Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 1:16:28 PM EDT
Why is it that on a uniformed soldier, man or woman, a beret looks pretty cool, (not that I in any way agree with the Clintonistas in standardizing the black beret), but if Joe civilian were to sport a beret everyone would assume that he was the second coming of the artist formerly known as Prince?

I have never had a desire to wear a beret. Just wondering.

And how did that little flop hat ever get incorporated into the military. If indeed the origin of the beret is French, then to incorporate it into the military at all is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I see some guys in the army wear if right and it looks real good, but the majority kinda look off.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack the thread, I still maintain that it was wrong to give berets to all Army troops, regardless of MOS. I don't think some lame ass MOS should rate a beret. It cheapens the whole idea.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]

On a civilian, it's says FROG to me [BD]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And how did that little flop hat ever get incorporated into the military.

View Quote

Because getting your ass handed to you by someone who looks like a fop adds insult to injury.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And how did that little flop hat ever get incorporated into the military. If indeed the origin of the beret is French, then to incorporate it into the military at all is somewhat of an oxymoron.

View Quote

Chinese made at that! Those were interesting hearings.

Tell me again how Bill Clinton became commander-in-chief?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
She wore a "raspberry" beret! [:D]

[b][i]"She wore a
Raspberry beret
The kind U find in a second hand store
Raspberry beret
And if it was warm she wouldn't wear much more
Raspberry beret
I think I love her"[/i][/b]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Gen Shinseki made the change to the all army beret and I rue that day.  They were supposed to raise morale, most European armies wear them.  The berets are not made in China, some are US and some are Canadian.  I had to give a class to my soldiers on proper wear and forming of the army beret.  Rangers now wear Khaki berets, which looks pretty cool.  But way too many soldiers have a large floppy beret that makes them look like a french pastry chef, it's pretty embarassing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
As I understand it, the beret thing started when tank crews needed headgear that would not get in the way of their goggles, etc.  The beret, with its brimless design, fit the bill.

This could be total BS, but it is what I read somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear a scally cap that some jerks have mistaken for a beret.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.bloomington.in.us/~okolicko/images/beret.gif[/img] vs [img]http://www.calguard.ca.gov/126th/images/beret.jpg[/img]

It's not about the beret, it's about the man in the beret.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Ever see the show Mythbusters?  It's pretty cool, but the co-host that wears a beret looks kinda...funny.

[img]http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/meet/gallery/meet_jamie.jpg[/img]

[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Wear a maroon one everyday at work.  I can't think of any reason why you'd wear one if not forced to.  Whatever novelty and honor the beret held for me, Shinseki took away.

That being said, the tri-color desert boonie sees more use around here these days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The berets are not made in China, some are US and some are Canadian.  
View Quote

The first orders most certainly were made in China (among other places). Not only were they out of spec, but also had a 'funny smell' according to the personnel testifying before a congressional hearing. In the end DoD had to trash thousands of them when the fact that the Army had gone to foreign suppliers for them instead of using U.S. contractors was brought to light by U.S. companies that were excluded from the original contracts...

The whole deal was a boondoggle and it fell right in Gen Shinseki's lap. They finally got it straight, but it cost the U.S. a ton of $$$ and didn't accomplish much.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As I understand it, the beret thing started when tank crews needed headgear that would not get in the way of their goggles, etc.  The beret, with its brimless design, fit the bill.

This could be total BS, but it is what I read somewhere.
View Quote

There may be some truth to that. Certainly in the Romanian and Polish armies, as well as in the French, this was the case before 1940, but in the German army, after 1940, they got rid of the berets for tank crews and went to the peaked cap.

Paratroopers also wore them- the Italian "Folgore" division and the British paras wore them in WW2, too.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The camoflauge patrol cap is so superior in every way that I can't understand anyone wanting to wear a beret.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
No,I never EARNED the right to wear one.Nuff said!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I earned a black beret in 91, don't fit my fat head anymore.

Berets are the worst hat designed as far as practical or serving any purpose. They don't keep sun or rain out of your eyes, and don't keep your head warm etc.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I earned a black beret in 91, don't fit my fat head anymore.

Berets are the worst hat designed as far as practical or serving any purpose. They don't keep sun or rain out of your eyes, and don't keep your head warm etc.
View Quote

I would argue that the service cap (formerly worn with Class A's - now just with Blues) is more impractical, due mainly to its bad habit of flying off of your head in the wind.  I have come to appreciate the beret in Class A uniform - otherwise, I would refer the ol' patrol cap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top