Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2001 9:45:42 AM EDT
Any space advocated out there? I just found out that I'm going to be going to the Mars Societies convention this summer and wondered if anyone on this board happended to be a member. For the uninitated the Mars Society is an advocacy and research group working for either public or private manned missions to Mars, and eventualy colonization.

[rail]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of them but sounds cool...what do they/you feel we'd have to gain by going to Mars?  As opposed to, say, going to Australia to check out Vyper's girlfriend?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Who you all going to get to pay for this
Mars stuff?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[W]hat do they/you feel we'd have to gain by going to Mars?
View Quote

If you can find it, read "The Case for Mars : The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must" by Robert Zubrin.

One of things that made America free was the frontier.  On the frontier, the government and society can not control what people think and do.  Now that our frontier is closed, our society, like all those that have proceeded us, is being regulated to death.

Technologically, we have also stagnated.  A big job like colonizing Mars would drive new technologies.

Who you all going to get to pay for this
Mars stuff?
View Quote

The sheeple!  Seriously, the pennies that the Spanish and English crowns invested in the New World was money well spent.  We could get to Mars for what we spend on social security every few days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a member of the Planetary Society so I get membership offers from the Mars Society quite often.  I'm still kicking around the idea of signing up, but I suspect I belong to enough interest groups as it is and adding another one will just be another way to dilute my already thin devotion to the existing ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top