Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:05:59 AM EDT
Why are programs like SpyBot and Ad Aware free?

Hackers with something to prove?

Are they on the take, allowing some spyware to slip by for a fee?

Are They actually tracking us?

Nothing in life is free, so why are these nice folks keeping the spyware jerks from tracking my computer?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#1]

You need a tinfoil hat !  

Try some decaf.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You need a tinfoil hat !  

Try some decaf.  

You didn't give a better reason.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
www.opensource.org/

Check it, lots of folks help give out free software.

Spybot and Adaware both have free versions and paid versions.  They also get by on donations.  You also need to look at the viewpoint that maybe they think the internet is better off without spyware.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Your post gave me a virus.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Only the personal, i.e. limited functionality version is free.

For businesses, it's $49 per station.

It's a great way for IT people to try the product at home and then buy it with their dept budget.

Clever marketing, that's all

Now go kill some spyware!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That was funny !

Recoil , I was just trying to point out that not everyone is out to spy on you and not everyone is out to screw you over when it comes to computer software.  Ad-aware and Spybot do have a good thing going with their software by giving it away for free, It's just good marketing.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Now there's a collection of words that I never wanted to hear.  I think I'm going to have nightmares!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to have to run Spybot and Adaware every single day when I used IE, Thank God I dont need IE anymore.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Hummmm,

It's just that the new Ad Aware has an update feature that I was using today. It picks up all kinds of bad stuff on my computer and I don't pay'em anything. I just have to wonder, what's in it for them.

I see the marketing angle but there's got to be more to it then that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hummmm,

It's just that the new Ad Aware has an update feature that I was using today. It picks up all kinds of bad stuff on my computer and I don't pay'em anything. I just have to wonder, what's in it for them.

I see the marketing angle but there's got to be more to it then that.

I think Adobe Acrobat Reader is up to something...

I caught it sneaking my credit card back into my wallet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top