Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 9:39:52 AM EDT
Don't get me wrong I love my kids but talk about not having free time for anything and a constant feeling of exhaustion.  Is it bad that I look forward to going to work sometimes?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong I love my kids but talk about not having free time for anything and a constant feeling of exhaustion.  Is it bad that I look forward to going to work sometimes?

Try being the stay at home dad to a 9 month old who is just figuring out how to crawl and manipulate people

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Try being the stay at home dad to a 9 month old who is just figuring out how to crawl and manipulate people  

Both of ours starting walking around 8 months... talk about no rest!  

They will keep me young or put me in an early grave.

Odds are about even as to which at the moment.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say that's pretty normal.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]
only 21, so nope. Making me have second thoughts about kiddo's lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Worth it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Start Exercising, it helps!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
same here, wouldnt trade it though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is in her twenties and stays at home while I go to work.

Feels great, man.  

I'm not even sure what she named them.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
You are no longer living for yourself.  Get used to it.  

Also........that doesn't mean it is a BAD thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Feels great, man.  

Are you sure they're hers?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

actually, I can't begin to express how easy that sounds
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This right here.  Friends of ours had 2 sets of twins, 3 years apart.  You'll make it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Single dad here. It has it's rewards.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Feels great, man.  

fucking funny
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.  Friends of ours had 2 sets of twins, 3 years apart.  You'll make it!

Damn, I thought my cousin had it bad with one set of triplets.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feels great, man.  

Are you sure they're hers?

You mean his?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]
You'll figure it out.  My first was pretty easy.  Was afraid of everything and never got into anything.  The second is the opposite.  I had BCU (Baby Containment Unit) toy that the kid would play in.  I would set it with the door up to the wall and stick the baby in.  This would buy me about 15 - 20 minutes of peace before she figured it out and escaped.

Nice thing about babies is you don't have to be too careful about what's on TV when their around.  My peace is the 1 or 2 hours after they go to bed that I can do what I want....except for leaving the house, obviously.

Oh...and you really can't drink when you're home alone with the kids.  Brother in law found out the hard way.  Friday night, kids are in bed and he sits down and cracks open a beer.  Five beers later the 4-yr-old gets out of bed to use the bathroom.  Slips and cracks her head on the bathtub.  He got unpleasant interview at the ER with a bleeding, injuried child, alcohol on his breath at 11pm.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's hard work doing it right, but remember that these kids will pick out your nursing home when you return to diapers and soft food.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL...  I'm waiting on number 7 to make his/her debut, and that could happen any hour/day now.  Exhausted?  Oh my, yes.  Worth it?  Definitely.  I am still up at least 4 out of 7 nights with somebody needing to either have their bed changed (peed the bed) or go to the bathroom (no idea why they feel the need to tell me they have to pee at 3 AM), or somebody calling out "Dadda!!!" when they have a bad dream, or just yelling out in general because they woke up scared for some reason (only the 2 little ones do that anymore)...  and usually a hug and a kiss calms them down so they can go back to sleep.

I don't figure I'll have a full 7 nights of sleep a week again for at LEAST another 5 years, so I just make due with what I can get... which is unfortunately a couple of "naps" each night that last between 3 and 4 hours long with a 1/2 hr to 1 hr in the middle where I'm awake and desperately trying to get back to sleep.

I know the feeling, you're talking about, though...  it's sometimes frustrating to be pulled in so many different directions.  But, overall, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I get a lot of joy out of my kids.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Work is a vacation at times.  Kids can drain the energy right out of you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Having seen the movie "Tangled" 6 times in the last week, I could go for some physical exhaustion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Having seen the movie "Tangled" 6 times in the last week, I could go for some physical exhaustion.

I have Toy Story memorized.  Tangled only six times in a week?  Lightweight.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm there. Nothing is easy now. Every single event has to involve shouting, multiple bodily fluids, spilled juice, a change of clothes, a bath, punishment and mopping the floor. It's exhausting, frustrating and unending and there is no remedy. I've got one in the Terrible Twos and a high-maintenance first grader. All my stuff is sticky, broken, lost or all three. I shit listening to a running commentary of the same goddamn Power Rangers video every morning. My house is an obstacle course - I weave around all the toys and junk strewn around the house.

My wife and I joke that if we get divorced, it will be the first time ever that the custody fight is for who escapes without the kids.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is a teenager now but I remember those days.

On the one hand, having kids when young sucks.  On the other hand, not being old and having to chase after little ones is pretty awesome.

