Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 6:42:07 PM EDT
My great-uncle, Herschel A. Watson, Jr, passed away this morning.  He was a Marine aviator flying F4U Corsairs during World War 2, for which he earned the Distinguished Flying Cross, and A1 Skyraiders during the Korean War.  I don't know how long after the wars he stayed in the Marine Corps Reserve, but he went on to work as an engineer, including on the heat-resistant tiles for the shuttle program.

My main memories of him were talking about the pictures we had found of him in 'his' Corsair during World War 2, he'd told his mother the holes in his wing were from some rivets popping loose, but agreed with me when I pointed out that they didn't match the pattern of rivet holes and instead matching Japanese machine guns, but said that he certainly couldn't have told his mother that.  I'm hoping to get at least copies of those pictures, his wish was that his body be donated to science, so there apparently won't be a family memorial service due to everybody being scattered across the country, but my mother is within driving distance and will be going to help her cousin clean up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Would love to see some of them old pictures

Rest in peace soldier . You have served your country with honor , and we are indeed most grateful .
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
RIP Devil Dog
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
He may have flown air support for my dad in those wars.

RIP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top