Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 6:09:19 AM EDT
I finshed my new computer last night (amd athlon 3000, geoforce 6800gt, 512mb of RAM) After I instelled windowsw I installed battlefield, and it runned perfectly. Now after playing it a while it freezes when I try to get on to the account server. What does this mean?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try to reinstall?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be a firewall issue. ZoneAlarm likes to pop up its "Program X is trying to access the Internet, shall I let it?" message behind the game screen and BF 2 is one of the games that won't ALT+TAB out to let you answer. No way out other than restarting the system and going into ZoneAlarm first to pre-allow access. Sometimes CTL-ALT-DEL works, sometimes it doesn't. No idea if the Windows XP firewall behaves the same way.

Also, like Battlefield 1942, BF2 sometimes takes so long refreshing its server list that it seems like it's locked up.

The only other lockups I've experienced with BF2 were heat and patch 1.01 related.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I solved the problem by reading the manual. I wasn't closing the other prgrams on my computer like AIM and Norton.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Okay, I solved the problem by reading the manual. I wasn't closing the other prgrams on my computer like AIM and Norton.

Shouldn't need to do that unless you didn't have enough ram to run it. I have Trillian, Xfire and TS open anytime I'm playing BF2 or AA. Doesn't effect them for me. I'm running with 1 gig of ram though.

-d
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the problem is that Norton thinks of BF2 as a worm or some such crap.

Isn't the first time I've heard of this problem, logging into the BF2 account server could be interpreted as a nefarious program trying to auto connect as part of a virus code.

The game will also lock up tight if the account server is down, if 2-3 attempts leave you without being able to log in it could be that the gamespy account server is down(happened 2 times so far since release).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top