - a show of support for whatever cause you desire.

It’s generally used as an insult, because the signaling generally doesn’t DO anything to advance the cause.

Examples:

- Facebook profile pic frames after terrorism/hate/other tragedies

- Being an NRA member, without donating to the ILA or PVF.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In its purest form, the term denotes the act of pretending to care about a cause—and making a display of it—in order to attain improved social standing, despite not actually caring about the cause one is pretending to care about.

So if it’s obvious that a person clearly doesn’t care about the cause they say they care about then the charge of virtue signaling can be appropriately leveled. The term is overused but it is still more than useful in today’s social climate.
View Quote
When done on an elevated level, i.e. climate change, it's done to gain improved social standing of what is being promoted, not the promoter. even though, in all likelihood, it will benefit them immeasurably. In some way. It can be done for other reasons besides inflating one's own standing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You realize you agree with what I'm saying right? That's NOT virtue signalling, but you will be called a virtue signaller here nonetheless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just see the "Virtue Signaling" insult as just another insult that can be applied to ANY political/cultural movement you disagree with.

I would love to see some clear definitions of "Virtue Signaling" and not simply: "Any type of public moral/ethical opinion that I find disagreeable."
You're right though, that's what it's become. On arfcom you can think homosexuality is wrong, and that's fine. But if you think gays should be able to marry you're a virtue signaller. Period. As for the true definition I'm sure someone beat me to it, but it common usage it's become overused by the same clowns who think calling people a snowflake, a cuck, or a white knight is the height of witty banter.
That's bullshit.  Having or expressing a contrary opinion doesn't make you a virtue signaller.  Expressing that opinion from a safe place of support does.  Being pro-gay rights isn't brave on AR-15.com or in the United States.  It's brave in Afghanistan or Iran.  But virtue signallers won't take on any personal risk.
You realize you agree with what I'm saying right? That's NOT virtue signalling, but you will be called a virtue signaller here nonetheless.
Some people will misuse terms, even on here.

Context is important also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just see the "Virtue Signaling" insult as just another insult that can be applied to ANY political/cultural movement you disagree with.

I would love to see some clear definitions of "Virtue Signaling" and not simply: "Any type of public moral/ethical opinion that I find disagreeable."
You're right though, that's what it's become. On arfcom you can think homosexuality is wrong, and that's fine. But if you think gays should be able to marry you're a virtue signaller. Period. As for the true definition I'm sure someone beat me to it, but it common usage it's become overused by the same clowns who think calling people a snowflake, a cuck, or a white knight is the height of witty banter.
That's bullshit.  Having or expressing a contrary opinion doesn't make you a virtue signaller.  Expressing that opinion from a safe place of support does.  Being pro-gay rights isn't brave on AR-15.com or in the United States.  It's brave in Afghanistan or Iran.  But virtue signallers won't take on any personal risk.

Right, that's my point. On arfcom if you disagree with "the hive" you get one of the labels I mentioned garnished with a "sorry your girl lost" quip.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Virtue Signaling, for instance when they light the white house up blue or like a rainbow
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what do you call it when people on the right do exactly the same thing? Like half of GD posts are just a circklejerk of people parroting pundits on the right. It is practically impossible to have a reasonable rational conversation here any more. If you don't fall in line with the horde and regurgitate the slogans of the group you get ruthlessly mocked or dismissed. "Sorry your girl lost." Nuance has been eliminated. Then there are the almost daily posts from people asking how they should think about something or how to argue against a specific subject. People absolutely worship at the alter of progressivism but pretty much all of Arfcom worships at the alter of conservatism and/or 2A absolutism.
View Quote
Most of GD is joking and diversion. If you're taking it seriously you need a perspective check.

I'm guessing you haven't had the displeasure of working with a true libtard virtue signaler, correct? They are the killers of all enjoyment. For example, a real conversation.

Subject is liveleak videos, everyone's joking and having a good time.
Me: oh man, did you see the video of Abu Hajar? Where ISIS is attacking and Abu Hajar is just fucking everything up?
Normal guy: I haven't, what happened?
Virtue Signaler: [tone of contempt], No, I don't take a sick pleasure in watching videos of death and destruction!

