Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 4:28:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't Rotarians the guys that the Scientologists are all upset about, stealing souls or purging or something?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]

So..................WTF is up with the Rotary Club?

Are they all helicopter pilots?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Former boss and current boss are rotarians.

I went to a lunch with the former boss.

They basically sit around &  bullshit at lunch meetings, do a couple of fund raisers (raffles) and some nice stuff for the poor folks in the area.   Basically, they get (at the meeting I was at) some kind of local celebs to come to a fundraiser/banquet, sell tix, and use the proceeds for charitible stuff.  

The guys at the meeting were mostly upper-middle class, small/medium sized business owners or management level guys.

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean a Wankel Club?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've presented at about a dozen meetings over the years, and mostly the meetings consist of begging for money for charity.  That's a good thing, but it was way too in your face for my taste.  Then they always have an interesting speaker, well except for the ones I did .  They're a good group.  Just don't join if you don't want to spend the money.z
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
We probably have more "rotundians" than rotarians.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Rotarians are the guys who couldn't get into Elks.

Seriously, they fund local scholarships and do other charity work.  I recieved a small scholarship from the Columbia SC chapter when I was going to college, and it was much appriciated.  My view was that it was a social club that collected and distributed charitable funding in the local community.

Although I suppose it could have been a front for their plans to take over the world.  Oh, wait, thats the Masons... nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You mean a Wankel Club?

hem.passagen.se/chapron/wprinc.jpg

Well Wankel did build rotary engines! Are the two related?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
That anything like a Pastafarian?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a rotary club next to my place of employment. I always wondered what the hell they did.

Sounds like communism to me!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Locally the clubs contribute to local charities. Rotary International has focused on worldwide issues like vaccination programs, safe drinking water, biogas developiment in poor countries.

Clubs differ but they always have a lunchtime speaker and usually they're in your wallet with fines, raffles, dues.

IME it caters to the 50+ crowd.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#13]

But from what I've seen, they don't want to be.  The few I've been around actively recruit and welcome younger members.  It's just that the club seems to interest the 50+ guys more.  It also depends on the club.  In the one where I live, most members are in their 60's.  In the one about 20 miles north of here, most of the members are in their 50's.  It just depends.

tc6969, thanks for asking about the wife.  She's the same as she's been the past few years.  That's good news since she's not getting worse.

I didn't mean to make them sound like they're completely centered around money.  They also push service projects, especially reading in schools.  I really respect the organization and their members.z
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#14]
A club where they throw circle jerks ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But from what I've seen, they don't want to be.  The few I've been around actively recruit and welcome younger members.  It's just that the club seems to interest the 50+ guys more.  It also depends on the club.  In the one where I live, most members are in their 60's.  In the one about 20 miles north of here, most of the members are in their 50's.  It just depends.

tc6969, thanks for asking about the wife.  She's the same as she's been the past few years.  That's good news since she's not getting worse.

I didn't mean to make them sound like they're completely centered around money.  They also push service projects, especially reading in schools.  I really respect the organization and their members.z

They do accomplish alot. I was a member for a year and a half before I moved. The only problem was I was 28 and newly married and the rest of the membership was 55-70 and on their second or third marriage. I was building a business and they were exiting/transitioning theirs. I was scraping for cash and they were flush. Not a lot in common.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That anything like a Pastafarian?

may you be touched by his noodly appendage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top