Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:11:25 PM EDT
Been looking for a place like ARF, but for cabin building.
All I seem to find is builders and places to buy logs.
So anyone?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
funny, I was looking for cabins today too.

It looks like they are pretty damned expensive, and they can have lots leaks too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
funny, I was looking for cabins today too.

It looks like they are pretty damned expensive, and they can have lots leaks too.

Was at Home Depot today renting a chainsaw (BTW Tonster -1 Trees -0) and I saw the "cabins" they can build for you...Really just a plywood shell loft style building. I looked at the structure and it doesn't look that hard.  
So here we are.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
ya, I was on ebay looking for real estate and stumbled upon a log cabin maker. $69k for a "shell', you still have to do the:

foundation
log sealant
roof
electric
plumbing
windows
doors
interior walls
interior paint
drywall
roof insulation
fixtures
kitting

so in the end, your 1000 sq ft log cabin will cost around $200k...about twice of what a stick built will cost.

BUT, if you have some good cedar trees and lots of time on your hands then you may have a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a number of manufacturers who have log home 'systems' available for sale.

If you are looking to DIY for bug-out or whatever, you might at least gain inspiration from examples of the pre-cut construction.

Ask yourself though: do you want to find, cut, dry (for about a year), stack, chink, and perform finish work on a complete cabin?

If you are building a retirement/vacation home, call one of those dealers, the truck shows up, you get a contractor to stack those heavy SOB's, sign the bill and call it a day.

Oh, and if you are building in western NC: whatever you think it will cost, however long you think it will take--double it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
google cabin kits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top