Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 11:08:01 PM EDT
[size=4]Gun control tops Latino concerns[/size=4]

Survey also details views on education and abortion.

By Douglas Haberman / [email protected]

Latino voters favor gun-control measures by a wide margin and hold other views that show them largely aligned with the Democratic Party on domestic policy issues, a survey recently released by the Tomas Rivera Policy Institute found.

Gun control was a more important issue to the Latino voters surveyed than abortion or school vouchers, said Harry Pachon, president of the institute, which is at Claremont Graduate University and is also affiliated with Columbia University.

"It makes sense," he said. "Where are crimes committed? They're committed in the ghettos and the barrios." The institute conducted a telephone survey of 2,011 Latino registered voters in five states -- California, Florida, Illinois, New York and Texas -- in October 2000.

"It's the real voters and what they think," Pachon said. The institute undertook the survey "to get an accurate barometer of what the community thinks," which can be used in place of conjecture by pundits, he said.

Of the Latino voters surveyed, 64.7% favored gun-control legislation. But only 29.1% backed school vouchers. Both of those findings put them in the Democratic camp.
View Quote

[url]www.latimes.com/tcn/ontario/news/la-iv0021897apr13.story?coll=la%2Dtc[/url]

With the Latino population growing at the rate it is, it's just a matter of time before our state is "gun free", except for Latino gangs, of course.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"ITS OVER JOHNNY"      

[stick]

[sex]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Latino voters favor gun-control measures by a wide margin
View Quote

I guess you can take the man out of the third world, but you can't take the third world out of the man.

These people are so use to oppressive and corrupt governments that they want to import their way of thinking to the U.S!

Pathetic for them. Dangerous for the rest of us!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, and just how many of these 2,000 or so surveyed lived in the country, and how many in the bigger cities.

Plenty of room for question with these pollsters.  Could their sample stand up under scrutiny?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
... Sure! "Sinolan Cowboys" don't want any resistance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it is cause they come from a country with gun control.  I love that Simon said he would consider putting the national guard on the border and the paper said it would hurt him with the latino vote.  Like he had a chance anyhow.  Same reason I hate it when Bush panders to the latinos.  Losing your base for people who aren't going to vote for you anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Does California have a clue of what they want?  If it was not for guns they would still be Mexico.  Hell give it back to Mexico as far as I am concerned.  No offence to the good realistic folks that live there, but if that is the way that they want to be then keep it to them F##KING SELVES....  My state is beginning to look like a friggin Liberals state and I tell you one thing if it gets to that point I am living in a different state that does not have its head up its ass....
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
VIVA ESTADO UNIDOS DE MEXICO!
PRESIDENTE BUSH ES MUY BUENO AMIGO!
ARRANAR TODOS GRINGOS ESCOPETAS!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
VIVA ESTADO UNIDOS DE MEXICO!
PRESIDENTE BUSH ES MUY BUENO AMIGO!
ARRANAR TODOS GRINGOS ESCOPETAS!
View Quote

[url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/[/url]

STATE LIVES UNITED ON MEXICO! PRESIDENT BUSH IS VERY GOOD FRIEND! ARRANAR ALL FOREIGN GUNS!

[img]http://rockbottomdlux.freewebspace.com/smilies/Chair.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Just one more reason to deploy the military on our southern borders.  

Hey, while we're adopting Mexico's people, why don't we adopt Mexico's laws and form of government and really send the country down the $hitter?
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Agree with mattja: The only ones who will have the guns will be the gangbangers. What a country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top