BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:07:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I never wrote down any of my recipes but it always consisted of throwing it in a crock pot and just seasoning it to taste and adding vegetables, sorry
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
In my family we boil the carcass.  We separate the meat from the bone and then add in the normal turkey soup ingredients.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag

FWIW....I would deep fry the breast cut into strips.

BUT a GREAT soup recipe would kickass too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Never tried it with Turkey "meat", but ... This is my take on Lentil Soup.  Hope you enjoy. Stay safe

LENTIL and TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

makes 9-2 cup portions
each portion contains;
400 calories
14 grams fat
32 grams protein            
47 grams carbohydrates
1700 mg sodium

2 lb spicy Italian Turkey sausage
Mojo Criollo
1 cup chopped onions
1/8 cup chopped garlic
1 can fat-free chicken broth
2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
Worcestershire sauce
ground red pepper
1 large can  chopped tomatoes
2 10oz packages chopped spinach
1 can low fat vegetable soup
1/4 cup sliced green olives

Peel skin from sausage and pour Mojo in a large pot. Cook the sausage on high...watch it...until a spatula can slice the links into 1/2" pieces. Don’t let it cook completely dry. Add chopped onions and garlic. Stir in broth, lentils, Worcestershire, spices, and tomatoes with juice. Boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add spinach. Bring to boil again, then reduce heat, add the remaining cooked vegetables,  and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Watch the amount of liquid...the soup should be able to be stirred.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
take as much good meat off the carcass as possible
boil the carcass for like an hour or more
Strain- keep the juice- should be kinda "soup color/cloudy
Yuo can clarify this broth- but I forgot how and I never do...
get any stray pieces of meat from the strainer
put broth back in pot
add like a cup of chopped onion
cup or two of celery
same with cliced carrots
a little gralic- clove
maybe a pinch of rosemary
pinch of oregeno
pepper (no salt yet)
simmer/light boil for 1/2 hour or so
you can add noodles at the end -cook till done-directly to the broth or cook seperatley
taste and add a little chicken/turkey stock (yea, the cubes or jar) to taste- this will add the needed salt
Add meat last- will dry out if you boil it all during broth making stage

thata about it i think
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#8]
SP1Grrl,

Chose a recipe of your choice, but prep all of your veggies by brushing with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper.  Roast veggies on the grill before hand...throw in some roasted garlic for good measure too.  

Now instead of Turkey Soup, you can have Turkey and Roasted Veggie Soup, or Mesquite Roasted Turkey Veggie soup.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Trinity.  Carrots, Onions, Celery.  I essentially make a stock from the bones/carcass.  After the stock has boiled for several hours with the finely diced veggies, adding water as needed, I strain off the bones and some/most of the trinity.  I then add cubed meat, preferably from a turkey thigh and cook until done, seasoning to taste.  Thyme, Sage, Med Sea salt, black pepper are the main seasons.  After the meat is done, I add noodles.  Turkey noodle soup.  Everyone in the family makes it this way.  Serve over crackers if desired.  Keep it simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top