Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
   My friends have a tire shop and there getting into the entry level car stereo thing. Not the big bad custom installs, but simple stereo and speaker swaps and the occasional amp and sub. I installed a few years ago and they know what im capable of and asked me to help out on my days off from my main job for some extra cash (and stuff at cost), but for the life of me I cant remember what i got paid for on installes or much less what the going rate is for pay. So whats a rough guesstament on whats a good pay for installing stereos, replacing door speakers and so on...????
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
www.crutchfield.com, they have a section on typical install prices.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
A case of ammo sounds like good payment. Insist or refuse employment.

You can also call your friendly local Best Buy or Circuit City and ask what install rates are for whatever work you ask. Being competetive with each other, they'll give you a good idea of the install rates they charge. Tell them you already have xxx components, you just want them to install it.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Replacing door speakers = about $25-70, depending on how hard/long it takes

CD player = $30-75, again, depending on how hard/long it takes.  Some dashes are complete BITCHES to take off.  My old '95 Monte Carlo was easy.  2 screws and the whole dash came off and there was the CD player.  Likewise with my '00 Sonoma.  My ex-g/f's sisters '93 Grand AM.....you had to take off 12 or 13 different screws and part of the center console.

Install amp/run wires = $40-100ish, again depending on how hard/long.

Plus any costs you may incur using parts or whatnot that they dont supply.  

Make sure the customer lets you know EXACTLY what they want, so they dont get anything they didnt want.  Have them tell you where you want the amp, where wires ran, etc....
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, since you said you installed before...

Good luck with it.
Do it for a little bit and get word of mouth built up that you do better work than BB or CC and for cheaper or equal amount and then a little at a time you can increase prices a little.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Im not worried about what prices the customer gets charged. Just how much im gonna get paid. LOL!!!!  I gots some guns to buy...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top