Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2016 5:12:48 PM EDT
I turn to you my brethren of GD, the brotherhood of seemingly random and endless knowledge (and opinions).

I want a Bonsai tree. A big one (at least 18" in height).

Some neighbor/relative/family friend had a huge one in their living room when I was a kid and I've always been fascinated by them. Looking at pictures over the years I think it was a juniper.

I would be kept mostly indoors and I'd get a grow light. Maybe place it outside in the spring and fall (in Arizona).

Does anybody here a Bonsai tree and have suggestions on a good place to buy one and how to tend to one? I see them on Amazon... that'd be my LAST choice.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Grow your own.  I looked into it a few years back...pretty simple actually
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 3 in pots now (Texas Ebony, Juniper and Lucien Tea), with a 4th growing in the backyard (bodark), waiting until its trunk is thick enough for my liking to chop the canopy, let it grow for another year or two before putting into a pot.  They require daily checks for water.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
junipers are probably the easiest.  I've killed more than I can count.  They do require daily attention.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've murdered a few.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My Mom and Dad were nisei. They had this trick: buy bonsai made out of plastic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine there is a real art to keeping them dusted?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a Juniper years ago, died during moving. They are the easiest in my opinion and seem to grow the fastest, if you're in a hurry. They're pretty cool, especially if you get a bigger square pot and lay sand on top, then you can do the whole zen raking thing. It's actually really relaxing and you're not just checking on the tree too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Ficus. One of the few bonsai that can survive forgetting to water them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't do well inside.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dust was a problem. We usually would rinse them off every year, whether they needed it or not. Nowadays, I'm sure Swiffers would work.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The best indoor bonsai are banyan figs and schefflera.
I have both and,they are tolerant of poor cultural Practices and show good character quickly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you fellas.

Ficus
Juniper
Banyan fig
Schefflera

Are all on my research list.

It'll have to be grown indoors. No real way around that.

I like the idea of planting one in a large box and have a zen sand garden too! Great idea!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've murdered a few.
View Quote

This is why I haven't bought one. I'm scared i'd fuck something up and shit away a really expensive but useless tree
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Would like to engage but don't know if the 62 deg, super dry air in my home during the winter would create problems.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I always thought they were fascinating. I had a Chinese Elm that had grown from the seeds my mature trees had dropped. I kept it in a pot, and had kept it trimmed down for about 3 years. The trunk was getting pretty girthy and the leaves stayed tiny. It was pretty neat, but not exactly exotic looking, as I hadn't wired it or anything. Sadly, it died last winter during a move. There's an art form to it, I was just trying to stunt the growth, and it did work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got 3 in pots now (Texas Ebony, Juniper and Lucien Tea), with a 4th growing in the backyard (bodark), waiting until its trunk is thick enough for my liking to chop the canopy, let it grow for another year or two before putting into a pot.  They require daily checks for water.
View Quote

That's awesome. I'd love to see pictures if you have time to post them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Coniferous
Deciduous

Sub tropical

You want subtropical, ficus benjamina is an excellent tree. Reason being is yiu can limp these along through the winter, indoors near a window. When spring comes around and you start getting 70° + temps, you can get them outside and regenerate their growth.

The deciduous and coniferous variety you will kill those off, trying that. They need to live in an outdoors/greenhouse environment.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thank you fellas.

Ficus
Juniper
Banyan fig
Schefflera

Are all on my research list.

It'll have to be grown indoors. No real way around that.

I like the idea of planting one in a large box and have a zen sand garden too! Great idea!
View Quote
Ficus and Banyan Fig are the same thing.
Apparently not (see below). I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
My son has his bonsai tree, but I'm a serial plant murderer.   Sometimes, when the spray bottle is too low on water, he'll ask me to spray his bonsai while heading out to school in the mornings.   That kid does take huge risks delegating to me.  

He's probably unaware of my serial house plant killing past.  Makes sense because he only knows me as a married father who has a sandwich maker to take care of house plants.  And she does well with her fleet of orchids.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Keeping a potted rosemary bush alive for a couple years because if I left it outside it would die in Winter. Same thing with a Bay Laurel.  Not technically bonsai, but they get a similar treatment to keep them manageable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Ours died, we just spray painted it green.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't like the ficus benjaminas much as they don't develop well and,they are prone to leaf drop.
The banyan figs (ficus retusa) are much better.
They grow aerial roots readily, hang onto leaves better and, the leaves get much smaller.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a bonsai, but the banyan figs around the Edison place in Ft Myers are the coolest trees I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#24]
The day after seeing this thread, I saw some guy selling Bonsai's out of a van. I haven't seen that in years. I resisted the urge to pull over, Christmas is around the corner, and I knew that if I stopped I would spend money that I shouldn't.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#25]

I've killed lots of 'em.

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The day after seeing this thread, I saw some guy selling Bonsai's out of a van. I haven't seen that in years. I resisted the urge to pull over, Christmas is around the corner, and I knew that if I stopped I would spend money that I shouldn't.
View Quote

Same story except I saw the van 2 days ago. From NC to AZ, that man travels.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#28]
When ever I see a Bonsai, I always think back to 'Twin Peaks' and Gordon Cole.

BANSAI !!!!!!

Always wanted to get one, but I'm sure I would kill it.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
im trying to grow mangroves in my salt water reef aquarium. They arent looking too good but I just got them last week so hopefully in another week or 2 they will start growing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I had three of them, 10, 7, 5 years old

They all did great until I moved.

Guess they didn't like the change of location in the same town.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I killed 2 of them
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Beat it Miagi
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't like the ficus benjaminas much as they don't develop well and,they are prone to leaf drop.
The banyan figs (ficus retusa) are much better.
They grow aerial roots readily, hang onto leaves better and, the leaves get much smaller.
View Quote

Been traveling, just got back.

The google images search for that tree brings up some amazing trees! Thanks for the tip!

Though this recent bout of travel has proven one thing: there is no way I can own any sort of plant and this stage in my life. 

Info saved for a (much) later date. Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I tried and managed to kill one . Not sure how but it was dead as crap . I think the temp extremes were too much for it
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#37]

These are mine. They stay outside all the time. If you are going to keep one inside take a look species that prefer warmer weather. Ficus or Chinese Elm might be a good start.

I do bring in my Lodgepole for Christmas and dress it up for a few days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Been traveling, just got back.

The google images search for that tree brings up some amazing trees! Thanks for the tip!

Though this recent bout of travel has proven one thing: there is no way I can own any sort of plant and this stage in my life. 

Info saved for a (much) later date. Thanks fellas.
View Quote

Seriously.  Unless you can water it every day, or arrange for someone you trust, it won't work.

The ficus I have is pretty drought tolerant, and can go for up to a week without dying, but it WILL drop leaves and experience some tender die off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought my wife a lego bonsai tree for Christmas, if that counts.
Top Top