So you see what the VS is doing. He pretends that I'm taking pleasure in watching death (he has no evidence of this, hasn't even seen the video), he assumes that the moral high ground is to mock that straw man, and he immediately goes for it.

This is the kind of behavior you get when society decided you'd lose your job and get a criminal record for slapping a douchebag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would call it something else, because the phrase "virtue signalling" is specifically injurious to the left, and I wouldn't want to take the sting out of that phrase, like was done with the "politically correct" example I noted above.

Given that the left is my enemy, a generic application of the term, like say applying it to the right, diminishes the effect the term has in injuring the left and leftists.

If I doubted someone's sincerity on a particular issue and they were on my side, I'd say something to that effect.

I'd avoid pejoratives for people on my side, however, because in a war it's rarely productive to shoot at your own troops.
View Quote
Your VS post is seven posts down on the first page, you got in early.....When I think of virtue signaling yours is a perfect example.....Look at me, I'm edgy.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Official-2018-NFL-thread-/5-2097114/

Even though the OP started the thread for the benefit of NFL fans the virtue signalers just could not resist their tired FTNFL signaling.....just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That was after the effort began to co opt the term. It had been in use for years prior to that and had an exclusive connotation as something that went against liberal sensibilities.

Watch the movie PCU from 1994.  It was a satire of politically correct culture on college campus.  That was grounded in the original understanding of the term, before it became boilerplate for something that offends anyone. It was a term used to desribe opinions or traditions that were counter to leftist sensibilities.

By making it generic boilerplate, the term lost its specific effectiveness against the left.

All terms that are specifically effective against the left either become generic boilerplate or if that cannot be achieved, are characterized as "code words" or "dogwhistles" (as noted by someone above).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the basis of Political Correctness now. before it was more of a statement to play fairly at the time
(or what they considered fairness- which was not rationally arguing the points because sexism and racism). But now? It's a callout of the 'virtuous' to the 'irredeemable'. the worthy judging and casting stones at the unworthy. A damnation and insistence of repentance by only those qualified to judge.

Politically incorrect was a bragging point for the Left at one time (Bill Maher). Then the worm turned. The left defines both.
That was after the effort began to co opt the term. It had been in use for years prior to that and had an exclusive connotation as something that went against liberal sensibilities.

Watch the movie PCU from 1994.  It was a satire of politically correct culture on college campus.  That was grounded in the original understanding of the term, before it became boilerplate for something that offends anyone. It was a term used to desribe opinions or traditions that were counter to leftist sensibilities.

By making it generic boilerplate, the term lost its specific effectiveness against the left.

All terms that are specifically effective against the left either become generic boilerplate or if that cannot be achieved, are characterized as "code words" or "dogwhistles" (as noted by someone above).
Wouldn't argue against your POV. It's from the correct side of the argument. Mine was from the Left side of the argument to show the hypocrisy. It was a special pleading that the Right unfortunately conceded.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nothing you mentioned is "exactly the same thing".

"Parroting pundits" isn't virtue signaling. "Sorry your girl lost" is a retort to NeverTrump garbage.

Asking for help arguing something isn't virtue signaling. Hell, it signals lack or knowledge/debate skills.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My understanding, in a nutshell is:
When someone begins an argument by telling you that they are both informed on an issue and a good person then tell the person their arguing with their opinion is racist, homophobic, etc.

They are virtuous so if you disagree you are a lesser person. This applies to a leftist arguing non leftists.

Leftist vs leftist they are both virtuous but one is more so because they have more victim status or are multiple victim statuses. A black, gay Muslim woman is going to be more right by virtue than a leftist white strait man.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
PC was an invention of the left defining what the proper left wing beliefs were.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Signaling one's virtue, aka taking actions to show others how good of a person you are.

Typically it's done to show how "progressive" you are, aka talking about the "plight of 'people of color'" by wearing a patch or tshirt that conveys such a message.

White people with white guilt will virtue signal about anti-whiteness.  They want to make sure everyone knows what a good liberal they are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Virtue signaling is basically broadcasting a non controversial opinion or statement that simultaneously attacks a group of people with an implied strawman fallacy.

