Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 7:22:26 PM EDT
Thinking about building this one www.fisherflying.com/fleet/FP606/  The only bad part about the whole thing is the build time, i guess i could buy a used one but then i would be flying around in something sombody else glued together. This also seems a little spendy considering the engine is not included.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
i was thinking about doing this a few years ago. if you search there is a company who sells a kit that takes a stripped down vw type one engine. the 36 or 40 hp model engine. the build time IIRC is about 200 hours, and the cost is under 10 for a complete and flying unit. but i do recommend taking a ultralight flight scool
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i was thinking about doing this a few years ago. if you search there is a company who sells a kit that takes a stripped down vw type one engine. the 36 or 40 hp model engine. the build time IIRC is about 200 hours, and the cost is under 10 for a complete and flying unit. but i do recommend taking a ultralight flight scool

Flying an airplane cant be that hard,lots of people do it.  I do have some hours in a Cherokee 180 ,but i am guessing this is completly different beast.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT for more info
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this an FAA Part 103 ultralight, or will it qualify under sport pilot?

I've been looking for a 2 seat ultralight, like a Quicksilver MXL, for my wife and I.  Trying to decide between it or putting the cash toward a mondo Lancair for our frequent 1100 mile cross country trips.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#5]
This is an ultralight,they have a few other models that might suit what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've been looking for a 2 seat ultralight, like a Quicksilver MXL, for my wife and I.  Trying to decide between it or putting the cash toward a mondo Lancair for our frequent 1100 mile cross country trips.

If it has 2 seats, it's not an Ultralight, it's an unregistered light plane....

The FAA will not allow UL pilots to fly with a passenger unless it's a training flight. I suppose there's wiggle room there, but you'd better be a USUA instructor. The JBT's at the BATF and FBI have nothing on the FAA.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it has 2 seats, it's not an Ultralight, it's an unregistered light plane....

The FAA will not allow UL pilots to fly with a passenger unless it's a training flight. I suppose there's wiggle room there, but you'd better be a USUA instructor. The JBT's at the BATF and FBI have nothing on the FAA.

Dave

Yeah I know - that's why I haven't picked up the MXL yet - I can't "register" it as an experimental, or a certificated aircraft.  I've been kicking around the USUA thing but that's a waste of time for what I am looking to do, plus I really wouldn't be giving my wife dual.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

HUMMELBIRD?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HUMMELBIRD?

<flamebait>

Yeah but it's not composite so it's not a real airplane.....

</flamebait>
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a set of plans for a Rutan Quickee. Looks really simple to build, very cheap and has a reliable 4 stroke engine. If it weren't for the single seat, it would be the perfect sport plane-how many airplanes out there cruise 136mph on 18hp and trailer home (as opposed to renting a hangar) when you are done?

It also falls under the new Light Sport Plane class. You might look into this new classification, essentially you have lighter licensing requirements and your DL is actually your pilot's license. You can fly some pretty heavy stuff and take a passenger. This is the FAA's response to the Fat Ultralight problem, and to allow carrying of passengers in these types of aircraft.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got a set of plans for a Rutan Quickee. Looks really simple to build, very cheap and has a reliable 4 stroke engine. If it weren't for the single seat, it would be the perfect sport plane-how many airplanes out there cruise 136mph on 18hp and trailer home (as opposed to renting a hangar) when you are done?

It also falls under the new Light Sport Plane class. You might look into this new classification, essentially you have lighter licensing requirements and your DL is actually your pilot's license medical. You can fly some pretty heavy stuff and take a passenger. This is the FAA's response to the Fat Ultralight problem, and to allow carrying of passengers in these types of aircraft.

Dave

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It also falls under the new Light Sport Plane class. You might look into this new classification, essentially you have lighter licensing requirements and your DL is actually your pilot's license. You can fly some pretty heavy stuff and take a passenger. This is the FAA's response to the Fat Ultralight problem, and to allow carrying of passengers in these types of aircraft.

Dave

Interesting, but why not build a Long-Eze instead?  I'll have to search the web for some pics of this thing.  I worship Rutan, but curiously I've never seen pics of the Quickee.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
My dad built an RV6, experimental AC, not an UL, still freaks me out that he built something and them flies in it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Interesting, but why not build a Long-Eze instead?  I'll have to search the web for some pics of this thing.  I worship Rutan, but curiously I've never seen pics of the Quickee.

Cost and convenience mostly. A Long-Eze is a full sized airplane, with the build price, fuel costs, hangar fees etc. For that kind of money, I'd rather just hum along in a homely C150.

The Quickee is a lot like a flying motorcycle. The wingspan is only 17ft, but since it's a canard biplane it has plenty of area and it essentially stall proof. The motor in the early models was a 16hp Onan (think 2 cylinder 4 stroke lawn tractor engine) industrial engine that would give a top speed of 137mph. Modern Onan's put out 26hp from the same engine, cruising at that speed is a piece of cake.

Basically, a Quickee is a small, high performance aircraft that is fast enough to go places with , but only has a single seat. It's probably still possible to build one for $5k, which makes it a great bargain. My only problem is that I took a ride in a heli and want to do that instead of flying airplanes... I traveled from Detroit to Newport News this past June to look at American Sportscopter's small heli kits-very impressive!

Dave
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Cost and convenience mostly. A Long-Eze is a full sized airplane, with the build price, fuel costs, hangar fees etc. For that kind of money, I'd rather just hum along in a homely C150.

The Quickee is a lot like a flying motorcycle. The wingspan is only 17ft, but since it's a canard biplane it has plenty of area and it essentially stall proof. The motor in the early models was a 16hp Onan (think 2 cylinder 4 stroke lawn tractor engine) industrial engine that would give a top speed of 137mph. Modern Onan's put out 26hp from the same engine, cruising at that speed is a piece of cake.

Basically, a Quickee is a small, high performance aircraft that is fast enough to go places with , but only has a single seat. It's probably still possible to build one for $5k, which makes it a great bargain. My only problem is that I took a ride in a heli and want to do that instead of flying airplanes... I traveled from Detroit to Newport News this past June to look at American Sportscopter's small heli kits-very impressive!

Dave

Wow - very cool.  I will look into them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top