Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:41:17 AM EDT
Just wondered if there are any other piano players out there on arfcom?

I had about 10 years of classical instruction but could not keep up the practice regimen once I got into my architecture career etc.

So now I have a blast playing mostly pop and worship music, accompanying my own voice and playing some instrumentals. I perform solo on occasion, but have recently got together with some guys for ensemble playing. I still dabble in classical, too.

I have a Hobart M. Cable upright that I am told by experts is an old bar piano from the 1920's. It has been rebuilt at some time in the past, but the sound is incredible. It also has all it's original ivory keys and the action is in pristine condition.

Anyone else out there pound the ivories?

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Played piano from grade school through high school. Gave it up in college because the university didn't have any decent practice rooms nor did I really have the time to practice. I still dabble on the ivories a bit, but nowadays, I've switched to guitar, which tends to be a more portable instrument.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I do.  Mostly classical stuff - Chopin and Beethoven.

I have a 5'3" Yamaha G-1.

- CD
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Been playing on and off for over 40 years now.
My grandma was a piano teacher, I learned very young.

I used to own both an organ and an upright piano, now I just have my electric keypboard and an old studio Wurlizter.

I play mainly rag, boogie, or classical.

I don't play as much now as I used to but I still manage to tinkle the ol' ivories now and then...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Took Classical piano from 4th grade -10th.  Graduated from college with a minor in music.  
Play now at the occassional church service.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I've played since age 12 (33 now) kinda' on my own.  Mom played the piano, but when we were growing up, my parents couldn't afford to send my brother and I to lessons.  I can't read music (well i can read bass cleff, but not very fast).  I play entirely by ear, and mostly make it up as I go.  I have mom's old upright (stored in the garage), and I play a Yamaha P-150.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife has a Masters in piano performance from University of Missouri at Kansas City Conservatory of Music.

I married FAR above my station!

Patsue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top