A perfect example are those dumb blue signs people put in their yard that says "Hate has no home here".  The person that put that there didn't do it because he wants people to know he isn't a hateful person.  He did it to imply that the people that he disagrees with are the hateful people.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Virtue signaling is as it sounds - a show of support for whatever cause you desire.
View Quote
No, that's not it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're right though, that's what it's become. On arfcom you can think homosexuality is wrong, and that's fine. But if you think gays should be able to marry you're a virtue signaller. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're right though, that's what it's become. On arfcom you can think homosexuality is wrong, and that's fine. But if you think gays should be able to marry you're a virtue signaller. Period.
Bullshit. No one cares what your opinion of gays is.

Quoted:
As for the true definition I'm sure someone beat me to it, but it common usage it's become overused by the same clowns who think calling people a snowflake, a cuck, or a white knight is the height of witty banter.
I thought cuck was an awful term, but NeverTrump convinced me how wrong I was.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those calling virtue signaling tribe identification are totally off. Virtue signaling is low or no effort "look at me I am good", often extending only to the "correct" thought and not action.

For example you put up a sign in your front yard saying you are against all racism.  Not so against it you live in a neighborhood with any black people... but like you are totally a good person.

It's not tribal identification
View Quote
But it also is tribal identification. The "look at me I'm good" is selected to appeal to the tribe's ethics.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In its purest form, the term denotes the act of pretending to care about a causeand making a display of itin order to attain improved social standing, despite not actually caring about the cause one is pretending to care about.

So if it's obvious that a person clearly doesn't care about the cause they say they care about then the charge of virtue signaling can be appropriately leveled. The term is overused but it is still more than useful in today's social climate.
View Quote
Virtue signalling includes making a show about caring about something. Nothing to do with actually caring about the thing or not.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The act is as old as society itself.

The pejorative connotation in current use?  Came to the fore as a verbal device to dismiss the ubiquitous leftist examples, especially those on social media.  Again, look at how "politically incorrect" evolved.

It went from a pejorative against "liberal" sensibilities of the late 1980's to any politically controversial statement.  Now, it just means rude.  This was the result of an effort by the left to co opt the phrase.

I don't think we should surrender effective terms when they are effective and damaging to the left.
View Quote
PC was a term created by "liberals" to define correct beliefs, but was quickly mocked.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, you living under a rock or something? Find ANY thread about gays. If you are moderate on any social topic around here you get called a virtue signaller. If you haven't noticed then you're not paying attention.

Cuck is one of the stupidest terms that gets thrown around here, and it tell me everything I need to know about the people that use it (with the exception of actual cucks that invite their wives boyfriends over for dinner).
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn OP, you sure lit up the V-Signal!

Unlike us, some people just can’t have a civilized conversation.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
OP is still mad over pictures of cartoon frog clowns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Virtue signaling is basically broadcasting a non controversial opinion or statement that simultaneously attacks a group of people with an implied strawman fallacy.

A perfect example are those dumb blue signs people put in their yard that says "Hate has no home here".  The person that put that there didn't do it because he wants people to know he isn't a hateful person.  He did it to imply that the people that he disagrees with are the hateful people.
View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are real differences between the right and left, which those like the OP want to ignore.

Reasonable lefty Tim Pool made the point that the right is less sensitive to insults. That's true. It is also true the right cares less about what you think.

I don't really care if someone believe in communism. Or Islam. I just don't want those things forced on me. A communist or Islamist who is content to live and let live is fine by me, the issue here is that such communists and Islamists don't seem to exist.

One of the people posting in this thread thought it would be a good idea to mix in with anftifa wearing a MAGA hat protesting against 9 larpers dressed as KKK/SS. Rather clueless idea. But it was virtuesignaling. I, personally, don't care if you are KKK, neonazi, commie or nation of islam. However, antifa is different in that it is communists who use violent street action to shut down opposition speech. I don't see KKK or neonazis or nation of islam using such violent means to shut down speech.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol, you living under a rock or something? Find ANY thread about gays. If you are moderate on any social topic around here you get called a virtue signaller. If you haven't noticed then you're not paying attention.
View Quote
Bullshit. We have gay and trans members who are respected. One of the trans members is one of the strongest fighters for the right.

