Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2023 8:32:56 AM EDT
Trying to get back into practicing guitar, but over this weekend my left hand decided to go rogue on me. Feels like someone opened it up and dumped a bunch of sand and powdered glass into my finger joints. Anything requiring grip strength sends laser-shooting pain all through my hand, primarily the middle finger and ring finger. It's a little better this morning, but finger tips are still numb/tingly and the pain moves around in my arm up to my shoulder for no apparent reason.

Everyone I've asked about it says it sounds like Arthritis, so I'm wondering who has dealt with it and hopefully beat it, or managed it successfully?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
One thing you can do is cut all sugar .
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Say what?  is sugar bad for arthritis?  Any other foods (that I love) I should give up?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I could stand to do that anyway, so I'll put it on the list.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had similar issues. I recommend getting in to physical therapy. Have them look at your neck/back/shoulder since the pain in the fingers goes that far up. Your MD will likely order C-spine xray and check for disk problems, then refer to PT.

Good stretching or yoga, and playing for shorter times until you build up better stamina.

Stretches for guitar

Dermatome info
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I could stand to do that anyway, so I'll put it on the list.
Thanks!
View Quote

And carbs or combo of cutting both. Carnivore diet made me feel much younger. No inflammation equals no pain
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I had been having some joint pain for quite a while, mainly shoulders.

Had blood tests done for something unrelated and DR said to take OTC
D3 suppilments because I was at the bottom of the "normal" scale.

Joint pains are gone. Nothing else has changed, so it has to be the D level.
Worth asking you Dr. about.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll second the cutting of all sugar (sorry bro ) and the yoga.

I was spending almost all of my extra cash on massage therapy to keep things moving, yoga is cheaper and more effective. (for me YMMV)

FYI the sugar industry is one of the earliest and most influential lobbying groups in DC.

https://kelleyuustal.com/the-sugar-lobbys-dirtiest-tricks/
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing to beat arthritis, once its there its there.
I have it in my knees, elbows, spine, and hands.
I live life like I want and deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is nothing to beat arthritis, once its there its there.
I have it in my knees, elbows, spine, and hands.
I live life like I want and deal with it.
View Quote

I buy the large bottles of tylenol.  Still play guitar, acoustic and electric, and bass, and play golf.  Fuck arthritis.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Lupus, arthritis... its eating away at my right index finger to the extent i can only do flat triggers now but thankfully not my fretting hand.  I've been on Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for a couple years which really helps with morning hand stiffness. Prob why i also sailed thru covid 2X.  I think HCQ is on-label Rx for rheumatoid arthritis, not sure about other types.

ETA: HCQ is a very benign anti-malarial with anti inflammatory properties. You do have to have your eyes checked routinely as there is a risk of some sort of retinopathy. I started having some weird issues with my vision so i started cycling the HCQ to prevent high levels and it cleared up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
15mg Meloxicam (NSAID) seems to keep some inflammation at bay for me for the past 4+ yrs, although I can still over do it sometimes.  I read that this long term NSAID use may put me at greater risk for an unwelcome cardiovascular event.  My risk factors are piling up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
OK I admit the tylenol alone isn't cutting it.  I will be having my hip replaced Wednesday.  

Sure wish it was Thursday, in October.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Successfully for the time being..
Scaphoid and radius are grinding together, both wrists.  Diclofenac topical goo really eases the pain.
I use it sparingly.
 Certain types of things, like a jolt from cranking on a nut with a breaker bar, then it cuts loose,
can be, um, breathtaking. Recoil is another one, kinda puts a crimp in much trigger time.
Eventually will have to have surgery, fusion or remove scaphoid(s).
I am an old geezer, I spose it could be worse.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Well no more arthritis in the left hip now.  Doc cut me yesterday.  And oh boy the oxycodone is defintitely not an option.  Having issues typing from this stuff.  Maybe I'm a wimp.  I can walk and the walker is really only to precent me falling which I can't see happening.  But I am mostly a good patient.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#15]
A non steroid anti inflammatory if you don't have something prescribed. Make sure to take it with food. Iburpfoen, naproxen etc...
Top Top