OP, it gets better.  It really does.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Thought I was in the clear as my kid is 8 and very independent.  Then the darkness came,  My wife's sister and demon spawn child came to stay while the SiL goes through a divorce and gets back on her feet.  That kid, I believe, has never had any parenting in her 2 years of life.  Has no respect for her mother and the mother has no backbone either.  It would be easier to brake a wild mustang then to get this kid to behave.  Up at 4 am, no matter what time she goes to bed, spits food out anywhere, torments the dog, tried to kill the dog,  shrieks for no reason, will sneak markers and mark shit  up at 4am.....  All this destruction from a tiny little girl, a mother that goes what can I do.  And most likely will be months before they move,    I want my life back,  I hate going home.    
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can sympathize brother.

4 1/2 yo girl , 1 yo boy, wife and I both work fulltime, I've been working 6 or 7 days a week and the SO is getting her Master's online during the week.  Most of the time I don't know what day it is.

But how else could I wake up at 7am on Sunday with a slap to the head from the 1 yo and not 10 seconds later the girl comes blasting past my room shouting "Yee haw" while riding her wooden pony.  Sometimes you just have to laugh at the situation.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ya same here. In another 8 months round 2 starts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]
No one made you become a parent......
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feels great, man.  

fucking funny

Honest to goodness LOL.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually, I can't begin to express how easy that sounds

No shit.  That one can't even talk yet.  Get back to us in 10 years.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Normal.  But it's all worth it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Rough crowd. Parenthood is funny that way.  No money or no time for one's self is a common theme.  The amount I put into the college fund makes me weep inside.  That's lot of hookers and blow
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Just remember, it can always be worse :)

For instance, I've spent the last six months taking care of a wife who was in and out of surgery, a newborn baby, and a 3 year-old boy whose only form of communication is screaming, while trying to fit a full-day of work in where I can(at home with said distractions and duties).

And there are people with harder jobs than mine :)

But yeah, I'm exhausted.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#34]
A good friend of mine has two kids. Last night we all went to see Lincoln. They had to leave right after the movie to go get the kids. My observations tell me that kids pretty much take all your time and energy. My friend gets his "me time" in after they go to bed which is why he usually stays up until 2 or 3 in the morning. They are eight and three, the two of them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm 44. My wife is 41 and 8 months pregnant. She's still running 4 miles a day. I try to get mine in every other day.

This will be our third child. We have a 6 year old son and a 5 year old adopted daughter from Poland. They're both heavily into gymnastics. Our days are full, but I wouldn't say we're exhausted.

We do have a housekeeper and my wife works from home, so that helps.

Since I love showing them off, here's our Xmas card from last year:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Single guy no kids.  Imagine having nobody to come home to.

Just kidding, it's really awesome being able to do whatever you want and have no strings.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

*insert any Disney/Pixar movie*
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm 41 and have a 7yr old and a 6mo old.  So yes, I get it.  My poor wife has even a better understanding.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd like to read Goodnight Moon for the elevenbazillionth time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am guessing your child is very young.  Your free time isn't necessarily gone forever, just perhaps suspended for a while.  At this point life isn't necessarily about you anymore, and your time and your perception of the quality of your life as you see it.  It is about a little one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#41]
In 7 days my Youngest Moves Out

Woo Hoo

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/0z0OLqqfmk0

*insert any Disney/Pixar movie*

I am Legend
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't know how you people do it.

My Neighbor is a widow and has 4 kids ranging in age from 6 to 12.  She is always gone with them doing some kind activity/sport for one of them.

If they get home by 8:00 on a weeknight that is doing good.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 month old.  I am wore out all the time.  I couldn't love them any more, but that doesn't mean they don't take a ton of energy to take care of.

We just travelled on an 8 hour each way car trip with them, not the easiest drive ever.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I have twin boys. I learned early that parenting is only part of the equation as far as the behavior of your kids go. I always said if we only had "J" I would think I was the best parent in the world and if we only had "W" I would think I was the worst parent in the world. Kids are kids and have their own free will (as much as I wish it would submit to my will).

Now that they are a little older (9 years old) they take turns being the trouble maker.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Single, stay-at-home-dad with three 5 year old kids here.  I don't remember what it's like to feel rested and refreshed.   There are days I wish I could just "clock out" and get away for a weekend, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I still wouldn't trade it for anything, though.  Still the best "job" I've ever had.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Worth it.

^
Nothing else like it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know that you're a parent when you and your wife regularly quote Disney/Pixar movies to eachother.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

You are no longer living for yourself. Get used to it.

^

All of this.

And you won't understand it until you have kids.   Then you will.  Promise.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top