Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 10:54:29 AM EDT
I'm buying one off of a buddy later today, as i need a new computer to run photo editing software.   any peripherals that i just gotta have to go along with it?  any awesome tools to make editing even mo' betta?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
An SSD will make things faster if it doesn't already have one.

If you're doing photo editing (but really this goes for anybody who uses a computer) when it comes to backups, 2 is 1, 1 is none.

Invest is a nice TB drive as well as another HD for your backups.  Back up OFTEN and if you can, keep one off site in case of fire/flood in the home, etc.

As far as "accessories", not really sure what you're looking for.  You can find adapters to hook up an external monitor for home use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
External Buffalo Drivestation with two drives, do mirror RAID. That's what I use for MB Pro backup and scratch for large projects.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
VGA adapter, if you ever want to plug it into a projector.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it have an Ethernet port?

If not you may need an Apple Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter - About $29.95 in any color you like as long as it's white.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Right now Adobe is running a special rate for the subscription to creative cloud. You get Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for 1-year for $10 per month.

The programs reside on your harddrive and can go for 1-month without internet connection (it uses the internet to verify that you are paying your $10 per month subscription fee) thus you can use it on airplanes and areas where there is no internet service.

Edit: being that you've buying a mac for photo editing I assume you are already familiar with Lightroom and Photoshop. However, if you are not, set your camera to RAW format and watch lots of tutorials on youtube regarding lightroom and photoshop. Both programs are very powerful but totally not intuitive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now Adobe is running a special rate for the subscription to creative cloud. You get Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for 1-year for $10 per month.

The programs reside on your harddrive and can go for 1-month without internet connection (it uses the internet to verify that you are paying your $10 per month subscription fee) thus you can use it on airplanes and areas where there is no internet service.
View Quote

That's a good deal. Creative Cloud is awesome--I have it through work.

Get one of those slick neoprene sleeves for it. But don't get it from Apple. There are places all over the web that have them on sale for $12 or so fairly regularly. I also can't speak highly enough about the Magic Mouse. While the Macbook Pro has the most useable touchpad you will find on any laptop, there is still no substitute for a real mouse and the Magic Mouse supports a ton of gestures for flipping around the desktop quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top