If you were called out for virtue signaling, perhaps you were.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When done on an elevated level, i.e. climate change, it's done to gain improved social standing of what is being promoted, not the promoter. even though, in all likelihood, it will benefit them immeasurably. In some way. It can be done for other reasons besides inflating one's own standing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In its purest form, the term denotes the act of pretending to care about a cause—and making a display of it—in order to attain improved social standing, despite not actually caring about the cause one is pretending to care about.

So if it’s obvious that a person clearly doesn’t care about the cause they say they care about then the charge of virtue signaling can be appropriately leveled. The term is overused but it is still more than useful in today’s social climate.
Some young guys do it just to get laid.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bullshit. We have gay and trans members who are respected. One of the trans members is one of the strongest fighters for the right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. It happens all the time. Yes, we have respected gay members, it doesn't change the fact that if you say anything that's not in line with the groupthink here you get labeled one of the above terms.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Seems to be used to signal group identity. But what here isn’t?
View Quote
You and OP give off your own signal.  "Echo chamber" "can't handle different opinions"
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Bullshit. It happens all the time. Yes, we have respected gay members, it doesn't change the fact that if you say anything that's not in line with the groupthink here you get labeled one of the above terms.
View Quote
There isn't one "groupthink" on that issue. There are several different core views people take on that issue, with people clustering around those opinions.

Three major nodes of opinion on that issue (off the top of my head, I could probably add some if I gave it some thought) could be labled "people can do what they want in their bedroom", "gay sex is a sin", and "the gay lifestyle is problamatic".

One can by extension include "I don't care what gays do, but I don't want to be forced to bake a cake". That's more about the bigger political fight, not so much about gays per se, but the fact that things like gay marraige are used to impose poltical power.

Certainly you might get labled as virtue signaling depending, and it likewise might be accurate or not.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You and OP give off your own signal.  "Echo chamber" "can't handle different opinions"
View Quote
2micky is his own thing, I wouldn't put him in the NeverTrump trash bin.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most of GD is joking and diversion. If you're taking it seriously you need a perspective check.

I'm guessing you haven't had the displeasure of working with a true libtard virtue signaler, correct? They are the killers of all enjoyment. For example, a real conversation.

Subject is liveleak videos, everyone's joking and having a good time.
Me: oh man, did you see the video of Abu Hajar? Where ISIS is attacking and Abu Hajar is just fucking everything up?
Normal guy: I haven't, what happened?
Virtue Signaler: [tone of contempt], No, I don't take a sick pleasure in watching videos of death and destruction!

So you see what the VS is doing. He pretends that I'm taking pleasure in watching death (he has no evidence of this, hasn't even seen the video), he assumes that the moral high ground is to mock that straw man, and he immediately goes for it.

This is the kind of behavior you get when society decided you'd lose your job and get a criminal record for slapping a douchebag.
View Quote
primuspilum seems pretty serious about his personal war with the left. Plenty of other people here get straight up angry if you don't fall in line with their politics. I think you might need to revisit your perspective.

I've met plenty of unreasonable and/or toxic people both left and right.

GD virtue signals constantly too. The virtues are just different.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I suppose this might extend to bumper stickers, but only if your car looks like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/481164/bumper-car-cropped-medium1_jpg-977153.JPG
View Quote
"Rebel with too many causes."
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Ben Shapiro nailed it when he pointed culture and politics are merging and feeding the decisiveness in our country. Everything including coffee is becoming political.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about on the extreme middle?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ben Shapiro nailed it when he pointed culture and politics are merging and feeding the decisiveness in our country. Everything including coffee is becoming political.
View Quote
The left is driving that.

The right is divided between the "decorum right" that wants to have a nice debate, and the younger, Trump right that wants to punch back.

The Trump right isn't far right, but it wants to defend its culture and not fall to leftist domination. But it is willing to brawl and punch back.

Ben is part of the decorum right.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My definition: Conspicuous displays or statements undertaken to demonstrate that a person is worthy of acclaim or esteem for being on the correct side of a left wing political issue (whether or not they realize it's a leftist cause)

It is how practitioners of the religion of progressive leftism demonstrate piety. Many engage in it outside committed progressivism, because they wish to obtain the social approbation that comes with being on the approved side of issues or causes.  Others may engage in it merely as an inoculation against being accused of racism, homophobia, climate "denial" etc.

