Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 5:30:35 PM EDT
My wife's 2000 ford contour shut down on her this morning on her way to work, and now the computer is giving a code P1383 (variable cam timing overretarded (Bank #1)).  This is on a 4 cylinder.  The car seems to run fine now, it just has the check engine light on, I'm wondering if this might mean that the timing belt has slipped???

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with what the computer says!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Real cars don't have computers. I mean, ha ha one of your cams is retarded. Ah nevermind I have now advice to give.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely a sensor for the cam timing is going out...  Should be able to test both sensors with a meter..
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Most likely a sensor for the cam timing is going out...  Should be able to test both sensors with a meter..

That would be my first check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top