Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 6:49:18 PM EDT
once again we've used the beautiful weather here in the southwest to enhance our new home (and boy does it need some enhancing!).  our project this weekend was replacing the old, battered, shredded aluminum framed screens with new ones (found some really cool kits at local home improvement store).

anywho, we've got the basics down, but are finding that we lack the finesse to have a nice taut screen.  not to mention that the spline roller tool is an absolute pain in the arse to control.  my question to you guys:  got any tips o' the trade to help make the job easier or the results better?

thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck having a helper.  I'd nail in one of the short ends, then have a helper hold the other short end around me while I nailed it in.  It required putting the spline in in four sections, but you have a taut (lengthwise) screen when you nail the sides down, and you don't get any wrinkles that way.  Also, BE PATIENT.

FFZ
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a ROLLING spline tool or just one of the cheap knife types?
The rolling ones work the best, but you really need 4 hands.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm no expert at it either, but I've had better luck with metal screening, instead of the plastic stuff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have a ROLLING spline tool or just one of the cheap knife types?
The rolling ones work the best, but you really need 4 hands.
View Quote

yeah, we got one of those rolling ones.  which occassionally rolls right out of the track and full speed ahead over the fingers trying to keep the spline in line.  ouch!

waldo, i'd love to just have new windows installed but we don't have the funds for that right now.  i really hate aluminum windows.  hate 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top