The phenomena has been around forever.  In religion it's false piety. In communist states, it's regurgitation of the party line or sloganeering.

"virtue signaling" as a specific pejorative, as far as I'm concerned, means someone who knowingly (or as a response to programming) is displaying public piety for left wing causes.
View Quote
Agree.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Certainly you might get labled as virtue signaling depending, and it likewise might be accurate or not.
View Quote
Which...is what I'm saying. The gay issue is just one, there's others too of course.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP is attempting to demonstrate superior moral character by pretending not to understand the concept of virtue signaling.
View Quote
Bwhahahahahahahaha

“That ball is outta here.”
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Plenty of other people here get straight up angry if you don't fall in line with their politics. I think you might need to revisit your perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Plenty of other people here get straight up angry if you don't fall in line with their politics. I think you might need to revisit your perspective.
Actually there is a wide range of views here, and not much anger over disagreement.

Certainly with respect to NeverTrump, and inparticular the main underscores, there is bad feeling, but it is because the main underscores are not engaging in honest debate. They troll using arguments they know are bad.

Quoted:
Not the same thing. You already showed in a previous post that you are misidentifying virtue signaling.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Which...is what I'm saying. The gay issue is just one, there's others too of course.
View Quote
Yes, it might be accurate or not.

As my post layed out, there isn't one take on gays here. And of course, we have actual gays who are respected. We also have people making reasonable objections to the gay lifestyle. We don't have one "party line" on the issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As my post layed out, there isn't one take on gays here. And of course, we have actual gays who are respected. We also have people making reasonable objections to the gay lifestyle. We don't have one "party line" on the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you're not in step with the far right stance (you know what I mean "far right" isn't really the right term maybe but I don't really care)  here you get called a virtue signaller. I know you've seen it, unless you just never click on those threads. It's incredibly common. I honestly have no idea why you're arguing this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]

In order to understand what virtue signalling is, you first need to understand Cultural Marxism and Critical Theory.  Virtue signaling is any display intended to advertise adherence to or agreement with a Politically Correct viewpoint. Watch the video and in no time you'll be recognizing not only virtue signaling but the Cultural Marxist viewpoint that it serves.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nothing you mentioned is "exactly the same thing".

"Parroting pundits" isn't virtue signaling. "Sorry your girl lost" is a retort to NeverTrump garbage.

Asking for help arguing something isn't virtue signaling. Hell, it signals lack or knowledge/debate skills.
View Quote
Parroting pundits to say the right thing for social points is virtue signaling. Asking for how to think and how to argue against a topic is group think. Instead of thinking for themselves they want to do whatever the group does and say the right things for social points within the group. They are asking how to virtue signal.

"Sorry your girl lost" is an example of dismissing people and delegitimizing them for having a difference of opinion which the left does as well. There is very little nuance in the discussion here. If you are even slightly out of line with the hive someone is going to try and shout you down.

It is identity politics. Both the left and right each have people that think they are superior for their opinions and use language to signal their superiority to their group and shut down anyone who dares to do otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What about on the extreme middle?
View Quote
Can't say that I've met any.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

primuspilum seems pretty serious about his personal war with the left. Plenty of other people here get straight up angry if you don't fall in line with their politics. I think you might need to revisit your perspective.

View Quote
I don't believe you understand what virtue signaling is, and how it is used by Cultural Marxists and their useful idiots.  It's one of the weapons of cultural warfare, intended to destroy western culture and civilization. Those opposed to Cultural Marxism or the elimination of Western Civilization become understandably angry, defensive, or irritated when virtue signalling, political correctness, or censorship is employed as a weapon against them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Actually there is a wide range of views here, and not much anger over disagreement.

Certainly with respect to NeverTrump, and inparticular the main underscores, there is bad feeling, but it is because the main underscores are not engaging in honest debate. They troll using arguments they know are bad.

Not the same thing. You already showed in a previous post that you are misidentifying virtue signaling.
View Quote
I disagree.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top