Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 12:26:52 AM EDT
Just wondering if anybody has done it this way? I'd love to get may hands on a Garand. But I'm down here in the sticks and the closest 'affiliated' shooting club is almost 4 hours away. I've been checking out some of the details via the CMP site and honestly for me it sound like it'd just be a big ol'pain in the ass. From what I've gathered 'You' (or 'I' in this case) never really OWN the rifle, it actually belongs to the shooting club you are registered with?

Someone/everyone correct me if I'm wrong

TIA

Ruckus
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No you own the rifle.

Here's what you do and it is easy as pie.

1: join the GCA  Click here [url]www.garandcollectors.org[/url]  make sure you check the box that has them forward your membership info to the CMP.  This fills the affilated club requirement.

2: Are you a Vet or LEO?  Over 65?  If so the shooting part is waived.  If not go to ANY shooting match, shoot 50 rounds, get RO to document and that part is filled.

3: Download and fill out te forms, pick the rifle you want, I recommend an SA Service Grade or the same in HRA.  Get notarized and mail with delivery confirmation.

4:  Wait for the rifle to be shipped to your door via FedEx.  And the rifle is yours to keep, forever, at the place of your choosing and for your personal use.  You own it just like the shoes on your feet!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You own the rifle, just that you are not suppose to sell it to someone else.

I've bought a M1 Garand not problem. But when I bought mine it took the DCM/CMP over a year to deliver it, now I believe it is a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
There are two ways to go.  Go with CMP and you get a good M1 at a great price.  The process can be good for learning how to shoot better, especially if you go through a proper clinic or match and get good coaching.

Your other option is to go to a good smith like Fulton Armory or Orion 7 and buy a properly built rifle.  Yeah you'll pay twice the price of a CMP rifle, but you'll probably get a nicer rifle, and do not have the wait.

Now, you do own the CMP rifle, contrary to what you have gathered, and you can sell it if you wish after a year or so without any trouble. There are a lot of guys out there who buy their max alotment every single year.  Do you think that they keep every single one of those rifles.  That's 8 rifles a year. In 4 years, that's 32 rifles.  I know guys that have that many, but they keep buying more.

They buy rifles, keep the ones they like, take the collectable parts they need to complete or correct rifles and sell off the extras to finance the next group.

This is legal and the CMP doesn't worry about it either.  Rifle sales are a revenue generation program that provides them with the funds they need to run their marksmanship programs.  They also know that the flow of rifles out of Anniston could evaporate the instant a democratic president takes the oath, so moving them out fast is in their best interest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
...sound like it'd just be a big ol'pain in the...
View Quote

Nope, it's rather Painless. [:D]

I got mine when they were $165.  He-he-he.

Great rifle, like new, shoots fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got one of the Remington 513T .22 rifles. Im part of a shooting club si it was no problem. I got the gun for my son to shoot. The rifle was in great condition. I would buy from them again without any hesitation.

Now with the club it as an unspoken work that if someone wants to borrow it for a shooting match that I will lend it to them. I dont have a proble with it though. If I leave the club its still my gun with no strings attached.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just got one of the Remington 513T .22 rifles. .
View Quote

How long ago did you order???

I just ordered mine about two weeks ago. They said give 'em a month.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I was very, very reluctant to do a CMP buy.

As some folks here, I really questioned buying a gun that's been rebuilt & sitting in a warehouse.

[b]IT'S WORTH IT!  A CMP BUY IS A GREAT THING[/b]

Here's my beauty, after replaced the stock (cuz I could, not because I had to)

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=4462[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top